Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Is The NFL Preseason Too Long?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Is The NFL Preseason Too Long?

Yes...and no (which is pretty much what that article said, too).

Yes - because of injuries like the ones mentioned and Greenway's.

No - because of the need to see young players in real NFL-ish situations and how they will react.

My personal wish is that they'd cut it to 2 games and expand the regular season to 18 games.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Prophet Guest

I wouldn't mind a two game preseason.
    They could always play around with the 53 man roster deadline and trade deadlines to accommodate the changes.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The only way to avoid injuries would be to just stop having real games and instead rely on Madden '06 for our NFL fix.

I am not against going from 4 preseason games to two, but will that reduce injuries? I doubt it. And what is the difference between getting injured in the 3rd preseason game or the first regular season game? I doubt it hurts any less lol. ;D
    You could also say that injuries may increase because in the preseason the starters play less so by putting them out there for 2 more full games instaed of a few series, they are more likely to get hurt.

Then you could also argue that a shorter preseason may not allow some players to get into the game shape necessary to play an 18 game season,with 2 extra full games of hard contact. So by the time they reach the final few weeks they are tired and when you play tired you are more apt to get hurt.Plus they would have to play more minutes in the 2 preseason games to get their timing down.

Personally my conspiracy theory is that
    the 72 dolphins are behind this because with an 18 game season they are almost certainly guaranteed that no other team will go undefeated. ;D ;D

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

No. this is the time for coaches to get ready for the season. those players who don't have starting jobs need to work their way into having a job. without given live game time for that, they have no chance as you cannot simulate game speed in a practise. also the revenue from the games go right to the home teams. this money is not shared like the rest of the games.
    We're bringing purple back.

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

"AWZeus" wrote:

No - because of the need to see young players in real NFL-ish situations and how they will react.

My personal wish is that they'd cut it to 2 games and expand the regular season to 18 games.

=Z=
    I agree 100% I wanna see it cut down to 2 games and have the regular season extended by 2 games since we know the owners still wanna make their money. The only problems it would cause is single season records would be alot easier to achieve, and the older records would fall pretty quick.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Warp" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:

=Z=
    I agree 100% I wanna see it cut down to 2 games and have the regular season extended by 2 games since we know the owners still wanna make their money. The only problems it would cause is single season records would be alot easier to achieve, and the older records would fall pretty quick.

I would also like the the NFL to switch to 2 preseason games and an 18 game regular season!
    I also believe that a majority of NFL fans probably feel the same way, but I don't think the Owner's will change it anytime soon.

The 1st preseason game play your starters the first 1/3 of the game and then the first 1/2 the second preseason game and the start the season the next week.

Some teams have to play 5 preseason games and that is ridiculous.

Wondering if there is a site that has a petition to go to 2 preseason games and if there is has anybody hear of one?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I don't know what everyone is complaining about. Portis's injury and Greenway's injury both happened in the FIRST game of the pre-season, so if there were two games or four games or six games in the preseason it wouldn't matter.

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    I don't know what everyone is complaining about. Portis's injury and Greenway's injury both happened in the FIRST game of the pre-season, so if there were two games or four games or six games in the preseason it wouldn't matter.

For the fans i dont think they care so much about the injurys, its just that they want the season to start sooner with meaningful games. I dont know about you guys but 4 preseason games is just boring. Id rather this game coming up against the steelers is the last preseason game then onto the regular season the next week

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Make the preaseason 2 games, start the season 2 weeks earlier and give everybody 2 bye weeks during the season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast