Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFL Network

WisconsinSucks is offline Asst. Coach

Re: NFL Network

The NFL Replay is pretty cool, but watching Rich Eisen on Total Access is like watching paint dry.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    I wasn't able to get it either. Then Comcast in my area started offering it after a lot of people cried about it. I imagine this will happen over time as the NFLN starts getting more and more games.

It sucks and it pissed me off, but it is their product they can do what they want with it.
    According to what I've read, no, they can't, and Congress is looking into it.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-12-07-notebook_x.htm

WASHINGTON — The National Football League's ability to negotiate exclusive sports packages is under fire from the outgoing chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.
    Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., twice said he would introduce legislation in the next session aimed at eliminating the league's freedom from antitrust laws.

Specter said the NFL should not use the exemption to negotiate exclusive programming packages such as DirectTV Inc.'s "Sunday Ticket," which allows viewers to watch teams outside their regional market.

"As I look at what the NFL is doing today with the NFL channel with the DirectTV ... a lot of people, including myself, would like to be able to have that ticket," Specter said.

But the 1961 law that gives the NFL this freedom should not apply to DirectTV because it is not "sponsored programming," said Stephen Ross, a law professor at Penn State University and chair of the school's sports law institute. He said the Pennsylvania senator could be using the threat of legislation to pressure the NFL to make changes voluntarily.

Access to out-of-market football games was one of many consumer fairness issues addressed during the hearing. Another hot topic was whether cable providers should be forced to share sports broadcasting rights with every service provider in an area.

David Cohen, executive vice president of Comcast Corp., said his company has not made a local Philadelphia sports network it owns available to DirectTV because it is one way his company can stay competitive with the "Sunday Ticket" package.

"What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander," he said.
    There's more to it.
    But, basically, when the NFL got the anti-trust exemption, they were given rights for promises to always make the games available to everyone.
    With Sunday Ticket only on DirectTV and the NFL making demands on how NFLN is carried, they are skating on thin ice in terms of the old law.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

1800CULPEPPER is offline Starter

The NFL Network is in love with Chad Johnson. Other than that, I always watch it. I think they have about 10 commercials with him in it. He makes me want to puke!!
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it!!

Del Rio Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I wasn't able to get it either. Then Comcast in my area started offering it after a lot of people cried about it. I imagine this will happen over time as the NFLN starts getting more and more games.

It sucks and it pissed me off, but it is their product they can do what they want with it.
    According to what I've read, no, they can't, and Congress is looking into it.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-12-07-notebook_x.htm

WASHINGTON — The National Football League's ability to negotiate exclusive sports packages is under fire from the outgoing chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.
    Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., twice said he would introduce legislation in the next session aimed at eliminating the league's freedom from antitrust laws.

Specter said the NFL should not use the exemption to negotiate exclusive programming packages such as DirectTV Inc.'s "Sunday Ticket," which allows viewers to watch teams outside their regional market.

"As I look at what the NFL is doing today with the NFL channel with the DirectTV ... a lot of people, including myself, would like to be able to have that ticket," Specter said.

But the 1961 law that gives the NFL this freedom should not apply to DirectTV because it is not "sponsored programming," said Stephen Ross, a law professor at Penn State University and chair of the school's sports law institute. He said the Pennsylvania senator could be using the threat of legislation to pressure the NFL to make changes voluntarily.

Access to out-of-market football games was one of many consumer fairness issues addressed during the hearing. Another hot topic was whether cable providers should be forced to share sports broadcasting rights with every service provider in an area.

David Cohen, executive vice president of Comcast Corp., said his company has not made a local Philadelphia sports network it owns available to DirectTV because it is one way his company can stay competitive with the "Sunday Ticket" package.

"What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander," he said.
    There's more to it.
    But, basically, when the NFL got the anti-trust exemption, they were given rights for promises to always make the games available to everyone.
    With Sunday Ticket only on DirectTV and the NFL making demands on how NFLN is carried, they are skating on thin ice in terms of the old law.

=Z=
    Yes and as long as they offer selective games on basic cable channels they are in compliance. What they do with the remainder of their games is up to them. If he manages to pass legislation which I highly doubt then it will be an issue, until then as long as they offer contracts to standard cable then they are safe.

They will never get that to stick. I guarantee it. What you will see I bet is more cable companies offering NFLN. THEY DO NOT WANT TO BE exclusive they want everyone to have access to it, blame your local cable company for not picking it up.

Del Rio Guest

Most notable among the cable companies that haven't reached deals with the National Football League are No. 2 operator Time Warner Cable, which is a unit of the media conglomerate Time Warner Inc.; Cablevision Systems Corp., a New York-area provider; and Charter Communications Inc. Time Warner, for its part, says it's highly unlikely a deal will be reached in time for the first game.

Comcast Corp., the largest cable company in the country, has carried the network for two years, but as part of a digital package ordered by only about 7 million out of its 24 million subscribers. [size=16pt]Time Warner says it's balking at a demand from NFL that the network be carried on the most widely available basic service lineup.[/size]

I don't see how this is the NFL's fault. They own the rights to the games, they are trying to get it put on the most basic cable service around, but cable companies are dragging their feet.

Then again I see nothing wrong with them doing things like NFL sunday ticket. It's their business.

Again this will never stick, consumers of this product have many options to view football.

"Del" wrote:
    Most notable among the cable companies that haven't reached deals with the National Football League are No. 2 operator Time Warner Cable, which is a unit of the media conglomerate Time Warner Inc.; Cablevision Systems Corp., a New York-area provider; and Charter Communications Inc. Time Warner, for its part, says it's highly unlikely a deal will be reached in time for the first game.

Comcast Corp., the largest cable company in the country, has carried the network for two years, but as part of a digital package ordered by only about 7 million out of its 24 million subscribers. [size=10pt]Time Warner says it's balking at a demand from NFL that the network be carried on the most widely available basic service lineup.[/size]

I don't see how this is the NFL's fault. They own the rights to the games, they are trying to get it put on the most basic cable service around, but cable companies are dragging their feet.

Then again I see nothing wrong with them doing things like NFL sunday ticket. It's their business.

Again this will never stick, consumers of this product have many options to view football.
    Where'd you get that bit?
    Seems straight outta the NFL's PR department.

http://nflgetreal.com/indexp2.php

The price must be fair for the value of the NFL Network
    • [li]The NFL Network is demanding to be paid $137 million for 8 games. [/li]
      [li]The NFL Network wants all Time Warner Cable customers to pay a price that is greater than some of the most popular cable networks. [/li]
      [li]The NFL Network is not one of the top 25 cable networks, according to independent cable ratings systems. [/li]
    And

We would like to include the NFL Network in a sports package, along with NBA-TV, Tennis Channel, CSTV (College Sports Television), the Fox Sports digital networks, Fuel, the Outdoor Channel and other specialty sports programming networks.
    • [li]This would allow all of our customers to get the NFL Network if they wanted to without requiring all customers to pay for this expensive programming.
      We think that is fair for sports fans and for those who are not. [/li]
      [li]Time Warner Cable offers a digital sports package in most markets. [/li]
    In this one, I'm with the cable companies.
    The NFL is trying to use it's popularity to shove this network down the throats of the cable companies.
    By demanding that it be on basic cable AND demanding as much money as they are, the NFL is forcing people who will NEVER watch the network to pay for it.

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

Comcast Corp., the largest cable company in the country, has carried the network for two years, but as part of a digital package ordered by only about 7 million out of its 24 million subscribers. [size=10pt]Time Warner says it's balking at a demand from NFL that the network be carried on the most widely available basic service lineup.[/size]

Where'd you get that bit?
    Seems straight outta the NFL's PR department.

http://nflgetreal.com/indexp2.php

The price must be fair for the value of the NFL Network
    • [li]The NFL Network is demanding to be paid $137 million for 8 games.
      The NFL Network wants all Time Warner Cable customers to pay a price that is greater than some of the most popular cable networks.
      The NFL Network is not one of the top 25 cable networks, according to independent cable ratings systems. [/li]
      [li][/li]
    And

We would like to include the NFL Network in a sports package, along with NBA-TV, Tennis Channel, CSTV (College Sports Television), the Fox Sports digital networks, Fuel, the Outdoor Channel and other specialty sports programming networks.
    • [li]This would allow all of our customers to get the NFL Network if they wanted to without requiring all customers to pay for this expensive programming.
      We think that is fair for sports fans and for those who are not.
      Time Warner Cable offers a digital sports package in most markets. [/li]
      [li][/li]
    In this one, I'm with the cable companies.
    The NFL is trying to use it's popularity to shove this network down the throats of the cable companies.
    By demanding that it be on basic cable AND demanding as much money as they are, the NFL is forcing people who will NEVER watch the network to pay for it.

=Z=
    I will have to find the link but it was not off of NFLN's site lmao.

Even so I do not see how it is their problem you don't want to pay 3$ more a month for cable. It is their product, they are trying to make it accessable to everyone which is the rules and it isn't the NFL keeping it from happening it is TIME WARNER, other cable companies have had no problem latching on.

Of course they aren't going to offer it for free, WHY!? Why would you. 137 million dollars may sound impressive but spread that out over the hundreds of millions of cable customers your looking at a few dollars.

The NFL is a cash cow, if you want to have them on your cable company you have to pay, because chances are it will get people to watch your channels which brings in more money. Nothing is free, and I agree with the NFL on this one. I would be very surprised if any legal action even began to happen other then threats, not when the NFL is working on getting the games shown basic cable.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

a media company.. trying to get more $ then what their content is worth..

trying to squeeze a penny from every poissible angle..

naa.. they would never do that.. i mean look @ the musak industry.. they are the nicest people to the legal rights of their content..

??? :P :-X :'( :-\ > ;D
    ohh and the faces for those that didn't get the thick sarcasm..

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

"Del" wrote:
    I will have to find the link but it was not off of NFLN's site lmao.

Even so I do not see how it is their problem you don't want to pay 3$ more a month for cable. It is their product, they are trying to make it accessable to everyone which is the rules and it isn't the NFL keeping it from happening it is TIME WARNER, other cable companies have had no problem latching on.

Of course they aren't going to offer it for free, WHY!? Why would you. 137 million dollars may sound impressive but spread that out over the hundreds of millions of cable customers your looking at a few dollars.

The NFL is a cash cow, if you want to have them on your cable company you have to pay, because chances are it will get people to watch your channels which brings in more money. Nothing is free, and I agree with the NFL on this one. I would be very surprised if any legal action even began to happen other then threats, not when the NFL is working on getting the games shown basic cable.
    Never said that they should offer it for free.
    But why not allow it to be part of a digital sports package (which I currently CHOOSE to subscribe to on my cable) which those who are interested can buy?
    Why attempt to force it on people who don't want it AND make them pay for it?

=Z=

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Having the Sunday ticket is one thing. This is exclusivity and not in keeping with the original agreement. Are they broadcasting the games on NFLN in their teams local markets? If not, then there it is.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast