Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    litlharsh is offline Coordinator

Re: NFL truth: Hip-hop culture hurting NFL

hahahaha Jesus this guy has been the subject of so many rap songs.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

I dunno, I thought the article was pretty good...
    There are some merits to the "culture" issue being a problem... not saying it's hip-hop or anything like that, and I don't think that's what I took from the article... I took that there is a problem with the culture of some of the players and it's caused issues... and look for a winning combo..

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Hip-hop culture isn't the thing motivating these guys to act "buffoonish". I don't see how the author could even see that. It may be my love for hip-hop blinding me, but when he cites 0 credible examples regarding how the culture is affecting them to the point of "foolishness", then I see about 0 credible examples. Black youth turn to hip hop, true. But that's not what's causing the actions that obviously cause this guy so much grief. It's their desire for attention, desire for respect, desire for entertaining the fans. Christ this stuff is equivalent to rock and roll in the earlier days, a scapegoat for authority figures. The whitewashing proves only that they gave the best chance to win.

Chamillionaire says it well, as have NUMEROUS other rappers:
    Chamillionaire wrote:
    Rest in peace to Virgina Tech, too many innocent kids dyin'
    Well let's just blame hip-hop and act like that's the real problem

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

lol, litlharsh dropping knowledge on fools.
    ;D
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

I don't necessarily believe it's Hip Hop, and don't know if it's culture.
    But, it is absolutely undeniable that there is a more prominent aspect of the game to celebrate success, whether it be marginal (like a first down when you are 3 TD's behind), or, significant, like Ryan Longwell's 55 yard FG to win as time expired.
    To me, the latter is understandible...the former, I don't get now, nor have I ever understood.
    There is also, seemingly, a lack of consideration for the integrity of the game.

Let's contrast a couple of players...my perception.
    Ray Lewis - amazing leader, emotional and by example, one helluva player, celebrates tackles, dances, had some issues...hopefully, he's done with them; also, an incredible teammate, or so it seems.
    Chad Johnson - seemingly a media whore, pouts, touts himself, unbelievably, dons a jacket with "Future Hall of Famer" prominent...are you kidding me?
    He contributes to the Team by blocking (sometimes), and has caused more problems than his talent is worth IMO.
    Adrian Peterson - Bob Stoops said, "he is most interested in getting better and being a great teammate."
    Is Ray Lewis acting "buffoonish?"
    NO
    Chad Johnson, YES.
    Adrian Peterson, ah, no.

Dick Butkus was quoted many years ago as saying, "why would I help anyone up after I worked so hard to knock him down."
    Barry Sanders said his Dad told him, "when you score a TD, act like you've been there before."
    Neither one of these HOFers celebrated unnecessarily, nor, ever gave their coaches crap.
    Old timer, and recent old-timer...was that buffoonish...ah, no.

I agree wholeheartedly with BadLandsViking...it IS all on the individual.
    In fact, the 5 synopses above are my poor attempt to depict the point.

By the way, Jason, you forget to acknowledge one of the most influential players in the HISTORY of the NFL, Alan Page.
    Whereas I would never, ever, represent how he might feel regarding this provacative stance, I would be absolutely thrilled to hear what he might have to say...he's immesurably qualified...I'm not.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"litlharsh" wrote:
    Hip-hop culture isn't the thing motivating these guys to act "buffoonish". I don't see how the author could even see that. It may be my love for hip-hop blinding me, but when he cites 0 credible examples regarding how the culture is affecting them to the point of "foolishness", then I see about 0 credible examples. Black youth turn to hip hop, true. But that's not what's causing the actions that obviously cause this guy so much grief. It's their desire for attention, desire for respect, desire for entertaining the fans. Christ this stuff is equivalent to rock and roll in the earlier days, a scapegoat for authority figures. The whitewashing proves only that they gave the best chance to win.

Chamillionaire wrote:
    Yeah, your love for hip-hop is blinding you. Anyone with two eyes, and who isn't immersed in hip-hop, can see what he's saying. And your quote about "Black youth" is completely uninformed. Black or white or brown... there are people everywhere listening to hip-hop regardless of race.

And about your "Chamillionaire" quote (like how you talk about "credible sources" then quote "Chamillionaire"... found that pretty funny). Hip-hop isn't the problem, it's the people listening to it.

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

lol, C Mac D is so predictable.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

davike is offline Team Alumni

"C" wrote:
    "litlharsh" wrote:

Chamillionaire wrote:
    Yeah, your love for hip-hop is blinding you. Anyone with two eyes, and who isn't immersed in hip-hop, can see what he's saying. And your quote about "Black youth" is completely uninformed. Black or white or brown... there are people everywhere listening to hip-hop regardless of race.

And about your "Chamillionaire" quote (like how you talk about "credible sources" then quote "Chamillionaire"... found that pretty funny). Hip-hop isn't the problem, it's the people listening to it.

Why don't you actually listen to some good hip hop and then come back and post. You really think that hip hop is ruining the NFL? Read my first post.

This guy brings up a few troublemaking players. There is about 3 percent of the players in the NFL who cause trouble, and that little three percent ruins the NFLs name and the rest of the NFL players names because of the ridiculous media attention they get. If the media didn't give them so much camera time to mouth off about their team, do you think they would do it? Darren Sharper was talking about this sometime last spring. He said that he and other good NFL players are offended by them. The media still is more in control of this type of thing then people realize. If the media was more decent about certain stuff they put out there, I think we could cut down this stuff. Would T.O mouth off about his coaches if it never got put on TV?

Hip hop isn't the reason for trouble makers in the NFL.

The media has so much power in the world. If there is bad one sided media in a country what do you suppose would happen?

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

"C" wrote:
    "litlharsh" wrote:

Chamillionaire wrote:

So you disagreed with me...to agree with me? I'll take it!

Edit: I'm not exactly sure what you hoped to accomplish by stating the obvious. Yes different races accept hip-hop, but the article's focus was on black players getting "brainwashed" by it, not anyone else. The players choose the lifestlye because of their personality, not the other way around, with players getting victimized by a culture where violence and lawlessness reign supreme. Christ this is such a load of bullshit. And with the Cham quote, I was simply giving an example of how hip-hop gets a full assault seemingly daily. And that's not even counting Bill O'Reilly.

"TimmyT" wrote:
    lol, litlharsh dropping knowledge on fools.
    ;D
    ha I was thinking of bumpin the hip-hop topic with this thread seeing if hip-hop lovers could add some of their thoughts. I was hoping you'd see it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast