Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Defense to get headsets...

"Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:
    Thought this was interesting...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2380489

"ESPN's Len Pasquarelli" wrote:
    Like their offensive counterparts, NFL defenses could be wired in 2006.

As part of its report to owners during next week's annual NFL meeting in Orlando, Fla., the influential competition committee will propose that teams be permitted to install a radio headset into the helmet of one defensive player. The apparatus would be similar to the ones inside the helmets of quarterbacks and would provide coaches an opportunity to communicate with the defense without using hand signals.

Several defensive coaches, including a few prominent coordinators, have lobbied the league for the past few years to permit headsets for the helmet of at least one defensive player. Those coaches contended that the offense has an unfair advantage because of the quarterback headsets. The competition committee finally agreed that the issue is worthy of consideration.

Atlanta Falcons team president Rich McKay, co-chairman of the competition committee, acknowledged Tuesday there is some evidence that opposition coaches have been able to decipher the manual signals used by defensive coordinators to set their various schemes.

"Let's just assume they're borrowing the [hand] signals," McKay said.

After experimenting with helmet radios during preseason play for a year, the NFL implemented them for regular-season games in 1994. Since that time, the technology has made the headsets increasingly reliable.

The proposal that will be presented to NFL owners next week would permit each team to designate one defensive player per game to wear a headset. The defensive player could be from any position, although the assumption is that most teams would designate a linebacker.

When the designated player is off the field, the headset cannot be transferred to another defender. And if the player is injured and forced from the game, the team would lose the use of the headset. "It basically would end the communication," McKay said.

McKay declined to say of the competition committee will present the proposal with its recommendation. But since the proposal originated with the committee, it almost certainly has its approval, and that usually carries weight with the owners. As with any rules change, the proposal requires a three-quarters vote of the membership or the support of 24 of 32 owners to be approved.
    I think it is probably a much needed change. What do you guys think?

DR? You are the local football guru, do you think this will have any impact?

-DD
    That's STILL not fair...when the starting QB gets hurt, does the backup QB not get to have a headset...no, ALL the QBs have them...therefore one Defensive player should be able to have it at ALL times!!! This could backfire greatly if one team was unfortunate enough to lose their defensive "QB" while the other defense didn't in a game!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

I agree but one step at a time. Let them get the headsets first, then let them tweak the rules to allow a single "position" to have a headset.

I think the obvious reason they are concerned about having one "player" with a headset is because players are a little more interchangable on the defensive side. So in theory if you had your CB as a headset "position" then you could end up with three players on the field with headsets. Even if you said only the Strong Side Corner Back had a headset, usually the person listed as his backup is a Nickle defender and the third or fourth string option is usually the guy starting on the opposite side of the field, this would allow both CB's to have headsets. The only thing I could think of would be that there would be a special marking on the helmets that actually had headsets in them and they would be inspected before each game. Therefore the refs could quickly check to make sure that there was only one person on the defensive side of the ball with a headset on at any given time.

I just spent wayyyy too much time thinking about that....

-DD
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:
    I agree but one step at a time. Let them get the headsets first, then let them tweak the rules to allow a single "position" to have a headset.

I think the obvious reason they are concerned about having one "player" with a headset is because players are a little more interchangable on the defensive side. So in theory if you had your CB as a headset "position" then you could end up with three players on the field with headsets. Even if you said only the Strong Side Corner Back had a headset, usually the person listed as his backup is a Nickle defender and the third or fourth string option is usually the guy starting on the opposite side of the field, this would allow both CB's to have headsets. The only thing I could think of would be that there would be a special marking on the helmets that actually had headsets in them and they would be inspected before each game. Therefore the refs could quickly check to make sure that there was only one person on the defensive side of the ball with a headset on at any given time.

I just spent wayyyy too much time thinking about that....

-DD
    There are easy enough ways to police it...they are just being short-sighted!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ThaSuperFreak33 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: NFL May Tweak Some Rules

No more cheesy rules. Play like they did in the old days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12