Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

NFL meetings end with passage of rules

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/89014792.html?page=1&c=y

NFL meetings end with passage of rules further protecting players
    By BARRY WILNER , Associated Press
    Last update: March 25, 2010 - 3:20 AM

ORLANDO, Fla. - Overtime and player safety were the themes at the NFL meetings this week. Barely mentioned was labor.

Even though these are the last scheduled meetings of all key league personnel outside of the players commissioner Roger Goodell, all 32 owners, team general managers and coaches before the collective bargaining agreement expires next March, labor was not much of an issue.

Sure, a work stoppage could be in the mix by this time next year. But other than reinforcing their unanimity, the owners concentrated on the field.

"We have to find common ground with the NFLPA," Goodell said Wednesday. "The real issue for us is to get back and focus on those things we can do to grow the game and grow the opportunities for everyone participating. We want a fair agreement that everyone is going to do well in, including the players."

Those players should be safer during games thanks to several rules changes. And they also might be playing longer in regular-season overtimes.
    Click on the article to read all about the new rules.

My thoughts:

Head hits - rules that protect defenseless players are good, as long as they are consistently enforced.

Lost helmets - I like this, but I foresee some delays with replay as the refs attempt to get the spot right.

Ump move - great change. No more picks off of the umpire.

Long-snapper coverage - meh.

End of half/game PF penalty - how often does this happen? Don't really see an impact.

Muff reinterpretation - not sure I get the change on this one, to be honest.

Video-board/guide-wire/sky-cam - the Jerry Jones Egoboard rule.

10 second run-off following replay review - this is the one I could conceivably see having the most impact. Coaches will need to have their team ready to spike the ball if they are out of timeouts and driving for a score.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:NFL meetings end with passage of rules

Ump move - great change. No more picks off of the umpire
    They were talking about this one last night with Cowher on "Moving the Chains".

In a readers digest version of that convo, they wondered how he would spot the ball, get through the "A" gap to his spot, then, after the snap, move forward to watch for penalties and stay out of the QB and RB's way and still maintain visibility on what the DLmen/OLmen were doing with thier hands.

Cracked me up how Cowher and Tim Ryan chuckled about this change.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Here's my thoughts on the protection of defenseless players'.. No amount of rules will 'fix' that issue. Why, you ask? Because on a consistent basis, defensive players are encouraged by other players/coaches throughout their high school and college years to go for the 'BIG HIT' instead of wrapping up the ball carrier. To fix an issue, you have to go to the CORE of the issue. Not make up rules that protect other players from the 'issue'.

I'm not so sure the league can make enough rules to enforce what I'm saying. I know it would never happen, but they need to take the facemasks off the helmets.. You'll see very quickly how fast defensive players will learn to tackle properly.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Formo wrote:
    Here's my thoughts on the protection of defenseless players'.. No amount of rules will 'fix' that issue. Why, you ask? Because on a consistent basis, defensive players are encouraged by other players/coaches throughout their high school and college years to go for the 'BIG HIT' instead of wrapping up the ball carrier. To fix an issue, you have to go to the CORE of the issue. Not make up rules that protect other players from the 'issue'.

I'm not so sure the league can make enough rules to enforce what I'm saying. I know it would never happen, but they need to take the facemasks off the helmets.. You'll see very quickly how fast defensive players will learn to tackle properly.
    Excellent post. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, you want to fix things like that and limit concussions, take that damn weapon off thier heads we call the helmet and put them back in something less protective and they will quick hitting with it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

The helmet rule is the worst. How will this every happen again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCVy8sVqBm4
    We're bringing purple back.