Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
    Think all they will get is a fine which is chunk change. Like Belichick got for the Spygate thing. But no suspension possible. But if they do, it would only be for a couple of games.
    Pats also lost their first round draft pick that year as well, they did however had a second first round pick from the Raiders

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    My hatred for the Saints got a much needed revival, and now I hate them MUCH more than the Packers
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Any fine handed down is a complete joke. For a team worth nearly 1 billion dollars a 1 million dollar fine is nothing, and the team and players made much more by cheating in the first place(as was the case with the patriots).

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    I hear ya Marr...but, I doubt if Commissioner Goodell will agree with your assessment. Yes, it's over. Yes, the Saints have a trophy, but, this IS a big deal, and, cannot be tolerated. With respect, there is plenty to see hear, and, my guess, it's going to get quite ugly. Fuck the Saints.
    No matter what level of punishment they get. Suspensions, draft picks, fines... which they probably will and should get it doesn't change the results of the game that has everyone seeing red on this site.

The bounty program is not the reason the Vikes got the shit beat out of them. The officiating or lack thereof is what allowed it to make its impact. That's where the bulk of this outrage should be pointed IMO. It was no secret to anyone watching the game that they were trying to take Favre out of the game. Bounty program or not, that was going to be their strategy. And it was a good strategy. The refs and the vikings allowed it to happen.

Also, this will offend many on this site I realize, but the rules are set on any particular day by the refs in the game. This is true in football, basketball, hockey or any other sport that involves contact. If they are allowing questionable hits and agressive play, then you need to play at that same level or just accept the fact that you are playing at a big disadvantage. Personally, I have no problem playing within the rules that are being set on a particular day. That is and always will be the best way to level the playing field.

I will cheer for Saints punishment like everyone else, but at the end of the day it's just another line of excuses to explain why we think we should have won. Doesn't help me much, I would have rather seen the Vikings coaching staff and players take more ownership on that day to fix the problem.

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    In my opinion, given the level of severity of the alleged events with the Saints, the following punishment seems appropriate:

1. Head coach Sean Payton and current Rams DC Gregg Williams should both be suspended for 4 games without pay, at the beginning of the 2012 season.

2. Any players known to be involved in the bounty system of the 2009-2011 season should be suspended for 2 games without pay, also at the beginning of the 2012 season.

3. The Saints organization should be fined $1,000,000.

4. The Saints (who do not have a first-round draft pick this year) should be forced to forfeit their 2012 second-round and third-round draft picks, plus their 2013 first-round draft pick.

Comments, anyone?

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't be surprised if Gregg was banned for life from the NFL. I hope he is. Or has to go into the ring with Jared Allen.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Gregg was banned for life from the NFL. I hope he is. Or has to go into the ring with Jared Allen.
    I hope they don't use Gregg as a scapegoat, taking the fall for everyone involved. Sean Payton had knowledge of what was going on and was ultimately in charge, he should get atleast as severe a punihsment as Gregg.

Quote Originally Posted by vikesrgreat2 View Post
    In my opinion, given the level of severity of the alleged events with the Saints, the following punishment seems appropriate:

1. Head coach Sean Payton and current Rams DC Gregg Williams should both be suspended for 4 games without pay, at the beginning of the 2012 season.

2. Any players known to be involved in the bounty system of the 2009-2011 season should be suspended for 2 games without pay, also at the beginning of the 2012 season.

4. The Saints (who do not have a first-round draft pick this year) should be forced to forfeit their 2012 second-round and third-round draft picks, plus their 2013 first-round draft pick.

Comments, anyone?
    That is about what I expect to come down. I think Gregg Williams will get a little harsher punishment, maybe 8 games, because he appears to be the scapegoat. The team fine might be 2million.
    I wouldn't be suprised to see them only give up either next years first or this years 2nd and 3rd, but not both.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikesrgreat2 View Post

Comments, anyone?
    good points though I would say that a fine of $1m is a paltry amount, have to make it really hurt
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    No matter what level of punishment they get. Suspensions, draft picks, fines... which they probably will and should get it doesn't change the results of the game that has everyone seeing red on this site.

The bounty program is not the reason the Vikes got the shit beat out of them. The officiating or lack thereof is what allowed it to make its impact. That's where the bulk of this outrage should be pointed IMO. It was no secret to anyone watching the game that they were trying to take Favre out of the game. Bounty program or not, that was going to be their strategy. And it was a good strategy. The refs and the vikings allowed it to happen.

Also, this will offend many on this site I realize, but the rules are set on any particular day by the refs in the game. This is true in football, basketball, hockey or any other sport that involves contact. If they are allowing questionable hits and agressive play, then you need to play at that same level or just accept the fact that you are playing at a big disadvantage. Personally, I have no problem playing within the rules that are being set on a particular day. That is and always will be the best way to level the playing field.

I will cheer for Saints punishment like everyone else, but at the end of the day it's just another line of excuses to explain why we think we should have won. Doesn't help me much, I would have rather seen the Vikings coaching staff and players take more ownership on that day to fix the problem.
    Don't misunderstand my rant as making an excuse. We lost yet another big game, not because of the bounty, agreed.

That isn't my point, which is, simply, this behavior cannot be tolerated...and hopefully will not be. Even more specific, the behavior I refer to is creating an environment which players benefit financially from knocking another player out of a game, games, the season, a career. That is not a performance based incentive (i.e., tackle inside the 20 on ST, a sack, an interception, blah, blah, blah) rather, it is an incentive for hurting another player...which, in my opinion, is not in the best interest of football or any other sport for that matter. Apparently, the Commish agrees.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast