Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

NFL rule changes help defense

[size=12pt]NFL rule changes help defense[/size]
    By BEN VOLIN
    Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, July 31, 2008

DAVIE — Whenever the NFL changed its rules during the 18 seasons Bill Lovett worked as an official, the rules almost always benefited the offense.

Until this year.

"This is the first year I can remember where the defense has more advantages with the rule changes than the offense," Lovett, a former field judge, said Thursday in a presentation with South Florida media about the rules changes for 2008.
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/07/31/a7c_dolphins_sider_0801.html

Not much new information there, but I had forgotten about eliminating the 5-yard facemask.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: NFL rule changes help defense

For all of you that laughed when I said the Patriots were directly relaying the info to players on the field:

The earpiece move comes in the wake of last year's Spygate scandal, when the Patriots were caught videotaping the defensive signals of the New York Jets.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"C" wrote:
    For all of you that laughed when I said the Patriots were directly relaying the info to players on the field:

The earpiece move comes in the wake of last year's Spygate scandal, when the Patriots were caught videotaping the defensive signals of the New York Jets.
    You do realize that the bit you quoted says nothing in support of the accusation, right?

=Z=

"Zeus" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

You do realize that the bit you quoted says nothing in support of the accusation, right?

=Z=
    Umm... let me reiterate:

Thats a pretty direct correlation right there... don't have to think too hard about it.

"C" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

Umm... let me reiterate:

Thats a pretty direct correlation right there... don't have to think too hard about it.
    Right.

And it still doesn't say anything in support of your accusation that the "Patriots were directly relaying the info to the players on the field".

Not a word.
    Not even an implication.

Hell, 3rd-grade reading comprehension skills should lead you to the conclusion that the defender-helmet-earpiece is to REMOVE the signalling of defenses to that the impetus to tape is not there.

=Z=

"Zeus" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

Umm... let me reiterate:

Right.

And it still doesn't say anything in support of your accusation that the "Patriots were directly relaying the info to the players on the field".

Not a word.
    Not even an implication.

Hell, 3rd-grade reading comprehension skills should lead you to the conclusion that the defender-helmet-earpiece is to REMOVE the signalling of defenses to that the impetus to tape is not there.

=Z=
    Haha... ok, yeah... I guess they changed the rule "just because"

Ok....

"C" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

Umm... let me reiterate:

Right.

Not a word.
    Not even an implication.

Haha... ok, yeah... I guess they changed the rule "just because"

Ok....
    Wow.
    When you wanna be dense, you can really be dense.

No - the rule was changed to level the playing field for both the offense and the defense.
    And to remove the signaling, and, thus, the temptation to tape them.

Either that, or it was changed because of the Patriot Act.

=Z=

"Zeus" wrote:
    Wow.

No - the rule was changed to level the playing field for both the offense and the defense.

=Z=
    Really? Even though the article YOU posted says (and I quote... again):

dude... just let it go.

"C" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    Wow.

Really? Even though the article YOU posted says (and I quote... again):

dude... just let it go.
    Why?
    You keep quoting the same bit that does NOTHING to support your accusation that the Patriots were RELAYING the signals to their offense.

NOTHING.

NADA.

SQUAT.

And until you admit it, I'm not gonna stop.

=Z=

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'm gonna go with Z on this one.
    All bringing in an earpiece would do is eliminate the signals, so it can't be taped.
    But i'm sure that the pats will find a way to tap into the defense's signals.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast