Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

NFL headed back to Britain in 2008

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/01/17/bc.fbn.nfl.britaingame.ap/index.html

[size=12pt]NFL headed back to Britain[/size]
    After succesful debut in '07, League will return in '08
    Posted: Thursday January 17, 2008 1:14PM; Updated: Thursday January 17, 2008 1:14PM

LONDON (AP) -- The NFL will return to Britain next season.

The league, which held its first regular season game outside North America in London last October, said Thursday it would come back again in 2008.

The teams, date and venue will be announced during Super Bowl week late this month or in early February.

The New York Giants beat the Miami Dolphins 13-10 in front of 81,176 fans at Wembley Stadium on Oct. 28.

"The game in London was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the entire 2007 season," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "We had an overwhelmingly positive response to the event from all involved -- the teams, our sponsors and business partners and of course the fans themselves."

Wembley officials weren't so ecstatic because the game, played through a persistent drizzle, tore up the field and left it in rough shape for England's crucial European Championship qualifier against Croatia on Nov. 21. The English lost that game 3-2 and failed to qualify for Euro 2008.

Besides Wembley, the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, is another possible venue for next season's game.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: NFL headed back to Britain in 2008

[size=15pt]NFL returning to UK[/size]

The National Football League is coming back across the pond. After playing a highly-successful game in London last October, the NFL announced today it will return to the United Kingdom for a competitive game in 2008 as part of the league�s International Series of regular-season games.

http://www.nfluk.com/news-display.php?id=2867

I must admit I was surprised at the UK getting a game in successive years. It was a sell-out and quickly and no doubt about it but the feedback I got was the impression that the crowd wasn't 'into' the game as much as a US crowd would. In fact Nick Halling - who is one of the co-presenters of Sky Sports NFL coverage - was less than pleased with the way that the crowd was in terms of supporting the game.
    Maybe the fact that one of the teams in the game made it through to the playoffs convinced the NFL that such a game doesn't affect a teams ability to make the post season.
    I seriously expected somewhere like Germany to get a game to host as they had such strong support shown when NFL Europe was being played.

So now to see who gets selected and which team has to give a home game for this. I don't know why but I just have a feeling that the Vikes might be considered on this. Firstly because it was an AFC team that forfeited the home game last year so it is the NFC's turn. Secondly I can just see the league loving the idea of parading AP as part of the promotion of the sport - the single game rushing record holder and one of the most exciting prospects to be drafted in recent years.

We shall see...
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

The Vikes should come home to the roots in Denmark, they could play at our national soccer stadium, rooms about 42.000 people..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"skum" wrote:
    The Vikes should come home to the roots in Denmark, they could play at our national soccer stadium, rooms about 42.000 people..

That's nowheres near big enough. That's only roughly 65% of the capacity that the Metrodome holds.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

NFL returning to London in 2008

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008/01/17/nfl-returning-to-london/
    http://www.nfluk.com/news-display.php?id=2867

The National Football League has announced that American football will return to Wembley Stadium in 2008.

“The game in London was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the entire 2007 season,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said.
    “The fan interest was tremendous.
    The passion they demonstrated for our sport that day continued throughout the season, as television viewership in the UK has grown by 40 percent since the game.

“We had an overwhelmingly positive response to the event from all involved – the teams, our sponsors and business partners and of course the fans themselves.
    We look forward to another spectacular event in 2008.”

That said, the game itself wasn’t very compelling, given that the already-slick soccer pitch was made even slicker by rains upon the non-domed stadium.

Details as to the 2008 game are expected to be announced in connection with Super Bowl XLII.
    The league also is expected to continue to explore the possibility of adding a seventeenth regular-season game, which would allow every team to play one game per year in other countries (and/or, as we’ve suggested, neutral sites like huge college stadiums) while still playing eight home games each per season.

The identities of the teams to travel to England for 2008 currently are unknown.
    The Giants and Dolphins made the trip in 2007.
    Eastern teams with low attendance for home games would be prime candidates for the shifting of a game to London.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: NFL returning to London in 2008

i thought the point of this international thing was to go from city to city, not just hold a game in the same place every year
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

In 2006 they voted to have one game in a city outside the US each year for five years.
    They never specified that the city would change, but I think it was implied.

I am surprised that they are not having it in Germany this year.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

This is the first I've heard about adding an additional regular season game to every team's schedule.
    I actually like that idea.
    One more week of football each season!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Eastern teams with low attendance for home games would be prime candidates for the shifting of a game to London.

Jacksonville?

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I wonder how the attendance sits with Miami and Carolina as well.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast