Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: NFL Network could prove to be bad for fans

Saying that we should not have to pay to watch the thanksgiving games sounds a lot like the argument against ESPN getting any games. Back in 1987, we said that we would be alienating the people without cable if ESPN got to broadcast Sunday night games. Turns out that we didn't, and ESPN grew from "a smaller cable TV network to a marketing empire", largely in part to moves like this.

The economical argument is that the NFL network will enjoy the same success. And to be honest, they are probably right.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

"VikingNed" wrote:
    Direct TV is the satelite company that carries the NFL Network, and is the only one to offer the NFL Package..

This is why I have Direct TV and not Dish....

I love it, and for $200 a season, it's well worth the cost to have any and all NFL games to watch......
    DirectTV has the Sunday Package, but both Dish and DirectTV have the NFL Network. (I have Dish)
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Yeah, it is available via traditional cable. It just isn't carried by a lot of them yet. I believe that both Dish and DirectTV carry it standard.
    So it may be able to be added to standard cable upon request then?

I have no worries because I have Sunday Ticket, but if this is exclusively Dish or Digital then that's pretty damn messed up IMO.

Del Rio Guest

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Saying that we should not have to pay to watch the thanksgiving games sounds a lot like the argument against ESPN getting any games. Back in 1987, we said that we would be alienating the people without cable if ESPN got to broadcast Sunday night games. Turns out that we didn't, and ESPN grew from "a smaller cable TV network to a marketing empire", largely in part to moves like this.

The economical argument is that the NFL network will enjoy the same success. And to be honest, they are probably right.
    ESPN is also readily available in most basic cable packages. It was even available back in 1987 along with MTV. This could alienate many people.

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Watch out though. I heard rumors that the NFL Network is trying to be like Sky Sports in England--a pay per view service, where games are broadcast individually and are expensive (they're expensive because they are the only network that carries the games--you have no choice). In essence, it would be "good-bye" to free broadcasts on network tv. No more local channels covering games. The NFL is trying to maneuver itself to have control of all viewing rights (the process is slow, but it's happening).
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

Vikadelic is offline Starter

It really rocks! From programs such as "Life of a Miami Dolphins Cheerleader" to broadcasting the entire Indianapolis combine. There is plenty for those of us to keep ourselves entertained during the off season. I like it best in the offseason because it is all football all the time. During season though, I tune into ESPN more frequently.

Blog Entries

From what I understand, it is not a premium channel. It is not yet as widely available as ESPN was in 87, but that is more because not all cable companies carry it, not because people would have to pay extra for it. I am guessing this will change quickly now that the NFL network has live games.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

Just got done checking on my local Comcast site, looks like the only way to get NFL Network around here at the moment is by getting the sports package. It doesn't even come with the standard digital cable,silver, or gold.

That is shitty.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"Currently NFL Network is available in over 35 million homes including DirecTV, Comcast Cable, Dish Network, Adelphia, Cox and others."
    (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/questions#2)

To see where to get it in your area, go here:
    http://nfl.viewerlink.tv/

Del Rio Guest

"LAVike" wrote:
    Watch out though. I heard rumors that the NFL Network is trying to be like Sky Sports in England--a pay per view service, where games are broadcast individually and are expensive (they're expensive because they are the only network that carries the games--you have no choice). In essence, it would be "good-bye" to free broadcasts on network tv. No more local channels covering games. The NFL is trying to maneuver itself to have control of all viewing rights (the process is slow, but it's happening).
    I don't think they would go that far. This is just an example of why the NFL is bullshit, and college football is far superior IMO.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast