Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

NFL needs to move back trade deadline

POSTED 9:04 a.m. EDT, October 12, 2006
    NFL NEEDS TO MOVE BACK TRADE DEADLINE
    Mike Florio

It's a common theme that we mention almost every year at this time, and since we need a good lead for the morning update today's a good day to throw it out there once again.

The NFL trading deadline comes too early in the year.

Next Tuesday, October 17, NFL teams must finalize any deals that would send one or more players and/or one or more draft picjs to a new team in exchange for one or more players and/or one or more draft picks.
    The problem is that, with teams only have five or six games in the books, no one (except maybe the Raiders and the Lions) can risk making the kind of move that would send a big-name player to a new team in exchange for some high-round draft picks in April.

Yeah, the Bucs are 0-4.
    But so were the Chargers in 1992.
    And they made it to the playoffs.

And the Dolphins, Browns, and Cardinals are 1-4.
    But so were the Packers in 2004, the Jets and the Titans in 2002, and the pre-Titans in 1993.
    And all made the playoffs.

So why would a team like Tampa consider, for example, a trade of Joey Galloway to a team like the Patriots?
    The message to the ticket-and-jersey-buying fan base would be "Okay, folks -- we're folding up the tents for this season.
    See you next year."

But, as one league source explained to us earlier in the week, trades can be spun in different ways.
    If, for example, the Raiders were able to move receiver Randy Moss for a first-round draft pick when, in reality, his long-term future with the team is clearly in doubt, it will help the franchise to build for the future.

For teams in the thick of things for a division title, the options are grossly limited if a key injury arises in mid-October or thereafter.
    What if, for example, the Saints lose Drew Brees to an ACL in the first game after the trading deadline?
    They'd surely be interested in adding a veteran quarterback, preferably one who can help them to, you know, keep winning games.
    And with Kurt Warner now rotting on the bench in Arizona, maybe Dennis Green would decide to dangle him for a third-round draft pick.
    Or an offensive lineman.
    (Or five of them.)

Although many agree that moving back the deadline a month or so would be a good idea, it's our understanding that none of the 32 teams has ever taken up the cause.
    Every year, for example, the Chiefs can be counted on to push to expand the playoff field.
    Unless and until someone brings the concept of moving the trade deadline to the table before the Competition Committee or at an owner's meeting, it won't be acted upon.

We can't think of any strong arguments for keeping the rule where it is.
    Some teams might fear that they would be "ganged up on" by collusive deals.
    But we doubt that teams would give players away simply as a favor to another franchise, especially when the local media would be prepared to roll out the big guns if/when there ever was a perception that the home team was engaged in a fire sale.
    The fact that there's a higher-than-ever salary cap -- and a higher-than-ever salary floor -- makes it even harder for a team to simply dump salaries, and it thus makes inequitable trades even less likely.

And unlike baseball, where a big bat picked up for the stretch run can make a huge difference, a new player on a football team can only do so much.
    It's already a major challenge to get a guy up to speed with the benefit of a full offseason of minicamps, training camps, and exhibition games.
    So the later in the year a new guy joins the team, the less likely it will be that he'll have a significant impact.

We're not saying the deadline should be moved into December.
    At some point, a team has to go forward with the guys it currently has, plus any free agents who are still on the shelf.
    But with so few teams in a position by the middle of October to conclude that the time has reasonably come to get value now for a guy who'll be a free agent after the season, it makes sense to give every team the ability, if two or more of them so choose, to swap property month or so longer than they currently can.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NFL needs to move back trade deadline

They should move it back a month and make it mid November and more teams would be in the buy or sale mode.

But I don't think Randy is worth a 1st rounder anymore, the Vikes only got a 1st and 7th rounder a year after his best season when he had over 1,600 yards and 17 TD's.

Last year he wasn't in the top 30 wide receivers int he league and this year he isn't either so they probably could get a 2nd round pick pick for him if somebody wants to take a chance on his volatile personality and his lack of team play, and his I play when I want to play attitude.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VikingDawg is offline Training Camp

I don't think we should kid ourselves to think that Randy isn't or couldn't be one of the top recievers in the league again...period.
    He is worth a first round pick...not saying we should trade for him...but that is what he is worth.
    The raiders have had nothing there for some time...the O-line sucks...and the QB's aren't setting the world on fire.
    No WR in raiderland has been great over there lately...because of those factors.
    Don't meet force with force

Del Rio Guest

Randy Moss apparently doesn't make QB's better, he must not change what the defense can do that much.

The biggest concern is teams gangbanging another team. They addressed it slightly but for me their explanation of the seriousness of that possibility is pretty weak.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Sure Randy can be a top reciever again, but only with a team that can get him the ball.
    My money would be some place like Ravens or Patriots.
    Strong arm QB's.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Leave it the way it is...no way that a player that is picked up late can contribute to any great extent (other than special teams maybe).
    Just look at KRob...other than his performance on kick returns, he didn't do much for the passing game for us last season.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikingDawg is offline Training Camp

Good point Cajun...however if a team is stupid enough to give you something more for a player...then hey...why not...I say move'r back to November.
    Don't meet force with force

Del Rio Guest

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Sure Randy can be a top reciever again, but only with a team that can get him the ball.
    Strong arm QB's.
    Kerry Collins is considered a strong arm QB, Aaron Brooks as well. He needs more then that.

Brad Johnson would have no problem throwing the ball
    downfield to an open Randy Moss.

Del Rio Guest

The issue is cutting it off before you start to see the playoff pictures shaping up too much. Teams ganging up on each other with trade prospects in order to influence the division.

I don't see this happening.

I also would guess that since it hasn't been brought up by the owners they really don't give a shit. Just because some reporter talks about it every year doesn't make it a good idea.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Strong arm QB's.
    Kerry Collins is considered a strong arm QB, Aaron Brooks as well. He needs more then that.

Brad Johnson would have no problem throwing the ball
    downfield to an open Randy Moss.
    When will people learn that accuracy is more important than arm strength?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast