BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

NFL players gone broke

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-cnbcnflbankruptplayers013111

Re: NFL players gone broke

I haven't read the report. However, in the 'new age' of overpaid athletes living ridiculously lavish lives, it's impossible to have even the slightest bit of sympathy for them.

If it's about players at any time up through the early to mid nineties, i have slightly more sympathy.
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

Its interesting to see who has gone broke. Its a mixed bag of old and new, yet the story leaves much to be desired. There werent any real lightning rod moments in it. Instead the author only points out the obvious that these players fell prey to bad investment decisions and frivious lifestyle expenditures.

The tale of the overnight millionaire is one that usually ends in disaster. Whether you hit the Powerball or are a big time athlete, its difficult to manage a wheel barrow full of money, or so they say. I think I would like a shot at it just the same.........

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" #1088870
    I haven't read the report. However, in the 'new age' of overpaid athletes living ridiculously lavish lives, it's impossible to have even the slightest bit of sympathy for them.

If it's about players at any time up through the early to mid nineties, i have slightly more sympathy.
    I agree about the earlier players, but don't forget, most of these players are still kids when they get the boatload of money. Most of us would have trouble acting responsibly given those circumstances when we were that young
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1088926

I agree about the earlier players, but don't forget, most of these players are still kids when they get the boatload of money. Most of us would have trouble acting responsibly given those circumstances when we were that young
    Still, I'm with StCloud in feeling absolutely NO sympathy whatsoever for any of them. Not one shred.

Caine

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1088963
    Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1088926

Still, I'm with StCloud in feeling absolutely NO sympathy whatsoever for any of them. Not one shred.

Caine
    I can completely understand that sentiment. Everyone matures at a different level. I am just pretty sure given those circumstances when I was in my 20's I would have probably been dead before I went broke. The players who trusted someone with their investments as opposed to just blowing the money are easier to feel sympathy for.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Suprised OJ didn't make the list.
    Not suprised so many players file bankruptcy. These guys retire in there thirties, once your retired the money stops coming in and you have more time to spend money.
    Even among traditional retiries(who saved there entire lives) you'd be suprised how many run out of funds in the first couple years because they overspend and make bad investments.