Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

NFL Network could prove to be bad for fans

NFL Network could prove to be bad for fans
    March 28, 2006
    Link

The NFL Network is one of Paul Tagliabue's potential legacies. It is aggressively trying to become part of our television sports watching habit, helped of course by the weight of the most popular athletic force we know. But I continue to be uneasy about where all this is heading.

On the first full day of the annual league meetings, it was announced the network would telecast its first Thanksgiving Day prime-time game. That contest, between the Chiefs and Broncos, also represents the first live regular-season contest on the network, which is seen by just a fraction of the total cable viewing audience.

Yet this potentially excellent matchup will be limited to those who do have access to the network plus over-the-air stations in both cities. So the fans of both teams still aren't blocked from seeing the game. But it no longer is available as part of a national doubleheader on CBS.

And that is what concerns me. The NFL wants the network to succeed, and is pouring a considerable deal of money into the venture to make this success possible. The network is run by Steve Bornstein, a highly competent player in the television field who can't be ruled out as a potential candidate for commissioner to replace Tagliabue.

Bornstein's growth plan includes a gradually increasing presence in this regular-season broadcast mosaic. To make the plan work, the network can't be telecasting dog matchups. So expect more attractive pairings to be taken away from the major players in the NFL's television package and given instead to the network, which will broadcast seven additional games this season besides the Thanksgiving contest.

As the NFL negotiates future TV packages, I see the network becoming an even more significant presence, which means less games for you and me to watch -- unless of course we subscribe to the network. Which, of course, is what Bornstein and the league want us to do.

It wasn't that long ago we looked at ESPN and said, no way. Now it will be showing Monday night games. It would be a mistake to be that cavalier about the future of the NFL Network and what it will mean to our viewing pleasure.

purpleFavreEaters is offline Coordinator

Re: NFL Network could prove to be bad for fans

I disagree I think it will be great if NFL network gets all the games, or at least the major majority of the games. This has actually been in the talks for several years now. The Golf Station is also doing the same thing.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

It would ONLY be great if you get to pick the games you WANT to watch...and some cable systems already provide NFL Sunday Ticket for that!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

You can bet as the NFL Network becomes more popular more and more cable systems will carry it simply because they want to hold on their viewers.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

twiztedfait is offline Starter

"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:
    I disagree I think it will be great if NFL network gets all the games, or at least the major majority of the games. This has actually been in the talks for several years now. The Golf Station is also doing the same thing.
    Yea but the golf station is part of standard cable. NFL network is not.

Del Rio Guest

Is NFL Network even available via traditional cable? I mean don't you need digital cable or even Satelite to get it?

If you could get it added to your cable like HBO or something then I could justify it. If not they are messing with dangerous ground.

halvtaz is offline Waterboy

This will be good for the NFL network and the NFL. For some of us that have a dish, it will give us the chance to feed our football appetite even more.
    Vikings rule and Packers drool

Yes, we should not have to pay to watch the thanksgiving game matchup. That is ridiculous. Plus, in a way it is tradition. To make one pay to watch what has long been tradition is just not right.
    Not everything should be about money. Let us watch football for free. Too much yanking like this could decrease the popularity of the sport and could be overall damaging for the League.
    We can solve poverty today.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it is available via traditional cable. It just isn't carried by a lot of them yet. I believe that both Dish and DirectTV carry it standard.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Direct TV is the satelite company that carries the NFL Network, and is the only one to offer the NFL Package..

This is why I have Direct TV and not Dish....

I love it, and for $200 a season, it's well worth the cost to have any and all NFL games to watch......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast