Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 57
  1. #11
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL Network could prove to be bad for fans

    Saying that we should not have to pay to watch the thanksgiving games sounds a lot like the argument against ESPN getting any games. Back in 1987, we said that we would be alienating the people without cable if ESPN got to broadcast Sunday night games. Turns out that we didn't, and ESPN grew from "a smaller cable TV network to a marketing empire", largely in part to moves like this.

    The economical argument is that the NFL network will enjoy the same success. And to be honest, they are probably right.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #12
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL Network could prove to be bad for fans

    "VikingNed" wrote:
    Direct TV is the satelite company that carries the NFL Network, and is the only one to offer the NFL Package..

    This is why I have Direct TV and not Dish....

    I love it, and for $200 a season, it's well worth the cost to have any and all NFL games to watch......
    DirectTV has the Sunday Package, but both Dish and DirectTV have the NFL Network. (I have Dish)
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #13
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: NFL Network could prove to be bad for fans

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Yeah, it is available via traditional cable. It just isn't carried by a lot of them yet. I believe that both Dish and DirectTV carry it standard.
    So it may be able to be added to standard cable upon request then?

    I have no worries because I have Sunday Ticket, but if this is exclusively Dish or Digital then that's pretty damn messed up IMO.

  4. #14
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: NFL Network could prove to be bad for fans

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Saying that we should not have to pay to watch the thanksgiving games sounds a lot like the argument against ESPN getting any games. Back in 1987, we said that we would be alienating the people without cable if ESPN got to broadcast Sunday night games. Turns out that we didn't, and ESPN grew from "a smaller cable TV network to a marketing empire", largely in part to moves like this.

    The economical argument is that the NFL network will enjoy the same success. And to be honest, they are probably right.
    ESPN is also readily available in most basic cable packages. It was even available back in 1987 along with MTV. This could alienate many people.

  5. #15
    LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    423

    Re: NFL Network could prove to be bad for fans

    Watch out though. I heard rumors that the NFL Network is trying to be like Sky Sports in England--a pay per view service, where games are broadcast individually and are expensive (they're expensive because they are the only network that carries the games--you have no choice). In essence, it would be "good-bye" to free broadcasts on network tv. No more local channels covering games. The NFL is trying to maneuver itself to have control of all viewing rights (the process is slow, but it's happening).
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

  6. #16
    Vikadelic is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    150

    Re: NFL Network could prove to be bad for fans

    It really rocks! From programs such as "Life of a Miami Dolphins Cheerleader" to broadcasting the entire Indianapolis combine. There is plenty for those of us to keep ourselves entertained during the off season. I like it best in the offseason because it is all football all the time. During season though, I tune into ESPN more frequently.

  7. #17
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL Network could prove to be bad for fans

    From what I understand, it is not a premium channel. It is not yet as widely available as ESPN was in 87, but that is more because not all cable companies carry it, not because people would have to pay extra for it. I am guessing this will change quickly now that the NFL network has live games.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #18
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: NFL Network could prove to be bad for fans

    Just got done checking on my local Comcast site, looks like the only way to get NFL Network around here at the moment is by getting the sports package. It doesn't even come with the standard digital cable,silver, or gold.

    That is shitty.

  9. #19
    josdin00's Avatar
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,619

    Re: NFL Network could prove to be bad for fans

    "Currently NFL Network is available in over 35 million homes including DirecTV, Comcast Cable, Dish Network, Adelphia, Cox and others."
    (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/questions#2)

    To see where to get it in your area, go here:
    http://nfl.viewerlink.tv/

  10. #20
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: NFL Network could prove to be bad for fans

    "LAVike" wrote:
    Watch out though. I heard rumors that the NFL Network is trying to be like Sky Sports in England--a pay per view service, where games are broadcast individually and are expensive (they're expensive because they are the only network that carries the games--you have no choice). In essence, it would be "good-bye" to free broadcasts on network tv. No more local channels covering games. The NFL is trying to maneuver itself to have control of all viewing rights (the process is slow, but it's happening).
    I don't think they would go that far. This is just an example of why the NFL is bullshit, and college football is far superior IMO.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Toby Gerhart is ready to prove himself to fans
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 02:00 PM
  2. Food Network looking for Viking fans tailgating
    By NodakPaul in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-17-2010, 01:12 AM
  3. VIKINGS have a lot to prove
    By VikingMike in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 07:33 PM
  4. We are pretenders tell we prove otherwise
    By vikingsalltheway in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 12:40 PM
  5. Time to prove...
    By enlvikeman in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 04:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •