Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    NFL owners consider postseason rule changes

    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7954682/NFL-owners-consider-postseason-rule-changes?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

    [size=12pt]NFL owners consider postseason rule changes[/size]
    by Alex Marvez
    Updated: March 26, 2008, 6:37 PM EST

    Being an NFL division winner may no longer guarantee a home playoff game.

    A new postseason format is among the items team owners will discuss next week at the league's annual meeting in Palm Beach, Fla.

    The NFL Competition Committee's proposal would give wild-card teams a better chance of hosting a first-round game. The two division winners with the best records in each conference would still enjoy a first-round bye, but seeds No. 3 through No. 6 would be slotted by record, although division winners would have a tiebreaker edge over wild-card qualifiers.
    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL owners consider postseason rule changes

    I don't like this rule proposal at all.
    Winning the conference should always be rewarded with a home playoff game.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    ItalianStallion's Avatar
    ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,615

    Re: NFL owners consider postseason rule changes

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I don't like this rule proposal at all.
    Winning the conference should always be rewarded with a home playoff game.
    And there should always be something to play for in regular season games...


    I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

  4. #4
    josdin00's Avatar
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,619

    Re: NFL owners consider postseason rule changes

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I don't like this rule proposal at all.
    Winning the conference should always be rewarded with a home playoff game.
    I disagree. I don't like the 9-7 Bucs getting a home playoff game just 'cause none of the other teams in their division can crack .500, while the (eventual champion) Giants, at 10-6, have to travel to Tampa because they're in the same conference as the 13-3 Cowboys. We had two games last year where the team with the better record had to travel to the weaker team's home stadium. The Giants @ Tampa and the Jaguars (11-5) @ Pittsburgh (10-6). If you achieve a better record in a strong division than a team in a weak division, you should be regarded as the better team and awarded the home field game.

    The Bucs last year backed into the playoffs by losing the last two games to San Francisco and Carolina. Maybe if they knew that their home game was at risk, they would have pushed harder in the last weeks.

    Give the division winner the automatic tie-breaker as their reward for winning the division, but don't reward them over an obviously better team.

  5. #5
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL owners consider postseason rule changes

    "josdin00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I don't like this rule proposal at all.
    Winning the conference should always be rewarded with a home playoff game.
    I disagree. I don't like the 9-7 Bucs getting a home playoff game just 'cause none of the other teams in their division can crack .500, while the (eventual champion) Giants, at 10-6, have to travel to Tampa because they're in the same conference as the 13-3 Cowboys. We had two games last year where the team with the better record had to travel to the weaker team's home stadium. The Giants @ Tampa and the Jaguars (11-5) @ Pittsburgh (10-6). If you achieve a better record in a strong division than a team in a weak division, you should be regarded as the better team and awarded the home field game.

    The Bucs last year backed into the playoffs by losing the last two games to San Francisco and Carolina. Maybe if they knew that their home game was at risk, they would have pushed harder in the last weeks.

    Give the division winner the automatic tie-breaker as their reward for winning the division, but don't reward them over an obviously better team.
    But the team with the better record is not always the better team either.
    Strength of schedule comes into it.
    You can find examples both ways.
    I would absolutely hate to see a division winner in a tough conference have to travel just because a wild card from a weaker conference managed to get one more win.
    Winning the division would become next to meaningless.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #6
    dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: NFL owners consider postseason rule changes

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I don't like this rule proposal at all.
    Winning the conference should always be rewarded with a home playoff game.
    its not about winning the conference its about winning the division
    in the end its all about teams messing around the last week of the year with their backups in cause their division sucks and they are locked a home playoff game, it should go by overall record.

    Pissing on the Pack since 08'

  7. #7
    josdin00's Avatar
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,619

    Re: NFL owners consider postseason rule changes

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I don't like this rule proposal at all.
    Winning the conference should always be rewarded with a home playoff game.
    I disagree. I don't like the 9-7 Bucs getting a home playoff game just 'cause none of the other teams in their division can crack .500, while the (eventual champion) Giants, at 10-6, have to travel to Tampa because they're in the same conference as the 13-3 Cowboys. We had two games last year where the team with the better record had to travel to the weaker team's home stadium. The Giants @ Tampa and the Jaguars (11-5) @ Pittsburgh (10-6). If you achieve a better record in a strong division than a team in a weak division, you should be regarded as the better team and awarded the home field game.

    The Bucs last year backed into the playoffs by losing the last two games to San Francisco and Carolina. Maybe if they knew that their home game was at risk, they would have pushed harder in the last weeks.

    Give the division winner the automatic tie-breaker as their reward for winning the division, but don't reward them over an obviously better team.
    But the team with the better record is not always the better team either.
    Strength of schedule comes into it.
    You can find examples both ways.
    I would absolutely hate to see a division winner in a tough conference have to travel just because a wild card from a weaker conference managed to get one more win.
    Winning the division would become next to meaningless.
    No, it doesn't become meaningless. If there are 6 better teams, record-wise, in the other 3 divisions, the division winner from that 4th division still gets that automatic trip to the playoffs. I just think that the scenario of a wildcard coming out of a weak division is much less likely than a wildcard coming out of a strong division. Therefore, the majority of the time, you'd want to reward the team with the better record, with the tie being awarded to the division winner. Sure, there will be anomalies under both systems, but I think that the proposed system will more often than not result in the 'correct' seeding.

  8. #8
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: NFL owners consider postseason rule changes

    "josdin00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I don't like this rule proposal at all.
    Winning the conference should always be rewarded with a home playoff game.
    I disagree. I don't like the 9-7 Bucs getting a home playoff game just 'cause none of the other teams in their division can crack .500, while the (eventual champion) Giants, at 10-6, have to travel to Tampa because they're in the same conference as the 13-3 Cowboys. We had two games last year where the team with the better record had to travel to the weaker team's home stadium. The Giants @ Tampa and the Jaguars (11-5) @ Pittsburgh (10-6). If you achieve a better record in a strong division than a team in a weak division, you should be regarded as the better team and awarded the home field game.

    The Bucs last year backed into the playoffs by losing the last two games to San Francisco and Carolina. Maybe if they knew that their home game was at risk, they would have pushed harder in the last weeks.

    Give the division winner the automatic tie-breaker as their reward for winning the division, but don't reward them over an obviously better team.
    But the team with the better record is not always the better team either.
    Strength of schedule comes into it.
    You can find examples both ways.
    I would absolutely hate to see a division winner in a tough conference have to travel just because a wild card from a weaker conference managed to get one more win.
    Winning the division would become next to meaningless.
    No, it doesn't become meaningless. If there are 6 better teams, record-wise, in the other 3 divisions, the division winner from that 4th division still gets that automatic trip to the playoffs. I just think that the scenario of a wildcard coming out of a weak division is much less likely than a wildcard coming out of a strong division. Therefore, the majority of the time, you'd want to reward the team with the better record, with the tie being awarded to the division winner. Sure, there will be anomalies under both systems, but I think that the proposed system will more often than not result in the 'correct' seeding.
    You reward the wildcard team with the better record the opportunity to play against the weakest division champ the following week.
    The Giants got that chance, played the Bucs (the 4th seed) and won.
    The Redskins did not - played the Seahawks and lost.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  9. #9
    josdin00's Avatar
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,619

    Re: NFL owners consider postseason rule changes

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I don't like this rule proposal at all.
    Winning the conference should always be rewarded with a home playoff game.
    I disagree. I don't like the 9-7 Bucs getting a home playoff game just 'cause none of the other teams in their division can crack .500, while the (eventual champion) Giants, at 10-6, have to travel to Tampa because they're in the same conference as the 13-3 Cowboys. We had two games last year where the team with the better record had to travel to the weaker team's home stadium. The Giants @ Tampa and the Jaguars (11-5) @ Pittsburgh (10-6). If you achieve a better record in a strong division than a team in a weak division, you should be regarded as the better team and awarded the home field game.

    The Bucs last year backed into the playoffs by losing the last two games to San Francisco and Carolina. Maybe if they knew that their home game was at risk, they would have pushed harder in the last weeks.

    Give the division winner the automatic tie-breaker as their reward for winning the division, but don't reward them over an obviously better team.
    But the team with the better record is not always the better team either.
    Strength of schedule comes into it.
    You can find examples both ways.
    I would absolutely hate to see a division winner in a tough conference have to travel just because a wild card from a weaker conference managed to get one more win.
    Winning the division would become next to meaningless.
    No, it doesn't become meaningless. If there are 6 better teams, record-wise, in the other 3 divisions, the division winner from that 4th division still gets that automatic trip to the playoffs. I just think that the scenario of a wildcard coming out of a weak division is much less likely than a wildcard coming out of a strong division. Therefore, the majority of the time, you'd want to reward the team with the better record, with the tie being awarded to the division winner. Sure, there will be anomalies under both systems, but I think that the proposed system will more often than not result in the 'correct' seeding.
    You reward the wildcard team with the better record the opportunity to play against the weakest division champ the following week.
    The Giants got that chance, played the Bucs (the 4th seed) and won.
    The Redskins did not - played the Seahawks and lost.

    =Z=
    That's true, and that reward is appropriate when the wildcard has a lesser or equal record than the divisional winner. I don't think it is right to make the team that performed better during the regular season (as measured by the only statistic that counts toward the Final Word Power Poll) travel to the lesser team's home stadium. I also like the fact that this gives teams something else to play for late in the season when they may have already clinched their berth. However, that's motivated purely by selfishness. I play FF, and anything that keeps the starters playing more late in the season is OK by me.

  10. #10
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: NFL owners consider postseason rule changes

    "josdin00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    [quote author=NodakPaul link=topic=43604.msg748191#msg748191 date=1206627421]
    I don't like this rule proposal at all.
    Winning the conference should always be rewarded with a home playoff game.
    I disagree. I don't like the 9-7 Bucs getting a home playoff game just 'cause none of the other teams in their division can crack .500, while the (eventual champion) Giants, at 10-6, have to travel to Tampa because they're in the same conference as the 13-3 Cowboys. We had two games last year where the team with the better record had to travel to the weaker team's home stadium. The Giants @ Tampa and the Jaguars (11-5) @ Pittsburgh (10-6). If you achieve a better record in a strong division than a team in a weak division, you should be regarded as the better team and awarded the home field game.

    The Bucs last year backed into the playoffs by losing the last two games to San Francisco and Carolina. Maybe if they knew that their home game was at risk, they would have pushed harder in the last weeks.

    Give the division winner the automatic tie-breaker as their reward for winning the division, but don't reward them over an obviously better team.
    But the team with the better record is not always the better team either.
    Strength of schedule comes into it.
    You can find examples both ways.
    I would absolutely hate to see a division winner in a tough conference have to travel just because a wild card from a weaker conference managed to get one more win.
    Winning the division would become next to meaningless.
    No, it doesn't become meaningless. If there are 6 better teams, record-wise, in the other 3 divisions, the division winner from that 4th division still gets that automatic trip to the playoffs. I just think that the scenario of a wildcard coming out of a weak division is much less likely than a wildcard coming out of a strong division. Therefore, the majority of the time, you'd want to reward the team with the better record, with the tie being awarded to the division winner. Sure, there will be anomalies under both systems, but I think that the proposed system will more often than not result in the 'correct' seeding.
    You reward the wildcard team with the better record the opportunity to play against the weakest division champ the following week.
    The Giants got that chance, played the Bucs (the 4th seed) and won.
    The Redskins did not - played the Seahawks and lost.
    That's true, and that reward is appropriate when the wildcard has a lesser or equal record than the divisional winner. I don't think it is right to make the team that performed better during the regular season (as measured by the only statistic that counts toward the Final Word Power Poll) travel to the lesser team's home stadium. I also like the fact that this gives teams something else to play for late in the season when they may have already clinched their berth. However, that's motivated purely by selfishness. I play FF, and anything that keeps the starters playing more late in the season is OK by me.
    [/quote]

    I got totally fucked by the Colts playing Manning a lot against the Texans in Week 16, so I understand where you're coming from, Jos.

    But until every team plays the same opponents as every other team, I cannot put a 2nd-place team in front of a division winner, regardless of the only stat that matters.


    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What is your perfect end of the postseason?
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 02:04 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 04:08 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-05-2007, 08:00 PM
  4. Rule Changes to be Discussed at Owners Meeting
    By Potus2028 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 03:13 AM
  5. Postseason Possibilities?
    By eastcoastvikes in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 12-23-2005, 02:59 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •