Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

NFL preps for possible 8-game season

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-making-plans-for-season-as-short-as-eight-games-060611?gt1=39002

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NFL preps for possible 8-game season

I wish I could say that if the season doesn't begin on time, I'm going to boycot. But who am I kidding? I won't.

Damn the NFL, they know that this isn't going to hurt them financially!!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "triedandtruevikesfan" #1098541
    I wish I could say that if the season doesn't begin on time, I'm going to boycot. But who am I kidding? I won't.

I hear Burger King is going to start serving half a Whopper and call it the avarice burger!

I'll say it. If they cut the season in half, I will boycott.

How much more could they hadicap a team with a new offense and rookie QB?

Missed games mean the team can't even have adequate time to develop on the field.It would be a meaningless throwaway season.

One or two games and I'm still with them. 1/2 the season, I'll bow out.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

8 game season would be pretty meaningless. Why don't they just pick ping pong balls and go straight to the playoffs.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1098543
    Quote Originally Posted by "triedandtruevikesfan" #1098541

I hear Burger King is going to start serving half a Whopper and call it the avarice burger!

I'll say it. If they cut the season in half, I will boycott.

How much more could they hadicap a team with a new offense and rookie QB?

Missed games mean the team can't even have adequate time to develop on the field.It would be a meaningless throwaway season.

One or two games and I'm still with them. 1/2 the season, I'll bow out.
    Ahhh, but next years draft will be good for us.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I think they are still on schedule with what the experts said when this all began. Early July or August. The push to get a deal done won't happen until the season is in jeopardy.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

The time is now for NFL, players to get a deal done

So why is the urgency ratcheting up? Easy. The price to be paid is about to rise. Significantly.

League sources indicate that the cancellation of the preseason would cost the NFL approximately $1 billion, while a lack of resolution by August 1 would come at a price of $350 million. While those numbers are inexact, there's no question that the loss of revenue -- which will begin once the preseason games come off the schedule -- will make negotiations exponentially more difficult. The pie shrinks, the less money there is to go around in a situation that, for both sides, is about making the finances right.
    Hopefully greed will rule the day and they'll get something done.

For a normal preseason to happen, most estimate an agreement must be reached by about July 15.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1098564
    The time is now for NFL, players to get a deal done

So why is the urgency ratcheting up? Easy. The price to be paid is about to rise. Significantly.

League sources indicate that the cancellation of the preseason would cost the NFL approximately $1 billion, while a lack of resolution by August 1 would come at a price of $350 million. While those numbers are inexact, there's no question that the loss of revenue -- which will begin once the preseason games come off the schedule -- will make negotiations exponentially more difficult. The pie shrinks, the less money there is to go around in a situation that, for both sides, is about making the finances right.
    Hopefully greed will rule the day and they'll get something done.

For a normal preseason to happen, most estimate an agreement must be reached by about July 15.
    I can guarantee greed will rule the day, not so sure that will help things though. A billion dollars is a lot of money, but they are talking about 9billion a year and rising every year for the next decade or two. Probably talking about hundreds of billions. If the owners think they can keep an additional 1% of revenue by forfeiting one preseason they will do it.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I have to admit that even at 8 games, I would still go to the games and be glued to the TV on away weeks.

Honestly, I hate the fact that we may miss any games, but as angry as it would make me to see that happen, my love of football will override my disappointment in the league and players for allowing it to happen.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

8 games. Favre could come back for 8 games...
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast