Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    NFL Net files complaint against Comcast

    [size=12pt]NFL Net files complaint against Comcast[/size]
    Says the cable company favored its own sports channels
    By Paul J. Gough
    May 6, 2008, 11:13 PM

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL Net files complaint against Comcast

    The complaint said that Comcast gives its own sports channels -- such as Versus and Golf Channel -- preferred position while the NFL Network is stuck on a sports tier. That's even though the NFL Network has higher ratings than either of them, the NFL said.
    So the Golf Channel goes on the standard lineup, but NFLN is on the sports tier.
    That makes sense.
    The only reason they did that is because they knew that people will pay a higher premium to get NFLN.
    Comcast is fleecing its customers by forcing them to pay for channels that do not sell well, and then charging a disproportionate price for channels that do.

    Waiting for Zeus to defend the cable companies on this one.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: NFL Net files complaint against Comcast

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    The complaint said that Comcast gives its own sports channels -- such as Versus and Golf Channel -- preferred position while the NFL Network is stuck on a sports tier. That's even though the NFL Network has higher ratings than either of them, the NFL said.
    So the Golf Channel goes on the standard lineup, but NFLN is on the sports tier.
    That makes sense.
    The only reason they did that is because they knew that people will pay a higher premium to get NFLN.
    Comcast is fleecing its customers by forcing them to pay for channels that do not sell well, and then charging a disproportionate price for channels that do.

    Waiting for Zeus to defend the cable companies on this one.
    No reason to defend them - because there's not one shred of evidence in that article to support any of the ludicrous allegations you make above.

    No mention of the cost to subscribers for Versus or Golf Channel - or NFLN, for that matter.
    No mention of where on the dial those channels are - other than a vague reference to "preferred position".

    And, of course, you fail to quote the most important part of the blurb:

    "Comcast makes the NFL Network available to all of our customers on a tier of service that the NFL agreed to by contract," Comcast said in a statement. "The NFL has immense power in the marketplace, yet it keeps running to the federal and state governments to try to force changes in the deal it freely accepted in negotiations with Comcast."
    Defend NFLN on that, okay?
    Please.
    PLEASE!!

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  4. #4
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL Net files complaint against Comcast

    I love Direct TV

  5. #5
    6-KINGS's Avatar
    6-KINGS is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    569

    Re: NFL Net files complaint against Comcast

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    The complaint said that Comcast gives its own sports channels -- such as Versus and Golf Channel -- preferred position while the NFL Network is stuck on a sports tier. That's even though the NFL Network has higher ratings than either of them, the NFL said.
    So the Golf Channel goes on the standard lineup, but NFLN is on the sports tier.
    That makes sense.
    The only reason they did that is because they knew that people will pay a higher premium to get NFLN.
    Comcast is fleecing its customers by forcing them to pay for channels that do not sell well, and then charging a disproportionate price for channels that do.

    Waiting for Zeus to defend the cable companies on this one.
    No reason to defend them - because there's not one shred of evidence in that article to support any of the ludicrous allegations you make above.

    No mention of the cost to subscribers for Versus or Golf Channel - or NFLN, for that matter.
    No mention of where on the dial those channels are - other than a vague reference to "preferred position".

    And, of course, you fail to quote the most important part of the blurb:

    "Comcast makes the NFL Network available to all of our customers on a tier of service that the NFL agreed to by contract," Comcast said in a statement. "The NFL has immense power in the marketplace, yet it keeps running to the federal and state governments to try to force changes in the deal it freely accepted in negotiations with Comcast."
    Defend NFLN on that, okay?
    Please.
    PLEASE!!

    =Z=
    AMEN ZEUS!!

    "VICTORY IS MINE!"

  6. #6
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL Net files complaint against Comcast

    "Zeus" wrote:
    No mention of the cost to subscribers for Versus or Golf Channel - or NFLN, for that matter.
    Versus and Golf Channel are part of the basic line up.
    NFLN is part of the Sports Entertainment tier, which is an extra cost.
    It says so right in the article:
    The complaint said that Comcast gives its own sports channels -- such as Versus and Golf Channel -- preferred position while the NFL Network is stuck on a sports tier.
    But if that isn't clear enough, check out Comcast's web site.
    http://www.comcast.com/Customers/Clu/ChannelLineup.ashx

    "Zeus" wrote:
    No mention of where on the dial those channels are - other than a vague reference to "preferred position".
    Again, I am pretty sure that "preferred position" doesn't refer to the channel number, but instead where the channels are located in the channel packages.
    But since you asked, The Golf channel is channel 28, right behind ESPN (25), ESPN2 (26) and Fox Sports (27).

    NFLN is 180/181.
    In between The Game Show Network (179) and FIT TV (182).

    The point is Comcast has a financial interest in Versus and the Golf channel, so they don't mind including it on the basic package - because they get all the profit.
    I don't know what the charge per subscriber is, but if you think that Comcast is providing it for free, then you are silly.

    "Zeus" wrote:
    And, of course, you fail to quote the most important part of the blurb:

    "Comcast makes the NFL Network available to all of our customers on a tier of service that the NFL agreed to by contract," Comcast said in a statement. "The NFL has immense power in the marketplace, yet it keeps running to the federal and state governments to try to force changes in the deal it freely accepted in negotiations with Comcast."
    Defend NFLN on that, okay?
    Please.
    PLEASE!!

    =Z=
    Umm Time Warner and Comcast ran to congress first, with good old Senator Spectre opening up monopoly exclusion talks in the senate against the NFLN.
    Part of their argument (and yours) was that the NFLN was a niche network, and therefore didn't belong on the basic tier.
    How is The Golf Channel NOT a niche network?

    The NFL finally "agreed".
    Lol.
    They were forced because they couldn't get any legal support.
    And the precedence of cable companies being able to bundle independent channels together to maximize profits continued.
    Bravo comcast.
    Way to look out for the little people.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #7
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: NFL Net files complaint against Comcast

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    No mention of the cost to subscribers for Versus or Golf Channel - or NFLN, for that matter.
    Versus and Golf Channel are part of the basic line up.
    NFLN is part of the Sports Entertainment tier, which is an extra cost.
    It says so right in the article:
    The complaint said that Comcast gives its own sports channels -- such as Versus and Golf Channel -- preferred position while the NFL Network is stuck on a sports tier.
    But if that isn't clear enough, check out Comcast's web site.
    http://www.comcast.com/Customers/Clu/ChannelLineup.ashx
    Cool - thanks for the link.
    Since Comcast is not my cable company, I used an address for a buddy in St. Paul, where Comcast is the provider.

    Under their "Basic Service 1" package, the following channels are available:
    2
    TPT - 2

    HD ON

    3
    KPXM - ION



    4
    WCCO - CBS

    HD ON

    5
    KSTP - ABC



    6
    Metro 6 Regional Access



    7
    WGN



    8
    WUCW-CW



    9
    KMSP - FOX



    10
    WFTC - My Network



    11
    KARE - NBC



    12
    KSTC - IND



    13
    Local Programming



    14
    Multi-Faith Channel



    15
    Public Access



    16
    Education Access



    17
    TPT - 17



    18
    The City Channel



    19
    SPNN Productions



    20
    SPNN International



    21
    EWTN



    22
    C-SPAN2
    News & Info


    23
    The Weather Channel
    News & Info


    24
    TV Guide Network
    Help & Services


    25
    C-SPAN
    News & Info


    26
    QVC
    Lifestyle


    95
    Home Shopping Network
    Lifestyle


    99
    Univision - WUMN
    Multicultural


    241
    TPT Create (Must have a Digital Box to receive)



    242
    TPTKids (Must have a Digital Box to receive)
    Children & Family


    243
    TPT Minnesota (Must have a Digital box to receive.)



    247
    KSTP-DT2 (Must have Digital box to receive)



    249
    KARE - Weather
    News & Info



    Do you see Versus or Golf Channel?
    I don't.

    To get the Golf Channel and Versus (which is NOT a "Sports" network, according to Comcast), I have to select the "Digital Preferred Package with 1 Premium" package.


    To get NFLN, I have to select the "Sports Entertainment" package.
    172
    Fox Movie Channel
    Movies


    180
    NFL Network
    Sports
    HD ON

    262
    Fox College Sports Atlantic
    Sports


    263
    Fox College Sports Central
    Sports


    264
    Fox College Sports Pacific
    Sports


    267
    Fox Soccer Channel
    Sports


    271
    Speed Channel
    Sports
    HD ON

    273
    NBA TV
    Sports
    HD ON

    274
    CBS College Sports
    Sports
    HD ON

    275
    NFL Network
    Sports


    276
    NHL Network
    Sports


    277
    Tennis Channel
    Sports


    278
    Sportsman Channel
    Lifestyle


    749
    NBA TV
    Sports

    So your contention that it's on "Basic" is just wrong.

    "Zeus" wrote:
    No mention of where on the dial those channels are - other than a vague reference to "preferred position".
    Again, I am pretty sure that "preferred position" doesn't refer to the channel number, but instead where the channels are located in the channel packages.
    But since you asked, The Golf channel is channel 28, right behind ESPN (25), ESPN2 (26) and Fox Sports (27).

    NFLN is 180/181.
    In between The Game Show Network (179) and FIT TV (182).

    The point is Comcast has a financial interest in Versus and the Golf channel, so they don't mind including it on the basic package - because they get all the profit.
    I don't know what the charge per subscriber is, but if you think that Comcast is providing it for free, then you are silly.
    As shown above, those channels are NOT on Basic, nor are they on the most basic of the Digital packages.

    And the Golf channel is NOT right after ESPN.

    58
    Travel Channel
    Lifestyle


    59
    The Golf Channel
    Sports
    HD ON


    60
    Fox News Channel
    News & Info


    67
    Hallmark Channel
    Children & Family


    68
    Versus
    Lifestyle
    HD ON


    70
    MSNBC
    News & Info

    You're right - that's a premium spot - right after the Travel Channel.
    And, man, oh, man, I bet NFLN is crying over not being next to the Hallmark Channel!

    "Zeus" wrote:
    And, of course, you fail to quote the most important part of the blurb:

    "Comcast makes the NFL Network available to all of our customers on a tier of service that the NFL agreed to by contract," Comcast said in a statement. "The NFL has immense power in the marketplace, yet it keeps running to the federal and state governments to try to force changes in the deal it freely accepted in negotiations with Comcast."
    Defend NFLN on that, okay?
    Please.
    PLEASE!!
    Umm Time Warner and Comcast ran to congress first, with good old Senator Spectre opening up monopoly exclusion talks in the senate against the NFLN.
    Part of their argument (and yours) was that the NFLN was a niche network, and therefore didn't belong on the basic tier.
    How is The Golf Channel NOT a niche network?

    The NFL finally "agreed".
    Lol.
    They were forced because they couldn't get any legal support.
    And the precedence of cable companies being able to bundle independent channels together to maximize profits continued.
    Bravo comcast.
    Way to look out for the little people.
    Your whole argument hinges on this notion of "Basic", which is just plain wrong.

    The Arlen Specter deal was from last year, I believe - which is FAR along into this "battle" between the NFLN and cable companies.
    It was NFLN who first put out a "Pity us!" website.
    It was NFLN who first started playing hard-ball with the cable companies, figuring (wrongly, it turns out) that fans would rally to their sides.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Network

    Charter Communications
    Charter Communications was one of the first MSO's to provide NFL Network in 2004.[17] Initially the deal called for the network to be carried on Charter's digital-basic programming and included NFL HD and NFL On Demand.[18] However in December 2005 the network pulled the signal from Charter and filed breach of contract suit against Charter in New York Supreme Court over contract language regarding distribution.[13] It was reported that NFL Network wanted a 125 percent rate increase and placement on expanded basic tiers. [19]
    I honestly don't understand why you feel it is necessary to defend NFLN so vigorously.
    You don't even have cable, right?

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  8. #8
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL Net files complaint against Comcast

    "Zeus" wrote:
    You're right - that's a premium spot - right after the Travel Channel.
    And, man, oh, man, I bet NFLN is crying over not being next to the Hallmark Channel!
    It looks like the channel lineup differs depending on what zip code you put in.
    But again, the "preferred placement" has nothing to do with what channel it is on.
    It is the package location.

    This is what I said, "Again, I am pretty sure that "preferred position" doesn't refer to the channel number, but instead where the channels are located in the channel packages."
    The only reason I included the channel line up was because you asked...

    I stand corrected on the basic lineup though.
    The package that contains NFLN is still more expensive than the one that has Golf and Versus, but you are right, it is not basic.

    "Zeus" wrote:
    I honestly don't understand why you feel it is necessary to defend NFLN so vigorously.
    You don't even have cable, right?

    =Z=
    You are right, I don't have cable.
    But this isn't so much about defending NFLN as it is being tired of the cable and satellite providers grouping channels together in order to squeeze as much money as possible from the consumer.
    I am just as angry with Dish network for taking NFLN off from their basic package.

    How many people do you know that have just the basic programming package for cable or satellite?
    I would bet that there isn't a single person on PP.O.
    Probably very few anywhere.
    That is because basic programming sucks.
    Programming providers supply only the very least amount of core programming that they can get away with, and then charge disproportionate prices for tiered programming.
    Comcast (and other cable companies) wanted to put NFLN on a sport tier NOT because they didn't want to burden the poor old grandmother who doesn't care about football, but because they knew that they could get more money from it.

    Let's hypothetically say that only have of the subscribers want NFLN, but Comcast charges two and a half times what it would have cost each person of the cost was spread out over all subscribers.
    Comcast makes more money, at the expense of the consumer.
    And because the majority of consumers subscribe to one or more tiered packages, the majority of the consumers are paying more for the channels they get than they would if the cost was spread out.

    This has been going on for over a decade, ever since the idea of tiered programming was hatched.
    And the average amount that consumers are paying for cable has skyrocketed as a result.
    I was hoping that the NFLN, backed by a multi-billion dollar industry, and arguably one of the most popular sub groups in the United States, would have the resources to finally break this model.
    THAT is why I am on the side of NFLN.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #9
    The Dropper's Avatar
    The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland, Ore.
    Posts
    2,101

    Re: NFL Net files complaint against Comcast

    Fuck Comcast and the NFL.

    Honestly I can't figure out why you two would defend either one. Both are essentially withholding product from consumers unless those said consumers are willing to sell the proverbial farm. Personally I wouldn't do either because I have the internets to fill plenty of my time.

    On that subject though, I do have to give out one more fuck you to Comcast, who holds a monopoly over cable internet access in my area. The only alternative is a (much) slower DSL line, and I get raped paying for the cable line. OK, rant off, now back to your regularly scheduled defending of overpaid cable and NFL whores.

  10. #10
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL Net files complaint against Comcast

    "The" wrote:
    floop Comcast and the NFL.

    Honestly I can't figure out why you two would defend either one. Both are essentially withholding product from consumers unless those said consumers are willing to sell the proverbial farm.
    You are correct there.
    I am just picking the lessor of the two evils.
    That and I really, really like the programming on NFLN.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Comcast reaches deal with NFL Network
    By snowinapril in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 11:38 AM
  2. Didn't know where else to post this (about comcast)
    By NaughtyWord in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 09:26 AM
  3. FunkyasFlea's General Complaint Thread
    By funkyasflea in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-25-2008, 02:10 PM
  4. NFL Network filing complaint with FCC against Comcast
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 07:21 PM
  5. NFL Network Cuts Comcast Deal
    By NodakPaul in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 11:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •