Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

NFL looks at playing 2 regular season games abroad each year

From the redzone.org;

[size=18px]NFL looking at playing two regular season games abroad each year[/size]

DUESSELDORF, Germany - The NFL has proposed playing two regular-season games outside the United States starting in 2008, league officials said Saturday.

Mark Waller, head of NFL international development, said the proposal to play abroad was put to team owners Tuesday in Denver. It came after the 49ers and Cardinals played last October before a regular-season record crowd of 103,000 in Mexico City.

The owners will discuss the issue again in October. The games would be played in Mexico, Canada, the United Kingdom and Germany, where five of the six NFL Europe teams play.

"I will say the reception we got from the owners was incredibly positive -- all the questions were on the practical issues," Waller said.

Plans were also announced to add two more teams to the six playing in NFL Europe by 2010. Last year, owners gave the league a five-year operating license -- ending years of threatening to pull the plug on the operation because of the cost.

"It now gives us a platform to grow the game internationally with a concept of clarity," Waller said.

Outgoing commissioner Paul Tagliabue said developing the game internationally may rank as one of his top five accomplishments during his 16 years in charge.

"I feel the international initiatives we made, along with the owners, may become more significant over time," Tagliabue said.

The league's effort to make an impact internationally began in 1986, when NFL teams began to play preseason games overseas.

The German cities of Hanover and Leipzig are the leading candidates to get NFL Europe expansion clubs as the league concentrates on Germany. The Amsterdam Admirals are the only current NFL Europe team located outside Germany.

NFL Europe would then be split into two four-team divisions with the schedule expanded from 10 to 12 games. The league hopes to develop local stars for NFL Europe, as well as international stars in the NFL.

"It's clearly critical to the future of the game internationally," said Jim Connelly, managing director of NFL Europe.

NFL looking at playing two regular season games abroad each year

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NFL looks at playing 2 regular season games abroad each year

If this happens I hope those teams have a bye the next week.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I think it is a good idea WVV puts in to have a bye week after traveling overseas. As every game is important in the NFL, flying abroad and back then playing a game the next weekend might be too much of a disruption to routines and create an unfair advantage for opponents whom had a regular weeks preparation. But overall the idea is good for the game.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

If the NFL comes to the UK, wait til Wembley is finished and put it there.. Could get 80,000 plus in there after you fit the field in and take out the first few rows of seating.

"Benet" wrote:
    If the NFL comes to the UK, wait til Wembley is finished and put it there.. Could get 80,000 plus in there after you fit the field in and take out the first few rows of seating.
    It would also be great if our purple brothers in the UK, Germany & Canada would get an opportunity to watch a Vikings game in person.

crazyB is offline Starter

Re: NFL looks at playing 2 regular season games abroad each

:grin: oh how wait for that day a Vikings game at Wembley.

won't be the same though as tailgating here in the uk is not a big thing so we may lose that fun part of going to a game, but you never know i think the closest the uk come's to tailgating is picniic's at the grandnational.

i'd love to see it though so they better hurry up with Wembley stadium.
    8)

8) crazyB that s Mr crazyB to you 8)

"crazyB" wrote:

won't be the same though as tailgating here in the uk is not a big thing so we may lose that fun part of going to a game, but you never know i think the closest the uk come's to tailgating is picniic's at the grandnational.

There's nothing from keeping you guys from starting up the tailgating tradition!

American football needs traditional tailgating. No matter where it is played. :wink:

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"crazyB" wrote:

Why tailgate when you can just go to the pub round the corner! :wink:

I haven't been to the Wembley site for about 9 months now, but it looked like it was coming along when they followed the England players there for that spot of promotion they did on the site recently. I'd love to see an NFL game at Wembley, in fact one of my first posts on this board was a rambling essay about the delights of the new Wembley and how the NFL should go there and see what will become one of the greatest stadiums in the world.

Between the new Wembley and the Olympic structures that are going to be built for 2012, London is gonna be stacked for sporting arenas in the next 6 years.. Can you imagine how cool it's going to be!!

Roll on the Olympics and the NFL!!

Foranzan is offline Rookie

Make sure we change it from the NFL to the IFL, if this passes.

"Benet" wrote:
    [Why tailgate when you can just go to the pub round the corner! :wink:
    My dear purple brother, we really need to get you to a tailgate party. It's obvious you've never been to one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast