Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NFL truth: Hip-hop culture hurting NFL

People act like assholes at all level of sport.

The level of assholery just intensifies as the stage gets bigger and the dollars get higher.

I have seen arrogant, cocky, selfish high school players and I have seen arrogant, cocky and selfish college players in all sports. Does hip hop culture affect it? Probably. But it is just the nature of people, IMO.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

When I was growing up I was hip to a totally different scene.....man.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey" wrote:
    People act like assholes at all level of sport.

The level of assholery just intensifies as the stage gets bigger and the dollars get higher.

I have seen arrogant, cocky, selfish high school players and I have seen arrogant, cocky and selfish college players in all sports. Does hip hop culture affect it? Probably. But it is just the nature of people, IMO.
    Treading carefully here:

The biggest problem with professional athletes is that they have been taught from an early age that they are special because they are fast or can kick/bounce/shoot/throw/hit a ball with great skill.
    The early potential is identified and then often exploited by callous adults who cloak their own desire for glory in weak platitudes about supporting the children.

In the big money sports, the benefits to the best athletes are evident from an early age - from being able to skate by in school or mouth off in home room with no consequence to out-and-out money and payola to parents and transferring high schools.

By the time someone like PacMan Jones gets to the NFL, he's had his ass kissed and been shown that he can do whatever the fuck he wants and he won't get in serious trouble for the past 15 years of his life.
    Why should he act in a way that people who've had to toe-the-line their whole lives (read:
    you, me and everyone else you know) would act?
    He's never had to do so before in his life - and now he's got tons of dough.

That said - I do feel that the predominant messages of hip-hop or rap and how the industry potrays itself in their videos, fashion and stylings is one of anger, disrepect, misogyny, foul language and violence.
    I also admit, that I have only dipped my toe into today's music (after having listened to plenty of early pioneers like NWA, Public Enemy and such while in college in the late 80s - I was a DJ at my college radio station).
    But I am culturally aware enough to see and know more than most of my age-group.
    The reality is that perception rules - and the perception that main-stream society has when they hear hip-hop or rap is bitches, hos and guns, with a lot of motherfucker this and nigga that.
    Debating whether or not that is really what is being said in the music is beside that fact.
    That's what the mainstream perception is.

When young, predominantly black, athletes dress like hip-hoppers, the perception will naturally flow to them.
    And then when one of them does something incredibly stupid (see:
    Henry, Chris), the association is made in the not-very-in-depth mind of the public.

(Hope this didn't get disjointed at the end....there was an hour-long interruption for 3-year-old breakfast, LOL)

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

The only one to blame is the individual and their actions. Blaming anyone or anything else would just be an excuse for their stupidity. People who blame Hip Hop have no knowledge on why this form of music was created. Sure there are bad influences in the culture but so does country and rock. Why are we not blaming that type of music for Jeffery Dahmer of Timothy McVeigh? I am sure they listened to it. One it is foolish. The other reason I will keep to myself because I do not want to start drama but I think you all know what I am talking about.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    The only one to blame is the individual and their actions. Blaming anyone or anything else would just be an excuse for their stupidity. People who blame Hip Hop have no knowledge on why this form of music was created. Sure there are bad influences in the culture but so does country and rock. Why are we not blaming that type of music for Jeffery Dahmer of Timothy McVeigh? I am sure they listened to it. One it is foolish. The other reason I will keep to myself because I do not want to start drama but I think you all know what I am talking about.
    Dead on, mars!
    The individual needs to man up for what he does wrong...and I have no sympathy for anyone who gets caught screwing up...since there are PLENTY of athletes who will step up and take their place in college and pro sports.
    The road to professional sports glory is littered with the carcasses of those who took the wrong paths...and the ONLY one who really loses is the individual himself.
    The games will go on!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    People act like donkey butts at all level of sport.

Treading carefully here:

The biggest problem with professional athletes is that they have been taught from an early age that they are special because they are fast or can kick/bounce/shoot/throw/hit a ball with great skill.
    The early potential is identified and then often exploited by callous adults who cloak their own desire for glory in weak platitudes about supporting the children.

In the big money sports, the benefits to the best athletes are evident from an early age - from being able to skate by in school or mouth off in home room with no consequence to out-and-out money and payola to parents and transferring high schools.

By the time someone like PacMan Jones gets to the NFL, he's had his jiggly butt kissed and been shown that he can do whatever the floop he wants and he won't get in serious trouble for the past 15 years of his life.
    Why should he act in a way that people who've had to toe-the-line their whole lives (read:

That said - I do feel that the predominant messages of hip-hop or rap and how the industry potrays itself in their videos, fashion and stylings is one of anger, disrepect, misogyny, foul language and violence.
    I also admit, that I have only dipped my toe into today's music (after having listened to plenty of early pioneers like NWA, Public Enemy and such while in college in the late 80s - I was a DJ at my college radio station).
    But I am culturally aware enough to see and know more than most of my age-group.
    The reality is that perception rules - and the perception that main-stream society has when they hear hip-hop or rap is bitches, hos and guns, with a lot of does naughty things to mom this and nigga that.
    Debating whether or not that is really what is being said in the music is beside that fact.

When young, predominantly black, athletes dress like hip-hoppers, the perception will naturally flow to them.
    Henry, Chris), the association is made in the not-very-in-depth mind of the public.

(Hope this didn't get disjointed at the end....there was an hour-long interruption for 3-year-old breakfast, LOL)

=Z=
    Zeus was known as the Lawrence Welk of Amherst...he just LOVES those show tunes and big band numbers!
    :P
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    People act like donkey butts at all level of sport.

Treading carefully here:

By the time someone like PacMan Jones gets to the NFL, he's had his jiggly butt kissed and been shown that he can do whatever the floop he wants and he won't get in serious trouble for the past 15 years of his life.

The reality is that perception rules - and the perception that main-stream society has when they hear hip-hop or rap is bitches, hos and guns, with a lot of does naughty things to mom this and nigga that.

=Z=
    Zeus was known as the Lawrence Welk of Amherst...he just LOVES those show tunes and big band numbers!
    :P
    Wunnerful Wunnerful

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234