Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

NFL needs full-time officials

Published: October 05, 2006 12:21 am

[size=13pt]LEADING OFF: NFL needs full-time officials[/size]

By Jay Skurski
    Greater Niagara Newspapers

Buffalo Bills coach Dick Jauron won’t come out and say it, but his answer made it clear.

“My understanding is that we can’t talk about those issues. This was a ploy to lighten my wallet,” Jauron said with a laugh Wednesday when asked if he had received any clarification from the league regarding the pooch kick his team recovered Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings.

Of course, the ball was awarded to the Vikings after the officials incorrectly ruled that Minnesota’s player had made a proper fair catch signal and the Bills had interfered with his opportunity to field the ball.

The NFL is the most successful sports league in the U.S., yet it continues to embarrass itself on a weekly basis by using officials who aren’t full-time employees.

It’s time the league gave officiating a higher priority. Games should be decided by the players, not the guys in the new uniforms.

Contact Jay Skurskiat 693-1000, Ext. 117.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: NFL needs full-time officials

Of course, the ball was awarded to the Vikings after the officials incorrectly ruled that Minnesota’s player had made a proper fair catch signal and the Bills had interfered with his opportunity to field the ball.
    What was wrong with the fair catch signal?

It was a hell of a lot more clear & noticable then the fair catch that the Bears had against us a week ago.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

I agree completely that the NFL needs full time officials. It's a joke that they do not have them already.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

"Proper" fair catch signal?............

If I wasn't so annoyed with the game I might have enjoyed the special teams bonus sideshow entertainment.

Yeh, they do need full time officials. But I still wonder if it would make any difference.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

This is a no-brainer...c'mon cheapskate NFL!!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    The refs don't WANT to be full-time, as has been reported on numerous occasions.
    Most of them make good money in their regular careers and becoming a full-time official would be a step down in income.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Del Rio Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    The refs don't WANT to be full-time, as has been reported on numerous occasions.
    Most of them make good money in their regular careers and becoming a full-time official would be a step down in income.

=Z=
    There is no reason they cannot negotiate an increased payscale to compensate for the increase of time.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:

=Z=
    There is no reason they cannot negotiate an increased payscale to compensate for the increase of time.
    I just don't see that having full-time refs is going to solve any of the "problems" which fans (with the benefit of multiple replays from different angles and beer) perceive to be out there.
    Reffing football is the hardest umpiring job in sports (besides being the back-line judge for women's beach volleyball - but that's for a different reason).
    And the NFL refs to a fantastic job, regardless of what that fat eff Mike Holmgren thinks.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the fair catch signal.
    it was a good call by the refs.
    That being said, i have long been of the opinion that the NFL needs full time refs.
    Take a hint from all the other professional sports in the USA.

If that happened, many of the current refs would chose not to continue... as AWZ correctly pointed out, most of them make a pretty comfortable living in their other job.
    But that doesn't mean that we couldn't recruit some quality refs elsewhere.
    And full time refs mean offseason training, which IMHO would translate to better officiated games.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

The reffing is pretty bad, if you have NFL network take a moment to watch the segment where they take 3 or so bad calls of the week and go over them.

There are calls that change the outcomes of games, change history. You have a ref mis call the fucking coin toss and your telling me that is quality? That is the best there is?

People have been calling for refs to become full-time for years. The only thing stopping it is the Union.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast