Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

Re: NFL needs full-time officials

instant replay official should be able to make a decision, so you dont have to see the official hiding under a cape with those silly earmuffs on. instant replay instant decision. "sorry couldnt find anything to over rule it" or "dude your call was wack pick up that flag, madden is having a heart attack"

i think the game would move along better and sometimes not even know if they were reviewing it or not.

OR

the jumbotron in every stadium is controlled by an NFL official, so there is no clear advantage when it comes to replays and if it warrents it the ref can use it to decide to replay it under the skirt or not. even ticky tack penalties.

as for his pay, maybe the ref gets a bonus for doing playoffs, so he could technically get to 100k

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"petrodemos" wrote:
    as for his pay, maybe the ref gets a bonus for doing playoffs, so he could technically get to 100k
    A. He would have had to be one of the top officials in the game.

B. He would had to ref several playoff games to make another $30,000

C. It was stated that he was a referee, meaning past tense. The wages stated is what current referees are making. We don't know if he refereed 1 year ago or 10 years ago. The wages were less back then.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    "petrodemos" wrote:
    A. He would have had to be one of the top officials in the game.

B. He would had to ref several playoff games to make another $30,000

C. It was stated that he was a referee, meaning past tense. The wages stated is what current referees are making. We don't know if he refereed 1 year ago or 10 years ago. The wages were less back then.
    Three years ago and he lived in Cincinnati at the time.
    Don't know the particulars of his pay, nor did I really care.
    $70k or $100K, either way its good money for part-time work.

My main point was the expanded use of instant replay . . . not what they make.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Here something of interest I found as I started to do a search for the guy . . .

A current nine-year official will watch his salary grow from $64,215 to $95,000 to $128,000 in 2003. Sounds to me as though the league has to put more money into the front end to balance out the package, and that will probably happen when Tagliabue cuts short his trip to Mexico for Monday's crucial, last-minute negotiating session before the replacement crews come onto the field.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1243924.html

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

"sleepagent" wrote:
    Here something of interest I found as I started to do a search for the guy . . .

A current nine-year official will watch his salary grow from $64,215 to $95,000 to $128,000 in 2003. Sounds to me as though the league has to put more money into the front end to balance out the package, and that will probably happen when Tagliabue cuts short his trip to Mexico for Monday's crucial, last-minute negotiating session before the replacement crews come onto the field.

What year is that article from? 2003 was 3 years ago.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:

It sounds like it was from 2001.
    It references some contention between the officials union and the NFL, and wasn't 2001 the year when the NFL hired all those replacement officials from Div 1-A to stave off a possible strike?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:

It sounds like it was from 2001.
    It references some contention between the officials union and the NFL, and wasn't 2001 the year when the NFL hired all those replacement officials from Div 1-A to stave off a possible strike?
    Yep, it was 2001. I remember the replacement refs refereeing the home opener at the dome when we played the Panthers. It was the same year Steussie went to Carolina as well.

We lost the game and as I recall, they returned the opening kick for a TD.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234