Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

NFL: The Top 25 Quarterbacks of All Time

...I have seen some formulas that are just too confusing, so I made a simple one and it is as follows:

MVP awards= 10 points
    Super Bowl wins= 5 points
    Super Bowl losses= -2 points
    Pro Bowl selections = 2 points
    Total Career Yards= 1 point for every 1000 yards rounded to the closest whole number
    Career Yards per Attempt= 1 point per yard rounded to closest whole number
    Career Touchdowns= 1 point for every 10 touchdowns
    Career interceptions= - 1 point for every interception
    Total career wins= 1 point every 10 wins rounded
    Winning Seasons= 2 points every winning season played
    Losing Seasons= -1 point per losing season

Using this formula, I have devised a ranking of the 25 best quarterbacks in the game of football.
    For the asshats that are too lazy to click on the links and slideshow, here's the list:

25. Roger Staubach
    24. Boomer Esiason
    23. Phil Simms
    22. Donovan McNabb
    21. Roman Gabriel
    20. Bob Griese
    19. Bart Starr
    18. Ken Stabler
    17. Dan Fouts
    16. Drew Bledsoe
    15. Troy Aikman
    14. Kurt Warner
    13. Len Dawson
    12. Otto Graham
    11. Warren Moon
    10. Fran Tarkenton
    9. Terry Bradshaw
    8. Tom Brady
    7. Steve Young
    6. John Elway
    5. Dan Marino
    4. Johnny Unitas
    3. Joe Montana
    2. Peyton Manning
    1. Brett Favre
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Re: NFL: The Top 25 Quarterbacks of All Time

Not a terrible list in that they probably have at least 20 of the 25 right, maybe more.

Obviously the game has changed quite a bit from the past, so yardage and TD numbers are a little skewed.

But as far as formulas go, this one is not that bad.
    None

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re:NFL: The Top 25 Quarterbacks of All Time

Favre will forever be immortalized in football history as one of the best to ever play the game. I am sure they already have a nice area in Canton picked out for his bust to go in about five or six years.

Is he sure about that timeframe?
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Not a horrible list, though the point scale is obviously subjective. It also penalizes great QBs pre 1980 or so when the rules changed to favor the passing game. Also not sure why you would deduct points for SB losses...isn't reaching the game good enough? It also penalizes QBs who had short careers.

At any rate, let's look at this list and see who we might be missing that should be on there, and maybe who shouldn't...

Does a Bledsoe or Gabriel deserve to be on there more than say, a Ken Anderson? Was Phil Simms really that good of a QB that he deserves to be anywhere in the top 25, or was he more a product of a great Giants defense and running game? Not that I think he was that deserving, but no Joe Willie Namath? No Sammy Baugh?
    SKOL VIKINGS!

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Not a horrible list, though the point scale is obviously subjective. It also penalizes great QBs pre 1980 or so when the rules changed to favor the passing game. Also not sure why you would deduct points for SB losses...isn't reaching the game good enough? It also penalizes QBs who had short careers.

At any rate, let's look at this list and see who we might be missing that should be on there, and maybe who shouldn't...

Does a Bledsoe or Gabriel deserve to be on there more than say, a Ken Anderson? Was Phil Simms really that good of a QB that he deserves to be anywhere in the top 25, or was he more a product of a great Giants defense and running game? Not that I think he was that deserving, but no Joe Willie Namath? No Sammy Baugh? No Jim Kelly, for gosh sakes?
    SKOL VIKINGS!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I don't mind the formula. I am sure if someone is bored at work, they can play with the numbers and change the list to have the top 25 they want in there. Add passing yards or something.
    We're bringing purple back.

green hornet is offline Starter

You have Brett Favre ahead of Bart Starr, LOL
    Some people know nothing about football.

Prophet wrote:

...I have seen some formulas that are just too confusing, so I made a simple one and it is as follows:

MVP awards= 10 points
    Total Career Yards= 1 point for every 1000 yards rounded to the closest whole number

Using this formula, I have devised a ranking of the 25 best quarterbacks in the game of football.
    For the asshats that are too lazy to click on the links and slideshow, here's the list:

25. Roger Staubach
    24. Boomer Esiason
    23. Phil Simms
    22. Donovan McNabb
    21. Roman Gabriel
    20. Bob Griese
    19. Bart Starr
    18. Ken Stabler
    17. Dan Fouts
    16. Drew Bledsoe
    15. Troy Aikman
    14. Kurt Warner
    13. Len Dawson
    12. Otto Graham
    11. Warren Moon
    10. Fran Tarkenton
    9. Terry Bradshaw
    8. Tom Brady
    7. Steve Young
    6. John Elway
    5. Dan Marino
    4. Johnny Unitas
    3. Joe Montana
    2. Peyton Manning
    1. Brett Favre

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

green hornet wrote:
    You have Brett Favre ahead of Bart Starr, LOL
    Some people know nothing about football.

Prophet wrote:

MVP awards= 10 points

25. Roger Staubach
    24. Boomer Esiason
    23. Phil Simms
    22. Donovan McNabb
    21. Roman Gabriel
    20. Bob Griese
    19. Bart Starr
    18. Ken Stabler
    17. Dan Fouts
    16. Drew Bledsoe
    15. Troy Aikman
    14. Kurt Warner
    13. Len Dawson
    12. Otto Graham
    11. Warren Moon
    10. Fran Tarkenton
    9. Terry Bradshaw
    8. Tom Brady
    7. Steve Young
    6. John Elway
    5. Dan Marino
    4. Johnny Unitas
    3. Joe Montana
    2. Peyton Manning
    1. Brett Favre
    The list is based off a formula made up, not someone's opinion.

And yes, when you hear people talk of the top 5 ever, Favre is almost always included, Starr is rarely ever mentioned.

I don't get the people who say that Starr was better or worse than Favre. They are two players who played in entirely different eras of football. Starr had great stats and winning percentages, but he played in a very run-heavy era of football. I for one would love to see what would happen if you stuck Favre on the 60's Packers teams, and Starr in the 92-present Packers teams, how each would perform.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    And yes, when you hear people talk of the top 5 ever, Favre is almost always included, Starr is rarely ever mentioned.

I don't get the people who say that Starr was better or worse than Favre. They are two players who played in entirely different eras of football. Starr had great stats and winning percentages, but he played in a very run-heavy era of football. I for one would love to see what would happen if you stuck Favre on the 60's Packers teams, and Starr in the 92-present Packers teams, how each would perform.
    The talent that Starr had was vastly superior to the talent that Favre had - I think that's the biggest reason why Favre gets listed and Starr doesn't (other than that people are stupid and only look at stats, but I digress).

Free agency has totally changed the way teams are built, as we all know. Not being able to stockpile players and hold on to them until you're done with them is the biggest factor, IMHO, in judging older teams and players vs. the newer ones. If Vince Lombardi isn't able to hold onto all of those great players forever (and Lambeau before him), how many of those titles would they have won? Plus - add in the pressures of the cap and it's a whole different playing field in the modern era.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

The talent that Starr had was vastly superior to the talent that Favre had - I think that's the biggest reason why Favre gets listed and Starr doesn't (other than that people are stupid and only look at stats, but I digress).

Free agency has totally changed the way teams are built, as we all know. Not being able to stockpile players and hold on to them until you're done with them is the biggest factor, IMHO, in judging older teams and players vs. the newer ones. If Vince Lombardi isn't able to hold onto all of those great players forever (and Lambeau before him), how many of those titles would they have won? Plus - add in the pressures of the cap and it's a whole different playing field in the modern era.

=Z=
    I agree. I think that the biggest thing that most people go back to is his O-line. His own guys called him the Statue of Liberty. I think that says enough.

That said, there's nothing to go by that he would've failed without those players. Tobin Rote, the guy that was the starter before Starr, he was a decent player, but couldn't get the team anywhere. The Packers went 28 - 55 under him (0.337) and ended up at the bottom of the division most of the time. Then, under mainly Babe Parilli, the Pack went 4-19 (0.160). Parilli later went on to become a borderline HoF-er in Boston.

The biggest thing that works against Starr is that Lombardi came in at the same time that he did. I truly believe that Lombardi let those players play better than they where. It was just a finely tuned machine. Bart Starr might've gotten the NFL MVP, All-Pros, SB MVPs, but he had two previous NFL MVPs at RB and FB. He had an amazing O-line and a defense with players such as Willie Anderson and Dave Robinson. His supporting cast was undeniable.

That said, he's the Nr. 1 Packers QB, if you ask me.

And this list lacks Ken Anderson. You can't have a top 25 QB list with Boomer Esiason, but leave out Ken Anderson.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast