Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

Re: NFL Replay: Force Out

"pack93z" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    True.
    Good teams will win despite bad calls.
    You definately don't want to review every play, but I do think they need to look at their procedures a little closer.
    The fumble/non-fumble in thh Vikings Pack game was a perfect example.
    Despite what anyone's opinion was on the actual ruling on the field, that should have been a reviewable play.
    Probably, but can you say without a doubt that he established control of the ball on that play, no. So either way it probably is reverted back to the judgement call on the field. Those are just quick hitting plays, it is hard to tell even with the slow motion and still frames..
    he caught it and had 2 feet on the ground with the ball secure thats means it shouldve been a fumble, unlike last year where they had to make a football move after possesion

Thanks josdin00

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

The force out is one of the worst rules in the NFL. You should have to get two feet down no matter what! If the defender pushed you out of bounds when you would have had a complete pass otherwise, he did his job! He prevented a completion! He made a play!

It should be either you get two feet bounds or you don't plain and simple. Instead they make it a judgement call by the ref, taking power from the player and giving it to the official. Force out = Garbage.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"pack93z" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    True.
    You definately don't want to review every play, but I do think they need to look at their procedures a little closer.
    Despite what anyone's opinion was on the actual ruling on the field, that should have been a reviewable play.
    Probably, but can you say without a doubt that he established control of the ball on that play, no. So either way it probably is reverted back to the judgement call on the field. Those are just quick hitting plays, it is hard to tell even with the slow motion and still frames..
    I agree that a lot of the time is it hard to tell, even on replay.
    But take the green glasses off for a second and tell me honestly - is there really any doubt in your mind that that was a catch?
    Remember, with the rule change this year, the only thing a receiver needs to have is control of the ball and two feet down in order for it to be a catch.
    He doesn't have to make a "football move" any more.
    I think the official mistakenly reverted back to last year's rule.

I am not saying it would have changed the outcome of the game.
    I firmly believe that a team wins and loses games, not the officials.
    But sometimes you have to admit it when a bad call is made.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "patistheman" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Here is the video link: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8035ec83

At least this time Pereira actually admitted that the refs screwed up a call.
    He is pretty good at admitting when his guys are wrong.
    The majority of the plays he shows during that segment are wrong and he will admit every one of them.
    I have to throw the bs flag here.
    I watch every episode of Official Review.
    Pereira highlighted some of the mistakes in preseason, but this is the first time all regular season that he actually admitted a mistake.
    Pereira gets to chose which plays he will talk about in Official Review, and he is careful to usually only present the controversial plays where the NFL officials got the call right.

Every episode of this year's official review is available online, at the link I provided above if anyone wants to check.
    Replay doesn't work very well in it's current form. No calls overturned unless absolutely indesputible evidence of a blown call. And sometimes not even then. To many non reviewable plays. Plays blown dead that are in error are simply an uncorrectable referees error.

The push out rule could be changed to make things easier. If the defender can get the receiver out of bounds before he gets two feet down, call it out of bounds. That would mean the defender made a good play. And the only thing remaining to dispute would be posession and feet in or out. That removes some of the judgement as to whether the receiver would have been in bounds.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    True.
    I agree that a lot of the time is it hard to tell, even on replay.
    But take the green glasses off for a second and tell me honestly - is there really any doubt in your mind that that was a catch?
    Remember, with the rule change this year, the only thing a receiver needs to have is control of the ball and two feet down in order for it to be a catch.
    He doesn't have to make a "football move" any more.
    I think the official mistakenly reverted back to last year's rule.

I am not saying it would have changed the outcome of the game.
    I firmly believe that a team wins and loses games, not the officials.
    But sometimes you have to admit it when a bad call is made.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d802db1d2

@ about the 3:20 mark..

The "green" glasses are tossed in the trash on this one, not that the above highlight shows it real well, but there was a reverse angle that shows the ball sitting low in his grasp and did he ever have complete control of it. But to be fair, it could have went either way. I think the rule change really isn't significant to how they call the game.. a catch is a catch. The Hall play probably was a catch.. but it was close enough that replay probably won't have overturned it.

BTW... I thought that call should have been replayable.. that there is the joke. The Coach should have the latitude to challenge almost all calls.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"V" wrote:
    The force out is one of the worst rules in the NFL. You should have to get two feet down no matter what! If the defender pushed you out of bounds when you would have had a complete pass otherwise, he did his job! He prevented a completion! He made a play!

It should be either you get two feet bounds or you don't plain and simple. Instead they make it a judgement call by the ref, taking power from the player and giving it to the official. Force out = Garbage.
    Somehow I missed this post then posted saying essentially the same thing. Sorry, not trying to copy. But you do make great posts.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12