Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NFL Schedule to be released on April 6

POST THAT SCHED!!! POST THAT SCHED!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I don't think it comes out until 1 PM EST. Patience my friend!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

"ChezPizmo" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    KFFL
    Dolphins | Team will host Minnesota Nov. 19
    Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:28:38 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Miami Dolphins are scheduled to host the Minnesota Vikings Sunday, Nov. 19.

Vikings | Team to play in Miami Nov. 19
    Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:28:17 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings are scheduled to visit the Miami Dolphins Sunday, Nov. 19.
    Just our luck we play them AT Miami.
    Oh well. We'll just go kick Pepper's @$$ at HIS new home.
    Yeah.....just hope its primetime so the whole nation can see! :lol:

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

[size=18px]Release of NFL schedule is an event[/size]
    [size=9px]By Mark Kreidler[/size]

And the winner is ... well, tell you what: It's the late Pete Rozelle, in a rout. And why? Because Rozelle's consuming vision for the National Football League, that it would become not only the preeminent sport in America but also the perfect synthesis of entertainment and marketing, has been fully realized.

And I can support that argument in two words:
    Schedule ... release.

Oh, it's happening today. Watch this very Web site. Children will laugh. Adults will weep. The NFL's creators will come down from the mount with the announcement that all of America has been waiting for, 17 weeks of sporting Nirvana, broken down into time, location and broadcast partner, chiseled into a few lovely stones. And all will feel right with the world again.

Not even Rozelle, with his public-relations background and his incredible gift of promotion, would have dared to dream that the NFL's biggest days of the year would ultimately line up like this: Super Bowl, Draft Day, Opening Sunday and ... Schedule Release Day.

But it makes sense, doesn't it? It's all cut from the same cloth. It's all about who ultimately plays whom, and when, and how much it's worth.

If only we could figure out how to get down a bet on what date the Eagles-Giants game will be, we'd be made complete. But it isn't half-bad as it is.

And now, with ESPN in the fray, nothing seems beyond reach in terms of promotion. Count on Schedule Release Day to be written into the Holy Tabulature of Programming, somewhere between the X Games Opening Ceremony and Mel Kiper Jr.'s new prime-time special, "So Slow In the 40 He Can't Catch Grief." (Let's face it, it isn't sports until ESPN says it is.)

Of course, this type of nuttiness befits the NFL at almost every turn. You know you've got a product being obsessed over when sports fans are willing to spend weeks debating Brett Favre's future, as if there were a significant question yet to be answered as Favre "contemplates" what to do. (Note to Packers fans: He threw 29 interceptions last year, and you're still a rebuilding team. Nothing changed. That ain't mystery, that's hysteria.)

You know you're on the right track in terms of marketing when the commissioner of your league decides to step down ... and the U.S. secretary of state gets lined up as a possible replacement. In the end, Condi Rice said she wasn't interested in going for the job. Something about having to deal with too many politicians and glad-handers. Doesn't she know she'd get to be on "NFL Prime Time" if she'd just say yes?

On the other mitt, schedules do matter. The placement of a key game at a certain point on the calendar can turn a team's season one way or the other, sometimes irrevocably. The divisional games matter. The home-road breakdown matters. If the Raiders get the Broncos and Chargers on the road in back-to-back weekends, that matters, and not just because it gives the Al Davis Conspiracy Club something to chat about. Waiting for the schedule makes people nervous.

By "people," naturally I mean coaches and bookies. Owners mostly count the house, and the rest of SportWorld isn't legally required to care. But, listen, give it some cool graphics and a rhythmic backing beat, and you've got yourself the makings of a production.

Rozelle was way out in front on all of this. He understood decades ago that football could succeed only if it was marketed in an unending series of ever more cataclysmic events. Pete liked the guys flying into the stadium via jet packs for the first Super Bowl, and he loved getting the networks in bidding wars for his product. "Monday Night Football" may not have been his idea, but it almost certainly was dead center in terms of the kind of exposure and identity Rozelle wanted to establish for his product.

And that's what it is, a product. It's a good product, pretty sturdy, most recently anchored by another labor agreement between ownership and rank and file (or, as we know them, billionaire and millionaire). It is solid entertainment. Pete Rozelle brought it to one level and Paul Tagliabue raised it another few notches, with ownership and the corporate suits in happy participatory mode all along.

Now comes the ultimate statement of success for a league: It can make the unveiling of its flipping schedule into an event to which people of ordinary goodwill actually pay attention. It's the closest thing to magic yet.

Mark Kreidler of the Sacramento Bee is a regular contributor to ESPN.com. Reach him at [email protected]
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Easily my favorite two paragraphs of that article:

"You know you've got a product being obsessed over when sports fans are willing to spend weeks debating Brett Favre's future, as if there were a significant question yet to be answered as Favre "contemplates" what to do. (Note to Packers fans: He threw 29 interceptions last year, and you're still a rebuilding team. Nothing changed. That ain't mystery, that's hysteria.)"

and

"You know you're on the right track in terms of marketing when the commissioner of your league decides to step down ... and the U.S. secretary of state gets lined up as a possible replacement."

:grin:
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I don't think it comes out until 1 PM EST. Patience my friend!
    I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'M NOT SORRY!!! :twisted:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Flexible TV Schedule

[size=18px]NFL.com wire reports
    [/size]
    NEW YORK (April 5, 2006) -- The NFL has its plan for eliminating those not-ready-for-primetime matchups that too often sneaked onto national television.

The league plans to hold off scheduling Sunday night games in seven of the final eight weeks -- just as playoff races start heating up -- to ensure the best games are played on NBC. The league has long wanted some kind of flexible scheduling, but could never implement one until now.

For Weeks 10-15 and Week 17, the final regular-season weekend, all Sunday games will be listed with start times of 1 p.m. or 4:05-4:15 p.m. EST.

The league must then announce which match will be played Sunday night at least 12 days before the date of the game.

The lone exception is the season finale on Dec. 31, when the switch must be made no later than six days before the game.

Only Sunday games are subject to the flexible schedule that is part of the NFL's $3.6 billion contract with NBC for the Sunday night package.

CBS, which does the AFC games, and Fox, which does the NFC, each has the option to protect five games in the seven weeks of flexible scheduling, but can't protect more than one game per week. So if Indianapolis is playing Pittsburgh in a late-season game and CBS does not want it moved to Sunday night on NBC, it has an option to keep the game.

Week 16 is Christmas weekend and no game will be switched.

Teams will be told by the NFL office as soon as they are not under consideration to have a game moved. And, unlike in the past, teams are allowed to play in consecutive Sunday night games.

To make the system more flexible, up to three teams each season will be allowed a bonus sixth prime-time appearance. All the others will be limited to a maximum of five, including the Monday night ESPN package and the late-season Saturday or Thursday games on NFL Network.

The NFL often has moved games from early afternoon to late afternoon on Sundays to get a top matchup in a better viewing slot. It did so eight times in 2005. That flexibility remains.

In recent seasons, the league has faced lower primetime ratings because of poor late-season matchups. It also has seen surprisingly successful teams shut out of primetime because the entire schedule is released in April.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123