Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

NFL set to tackle excessive crowd noise

NFL set to tackle excessive crowd noise

SEATTLE, Sept. 24 (UPI) -- NFL teams regard loud stadiums like Seattle's Qwest Field as a home advantage, but the league is looking to make crowd noise less a problem for visitors.

NFL officials are looking into the possibility of a helmet-to-helmet wireless communication system for visiting players to help them to work around the raucous crowds, The New York Times reported.

The concept is aimed at finding a level of equality for both sides of a football game in relation to penalties and success, without taking away from the fun and excitement of cheering for the home team.

"That's what our game is about: our athletes and coaches playing at the highest possible level and being able to execute their game plans," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell earlier this month.

"To some extent right now, I think we are hindering that a little bit," he said, "because they come into an opposing stadium and they are not able to put the full offense in, they are not able to run plays in, they are not able to change the plays at the line of scrimmage."

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...4-092803-7049r

I watched the Seattle game on Sunday and the crowd caused a number of false starts and Time-outs to be called, there is a rule on excessive crowd noise that was not called....

Loss of team time out(s) or five-yard penalty on the defense for excessive crowd noise.
    So why have the rule on the books if it is never enforced? Bringing this helmet to helmet idea in is maybe the NFL's answer, the fans get to make noise and the visiting team doesn't become disadvantaged.

However IMO the home team should have an advantage and taking the crowd out of the game would reduce that significantly.

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: NFL set to tackle excessive crowd noise

Excessive Crowd noise its only a problem for visiting teams. The NFL Representatives are really taking a good game of passion and philosophy and turning it into some kind of ridiculus i cant describe put $hit like this really pulls on the short and curlie.
    DUUUUH CROWD NOISE IS THE HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE
    HORNS UP CHEEZHEADS DOWN
    THE METAL ONE
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

No Fun League is striking again.
    How many stupid rules do they have to make to change the game before they realize that the majority of NFL fans are getting sick of this stupid shit.
    Taking away the crowd significantly lowers homefield advantage which makes the fans even less a part of the game.
    They need to get some people in the upper ranks of the NFL that are in touch with the normal NFL fan.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

I can't believe it has actually come to this. A helmet-to-helmet system wouldn't mean players reaching full potential, it would be adding a technological aide.
    -Sno

Deronn is offline Starter

Another thing I've noticed is that the hitting has been way to agressive on the field.

I propose they look into banning tackling, too. After all, "that's what our game is all about: our athletes and coaches playing at the highest possible level and being able to execute their game plans."

With players being injured, hobbled and banged up all too often the team's best performance is not realized because they don't have their top players on the field

OK,.... back to reality. What a bunch of crap. It's football, not tennis or golf. Crowd noise has and will always be part of the game. I'm sick of everything being chopped up and analyzed to death to make it "fair."

It's a road game.... it's not supposed to be fair!

Sorry, rant off.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

meh screw that, anyone who has been to the dome knows how fun it is to be a part of that

players realise crowd noise is a factor, thats why u have silent calls/signals

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler

"Deronn" wrote:
    Another thing I've noticed is that the hitting has been way to agressive on the field.

I propose they look into banning tackling, too. After all, "that's what our game is all about: our athletes and coaches playing at the highest possible level and being able to execute their game plans."

With players being injured, hobbled and banged up all too often the team's best performance is not realized because they don't have their top players on the field

OK,.... back to reality. What a bunch of crap. It's football, not tennis or golf. Crowd noise has and will always be part of the game. I'm sick of everything being chopped up and analyzed to death to make it "fair."

It's a road game.... it's not supposed to be fair!

Sorry, rant off.

;D
    Good Laughs.... they cant be serious? ???

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

Here it comes.
    Full QB communication with all team members so he can compensate for the "crowd noise."
    But it will also allow him to call out "cut right," etc to change the play.
    So will the defensive coordinator "eye in the booth" also have communications to call out defensive adjustments as the play unfolds?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    Here it comes.
    Full QB communication with all team members so he can compensate for the "crowd noise."
    But it will also allow him to call out "cut right," etc to change the play.
    So will the defensive coordinator "eye in the booth" also have communications to call out defensive adjustments as the play unfolds?
    The current QB-Coach headsets are one-way and cut off when the play-clock gets to 15 seconds (or something like that).
    I would imagine that any future communication devices would work under the same principle.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Prophet Guest

That's a very subjective penalty.
    Are they going to use a meter?
    Maybe I won't attend any games if I have to spend $500+ and they don't allow me to cheer.
    Come on, that's homefield advantage.
    I am against pumping in sound though, but if the fans are loud, more power to them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast