Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

NFL Season to Start with Replacement Refs

look, this isn't fun and we haven't seen since 2001. But given the poor preseason presence I have a bad feeling they will muck up some results this year.

If any team is good enough they can oversome camel-guzzling calls. Any team trying to ascend like ours with questionable skills...its a challenge.

I still fundamentally can't understand that calls that are the same for these college beefs can't be made in the big time. Its not that different.

So how soon before you all break your fists on your TV with the horsecrap calls we saw in preseason become reality this year?!

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I still fundamentally can't understand that calls that are the same for these college beefs can't be made in the big time. Its not that different.
    That is due mostly cause these guys are washed out or 3rd tier college refs, I've heard that the NCAA refs got their contract done recently that the NFL was left with the unemployeed college guys, high school, lingerie football and the WWF refs (the guy that doesn't see a chair in the ring ) last time this happened the NCAA didn't have a contract in place for their refs and the NFL borrowed their better ones.

Dibbzz is offline Starter
    This is going to be a long year if this type of shit has to happen each and every game...

New NFL Refs...too funny - YouTube

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    I tend to think that this isn't as big an issue as some want to make it. Seriously, we watch the "A" team ref do the same things......(face the wrong way from the camera, call the wrong guys number, have to huddle to figure out what just happened, make bad calls etc).

In the end, all teams are faced with the same caliber of refs and will have the same bad calls made and ultimately, the play on the field, and not a few calls, will decide games just like it has been for many many years.

Oh, by the way, and the fans will beeeeyyyyyatch about the refs no matter what they do.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I tend to think that this isn't as big an issue as some want to make it. Seriously, we watch the "A" team ref do the same things......(face the wrong way from the camera, call the wrong guys number, have to huddle to figure out what just happened, make bad calls etc).

In the end, all teams are faced with the same caliber of refs and will have the same bad calls made and ultimately, the play on the field, and not a few calls, will decide games just like it has been for many many years.

Oh, by the way, and the fans will beeeeyyyyyatch about the refs no matter what they do.
    I think your understating the importance of how the refs impact the way a game is played. Usually you have a feel for a given crew, whether they are lenient or strict. In either case, you can adjust and adapt to the crew. With the set of misfits that are going to be out there, it's totally random, quite often wrong, and can be very disruptive in the flow of the game.

Whether it helps or hurts the Vikings, toss a coin. The bigger issue is that it will
    take away from the quality of football that we will see.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    The good refs have cost teams games. Just imagine how bad it is going to be with the replacement officials for the none prime time games where the even worse teams of officials are going to be. Like our game this weekend. Be prepared for a disaster.
    We're bringing purple back.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    IMO, the replacement refs are unlikely to influence outcomes in any specific direction. They'll make bad calls, but it should balance out across the board, for the most part. I personally think that, being unfamiliar with the players and coaches, they are less likely than the regular officials to unconsciously play favorites.

Yes, I said it. You know they do it, even if it isn't a conscious thing.

So, overall I think it hurts the game as a whole much more than any given team or individual.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    with week 1 mostly over..
    it's obvious that the refs arn't going to cut it.. it's kinda funny to read about the mistakes that were done around the nfl yesterday not even just in the vikes game..

something needs to happen asap

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    I guess Rodger forgot to tell the replacement crews that while in Green Bay, EVERY close call is required to go in the Pukers favor. They had 9 penalties in the first half alone. I am sure this will be unacceptable in the league offices. That alone may help get the lockout resolved. It's likely they are crying out loud in GB today. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    I guess Rodger forgot to tell the replacement crews that while in Green Bay, EVERY close call is required to go in the Pukers favor. They had 9 penalties in the first half alone. I am sure this will be unacceptable in the league offices. That alone may help get the lockout resolved. It's likely they are crying out loud in GB today. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
    lol 10 penalties for 77 yds which was more than Benson & Rodgers combined and watching that game Aikman & Buck were getting in a real stew about the 'bad' calls. Best one was Matthews getting a roughing the passer penalty, given that the ball was passed before he lifted his arms and jumped on Smith it made the bitching from the TV crew even more funny
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast