Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

NFL truth: Hip-hop culture hurting NFL

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7343980?MSNHPHMA

Jason Whitlock - Fox Sports

You get one NFL Truth today. Watching Chad Johnson and Larry Johnson undermine their respective head coaches, Marvin Lewis and Herm Edwards, on Sunday gave me a singular focus, forced me to contemplate an uncomfortable truth.

African-American football players caught up in the rebellion and buffoonery of hip hop culture have given NFL owners and coaches a justifiable reason to whiten their rosters. That will be the legacy left by Chad, Larry and Tank Johnson, Pacman Jones, Terrell Owens, Michael Vick and all the other football bojanglers.

In terms of opportunity for American-born black athletes, they're going to leave the game in far worse shape than they found it...Hip hop athletes are being rejected because they're not good for business and, most important, because they don't contribute to a consistent winning environment. Herm Edwards said it best: You play to win the game.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Re: NFL truth: Hip-hop culture hurting NFL

Blame it on hip-hop? :

Bullshit.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I blame it on giving some young punk millions of dollars when he's a rookie

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    I blame it on giving some young punk millions of dollars when he's a rookie
    I blame it ALL on the individual.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

One more quick quote from the article, which summarizes his main point rather well.

Race is not the determining factor when it comes to having a good or bad attitude. Culture is.

Hip hop is the dominant culture for black youth. In general, music, especially hip hop music, is rebellious for no good reason other than to make money. Rappers and rockers are not trying to fix problems. They create problems for attention.

That philosophy, attitude and behavior go against everything football coaches stand for. They're in a constant battle to squash rebellion, dissent and second opinions from their players.

You know why Muhammad Ali is/was an icon? Because he rebelled against something meaningful and because he excelled in an individual sport. His rebellion didn't interfere with winning. Jim Brown, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, etc. rebelled with dignity and purpose.

What we're witnessing today are purposeless, selfish acts of buffoonery. Sensible people have grown tired of it. Football people are recognizing it doesn't contribute to a winning environment.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"There's so much drama in the NFL...
    It's kinda hard being Roger, known as Mr. Goodell...
    But he, he somehow, some way...
    Comes up wit funky ol' rules nearly every single day.."
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

I can't say I disagree with the idea that American-born black NFL players who embrace the rebelliousness of "hip-hop culture" have made owners and coaches look elsewhere for talent. I don't know if that necessarily means that they are intentionally "whitening their rosters", but the majority of teams sure aren't going out of their way to sign rebellious rule-breakers, troublemakers or me-first type players in general (black or white).
    Even babies know the difference.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

What about those crazy southern cowboys?

We can't have players firing 6-shooters and spitting chew everywhere, either...
    -Sno

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

that article is bs, blaming it on hip hop.... thats stupid, players just want to win and when there not winning there emotion takes over in the spot.... although i think its stupid that they so that to there coaches its not cuz of hip hop

davike is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "There's so much drama in the NFL...
    It's kinda hard being Roger, known as Mr. Goodell...
    But he, he somehow, some way...
    Comes up wit funky ol' rules nearly every single day.."
    Lol, Cajun throwin it down!

This guy brings up a few troublemaking players. There is about 3 percent of the players in the NFL who cause trouble, and that little three percent ruins the NFLs name and the rest of the NFL players names because of the ridiculous media attention they get. If the media didn't give them so much camera time to mouth off about their team, do you think they would do it? Darren Sharper was talking about this sometime last spring. He said that he and other good NFL players are offended by them. The media still is more in control of this type of thing then people realize. If the media was more decent about certain stuff they put out there, I think we could cut down this stuff. Would T.O mouth off about his coaches if it never got put on TV?

Hip hop isn't the reason for trouble makers in the NFL.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast