josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

NFL Official used college rules?

On this week's 'Official Review' segment on NFL Total Access, they were talking about a play in the IND/SD game. It was the play where the IND player intercepted the ball in the endzone after it had bounced off a few players and a couple legs. The Colt's player had a nice run back, but there was an inadvertent whistle that called the play dead in the endzone. Mike Pereira, the head of NFL officials said this:

"[an inadvertent whistle] especially has a tendency to happen, as it did, with a first year official. This play is down in college. It's not in the NFL because he's not touched down by contact. And clearly it's a terrific play, but when you see the advance, you can see that, as you said, the a... [back judge] Tony Staratore covered the play perfectly, but the young official at the top of the screen killed the play because he had the intercepting player down. College rule, yes; got confused, big play; certainly not in the NFL. What can I do to stop it? I think I'll take his whistle away, and, you know, have him hold something in his hand. ... I have a sense that you'll see him officiating now without the whistle in his mouth. He'll have to go to the second act of once you recognize something, now actually getting if off the lanyard and then putting it in your mouth, and then blowing it. What happens there is you get a little time to think about it, and that delay sometimes will keep you from doing that. It's a learning process. It's a tough mistake, and you feel for the kid because nobody feels worse. Maybe the Colts feel worse, but nobody feels worse than he did for making this mistake."

Now, I've watched that segment pretty regularly, and I've never, never heard Mike Pereira talk that way about one of his officials. He said it all in a pretty light hearted, joking manner, but he had to be pissed about that call.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Re: NFL Official used college rules?

"josdin00" wrote:
    On this week's 'Official Review' segment on NFL Total Access, they were talking about a play in the IND/SD game. It was the play where the IND player intercepted the ball in the endzone after it had bounced off a few players and a couple legs. The Colt's player had a nice run back, but there was an inadvertent whistle that called the play dead in the endzone. Mike Pereira, the head of NFL officials said this:

"[an inadvertent whistle] especially has a tendency to happen, as it did, with a first year official. This play is down in college. It's not in the NFL because he's not touched down by contact. And clearly it's a terrific play, but when you see the advance, you can see that, as you said, the a... [back judge] Tony Staratore covered the play perfectly, but the young official at the top of the screen killed the play because he had the intercepting player down. College rule, yes; got confused, big play; certainly not in the NFL. What can I do to stop it? I think I'll take his whistle away, and, you know, have him hold something in his hand. ... I have a sense that you'll see him officiating now without the whistle in his mouth. He'll have to go to the second act of once you recognize something, now actually getting if off the lanyard and then putting it in your mouth, and then blowing it. What happens there is you get a little time to think about it, and that delay sometimes will keep you from doing that. It's a learning process. It's a tough mistake, and you feel for the kid because nobody feels worse. Maybe the Colts feel worse, but nobody feels worse than he did for making this mistake."

Now, I've watched that segment pretty regularly, and I've never, never heard Mike Pereira talk that way about one of his officials. He said it all in a pretty light hearted, joking manner, but he had to be pissed about that call.

If I was a Colts fan i would really be ticked off and if it would have happened to the Vikings i would have thrown something at the TV just like I did in the Chiefs game when they did not rule the HB pass to Shiancoe a TD.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

NodakPaul is online now Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Wow.

I watch Official Review every week, and this is the first time I have ever seen Pereira actually flat out say that the official fucked up.
    I wonder what his letter of apology to the Colts said...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

O.o wierd.
    They're known for NEVER admitting mistake lol, unless its in a private letter to the organization.
    Good for him to step up

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese