Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    patistheman is offline Starter

NFL Replay: Force Out

I just watched the segment they do on NFL Total access called official review.
    For those of you who might not know what that is Rich Eisen talks with Mike Pereira, the VP of NFL officiating, about questionable calls from the past weekend.
    Their main topic was the force out.
    Bubba Franks had a catch in the endzone on Sunday that should have been ruled a force out and was not.
    I know GB won anyway, but if they would have lost by less than a score that could have been a huge play in the game.
    The force out, for whatever reason is not a reviewable play.

Pereira stated that he did not think a force out should be reviewable because he didn't want to put the judgment of that call into replay.
    Well why are you comfortable having a ref make that call on the field in a matter of seconds?
    Would it not be much better to be able to look at those types of plays under replay to make sure you had them right or wrong?
    He also stated that he did not like the force out rule in the first place.

I know some
    will argue that there are many other oportunites to win that game and it is not just based on one play, but if a team loses by one score and they complete a pass in the endzone at some point in the game and they are forced out and the pass is ruled incomplete, the team just made that play that should have won the game for them.

I think the NFL needs to make more things reviewable.
    Not everything, but things that can have a huge impact on a drive or on the game.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: NFL Replay: Force Out

Here is the video link: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8035ec83

At least this time Pereira actually admitted that the refs screwed up a call.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:

He is pretty good at admitting when his guys are wrong.
    The majority of the plays he shows during that segment are wrong and he will admit every one of them.

Blog Entries

"patistheman" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

The majority of the plays he shows during that segment are wrong and he will admit every one of them.
    I have to throw the bs flag here.
    I watch every episode of Official Review.
    Pereira highlighted some of the mistakes in preseason, but this is the first time all regular season that he actually admitted a mistake.
    Pereira gets to chose which plays he will talk about in Official Review, and he is careful to usually only present the controversial plays where the NFL officials got the call right.

Every episode of this year's official review is available online, at the link I provided above if anyone wants to check.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

I'm okay wtih a force out being a judgement call by the ref, even though I don't trust refs' judgement
    ;D

The reason being is that it is hard to know how much forcing is really happening in a slow motion replay.
    You kind of need to see the play live to know how much of a chance the guy had to come in bounds on his own.

Either way looks like they screwed up.

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "patistheman" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

I'm sure you are right Paul.
    I haven't watched it at all this year until that one.
    I used to watch it every week last year, I thought he was pretty good about it last year, unless I'm just not thinking clearly.
    I have to throw the bs flag here.
    I watch every episode of Official Review.
    Pereira highlighted some of the mistakes in preseason, but this is the first time all regular season that he actually admitted a mistake.
    Pereira gets to chose which plays he will talk about in Official Review, and he is careful to usually only present the controversial plays where the NFL officials got the call right.

Every episode of this year's official review is available online, at the link I provided above if anyone wants to check.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

OO, yes. he must be careful over the refs official review on Official Review. He can only pick those controversial enough where the ref got it right. Of course, we don't want NFL refs to be screwed now do we
    :P

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Bad calls are part of every single NFL game.. there are going to be some that roll your way and some the rip you off.. unless they allow every call to be challenged, there is no way around the issue.

The phantom holding call against Tauscher was even worse, but alas it is part of the game.

Blog Entries

"pack93z" wrote:
    Bad calls are part of every single NFL game.. there are going to be some that roll your way and some the rip you off.. unless they allow every call to be challenged, there is no way around the issue.

The phantom holding call against Tauscher was even worse, but alas it is part of the game.

True.
    Good teams will win despite bad calls.
    You definately don't want to review every play, but I do think they need to look at their procedures a little closer.
    The fumble/non-fumble in thh Vikings Pack game was a perfect example.
    Despite what anyone's opinion was on the actual ruling on the field, that should have been a reviewable play.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    True.
    Good teams will win despite bad calls.
    You definately don't want to review every play, but I do think they need to look at their procedures a little closer.
    The fumble/non-fumble in thh Vikings Pack game was a perfect example.
    Despite what anyone's opinion was on the actual ruling on the field, that should have been a reviewable play.
    Probably, but can you say without a doubt that he established control of the ball on that play, no. So either way it probably is reverted back to the judgement call on the field. Those are just quick hitting plays, it is hard to tell even with the slow motion and still frames..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast