Thread: NFL Rule Book

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

NFL Rule Book

Okay - now that I have the official 2009 NFL Rule Book in my possession, I'm going to look some stuff up and post it here for discussion.

First off - something that Ced Griffin can't seem to learn - defensive delay of game.

Here's the actual rule:
    Rule 4, Section 6, Article 5:

(d) a defensive player aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of
    scrimmage makes quick and abrupt actions that are not a part of normal defensive
    player movement and are an obvious attempt to cause an offensive player(s) to foul
    (false start). (The Referee shall blow his whistle immediately.);
    I'm guessing there are certain refs out there who are really looking for this and Ced's just happened to have them on him this year.
    Reads like clapping your hands when lined up in press coverage is probably a penalty, for example.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: NFL Rule Book

The first thing I did when I got it was look up the official definition of tripping, but that was a few weeks ago.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I hate rules.
    To quote a famous weather man.

I'm not gonna live by their rules anymore.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I hate rules.

There was a dude sitting next to me on Sunday who was at his 2nd ever Vikings game with his son, who was at his first.
    I kept doing what I always do - calling out formations; guessing penalties based upon who threw the flag and when it was thrown; watching the magic oven mitts guy for TV timeouts, etc.

This dude was fairly amazed at how much I was able to call.
    And I told him - it's just knowing the rules and the positioning of the stuff on the field.
    It's part of the reason I love my seat location.
    I can see everything from there (except for FGs in that end - that's the one thing upon which I have to wait on the crowd or refs).

For example - as soon as a ball carrier goes down, I instantly look to the line judge on the far side for the spot so I know the distance to go.
    Helps me enjoy the game.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I hate rules.

There was a dude sitting next to me on Sunday who was at his 2nd ever Vikings game with his son, who was at his first.
    I kept doing what I always do - calling out formations; guessing penalties based upon who threw the flag and when it was thrown; watching the magic oven mitts guy for TV timeouts, etc.

And I told him - it's just knowing the rules and the positioning of the stuff on the field.
    I can see everything from there (except for FGs in that end - that's the one thing upon which I have to wait on the crowd or refs).

For example - as soon as a ball carrier goes down, I instantly look to the line judge on the far side for the spot so I know the distance to go.
    Helps me enjoy the game.

=Z=
    I would kill to have season tickets so I could see the games live.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I hate rules.

Helps me enjoy the game.

=Z=
    Season tickets start at $99
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I hate rules.

Helps me enjoy the game.

=Z=
    Season tickets start at $99
    LOL, you probably remember how mystified I was by that brochure. I think I mentioned it to you (In my drunken stupor) that I couldn't believe it.
    ;D

Trust me, if I lived anywere close (6 hours driving distance) I'd be there.