Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

NFL hopes to start testing for HGH

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-plans-to-start-testing-players-for-human-growth-hormone

NFL hopes to start testing for HGH

NEW YORK (AP)
    The NFL hopes to start testing players for human growth hormone, following a test that led to the suspension of a British rugby player.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Wednesday that the league had made a proposal to its players in January regarding HGH. Discussions are ongoing, he said.

"Our position is that HGH testing has advanced to the point where we are taking steps to incorporate it into our program," Aiello said. "We have proposed it to the union."

The NFLPA's player development director, Stacy Robinson, said in a statement that the union "has supported research to find a suitable test that will detect sustained HGH use."
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NFL hopes to start testing for HGH

They need to focus on developing an accurate urine test for HGH. Pay some company to do it, that's the only way it will get done. But I really don't know enough to say whether or not that's possible, but they can detect all sorts of hormones in piss, so why not this?

The Union won't let its players get blood tested, which is reasonable. No labor union would subject their members to it.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re:NFL hopes to start testing for HGH

Let them all roid up with no limitations and the problem will eventually take care of itself.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Mr Anderson wrote:
    They need to focus on developing an accurate urine test for HGH. Pay some company to do it, that's the only way it will get done. But I really don't know enough to say whether or not that's possible, but they can detect all sorts of hormones in piss, so why not this?

The Union won't let its players get blood tested, which is reasonable. No labor union would subject their members to it.
    The NFL has been using blood tests for years. Did you actually read the article? It says so -

The NFL has used preseason blood tests since at least 2006 for cholesterol and tryglycerates.
    =Z=

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Zeus wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

The NFL has been using blood tests for years. Did you actually read the article? It says so -

The NFL has used preseason blood tests since at least 2006 for cholesterol and tryglycerates.
    =Z=
    Yes, but to test for HGH I presume they'd use the same random style testing that they do now, where players are tested 6-7 times per year on average(up to 6 random tests in the offseason.)If pilots, bus drivers, etc, are not subjected to blood tests, why should athletes be?

And the current blood tests are scheduled blood tests for the sake of player health.

The NFL needs to focus on getting a test developed which can trace it in urine, then the union will have virtually no case against it.

Funny article about the current piss-testing.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Cooley-Zone-Adventures-in-NFL-drug-testing?urn=nfl,81183

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

=Z=
    Yes, but to test for HGH I presume they'd use the same random style testing that they do now, where players are tested 6-7 times per year on average(up to 6 random tests in the offseason.)If pilots, bus drivers, etc, are not subjected to blood tests, why should athletes be?

And the current blood tests are scheduled blood tests for the sake of player health.

The NFL needs to focus on getting a test developed which can trace it in urine, then the union will have virtually no case against it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Cooley-Zone-Adventures-in-NFL-drug-testing?urn=nfl,81183
    If it comes down to this, the Vikings should hire Onterrio Smith as a consultant.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

Pilots, bus drivers, etc. are not in a business where their success or failure is a direct result of that which HGH (and steroids) can make possible. That's why.

The NFL is not in the business of developing tests. That's the playground of WADA.

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Zeus wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

Pilots, bus drivers, etc. are not in a business where their success or failure is a direct result of that which HGH (and steroids) can make possible. That's why.

The NFL is not in the business of developing tests. That's the playground of WADA.

=Z=
    He said the NFL needs to get a test developed... I imagine he's talking about hiring an outside firm to do it, not the NFL itself.

It's OK to admit someone knows more on the topic than yourself.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Blood testing is invasive and presents problems with search and seizure laws.

Urine, hair, sweat, and saliva testing are not considered invasive.

So they consider deem it ok.

Kinda like Clinton not counting a bj as sex in my estimation.

I think there are some problems with HGH testing due to the fact that it is a normal occuring hormone with a wide degree of variation from individual to individual.

I certainly think they could find a reasonable cutoff level, however.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Blood testing is invasive and presents problems with search and seizure laws.

Urine, hair, sweat, and saliva testing are not considered invasive.

So they consider deem it ok.

Kinda like Clinton not counting a bj as sex in my estimation.

I think there are some problems with HGH testing due to the fact that it is a normal occuring hormone with a wide degree of variation from individual to individual.

I certainly think they could find a reasonable cutoff level, however.
    FORUM VIOLATION!

pp.o rule 1,234.47D. You are not allowed to post in a thread if you have a level of knowledge that would be respected in the non-football forum world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast