Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Benet is offline Star Spokesman

NFL Head Coach Demo Now Online!

NFL Head Coach Demo

For y'all who want your fix before Madden comes out, here it is! I've already got the game on pre-order, but I'm so bored when there's no World Cup on tv I'm gonna get this and see what it's like!

I'll come back with a review of what you can do in the demo later.

[EDIT] Firstly, before I've even installed it, this download is 300 megabytes.

Just thought that was worth mentioning.

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: NFL Head Coach Demo Now Online!

Look's pretty cool!

I am really really itching for Madden to come out though

Thank you Josdin for the sig

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Williamson8211" wrote:
    Look's pretty cool!

I am really really itching for Madden to come out though
    I am too, but it's less than a month until NCAA 07 comes out!

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Defnitely something to pass the time by until madden comes out. Sounds like a pretty cool game. Definitely different.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Man, im getting a black screen when starting the game.. anyone knows what i might be doing wrong?

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

Let me know how it is!

I'm not sure if I want to get it or not....maybe I'll try the demo too.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

I think it is a pretty cool game, I just think it would get boring after a while

Thanks PurpleMafia

"skum" wrote:
    Man, im getting a black screen when starting the game.. anyone knows what i might be doing wrong?
    You might need to download a .dll that is missing from your system. I had to download a .dll file because the demo wouldn't work on my PC otherwise. Or you might need a more recent version of DirectX.. or it might be that your PC's graphics card isn't up to it, but I doubt that because it works fine on my PC and my PC is old as the hills!

The demo itself is split up into different parts. There's the Draft/Career option, which gives you the chance to run as the HC/GM of the Houston Texans from the week before, to the end of Day 1 of the draft. There's the Gameday demo, that gives you the chance to run the sidelines as Bill Cowher and the Pittsburgh Steelers against the Seahawks in a rematch of Superbowl XL. And there's the Practice option where you get to act as Bill Parcells and run the practices in Dallas.

With regards to the game, I don't know if it's the demo or not but it is SLOOOOOOOOOOW, and I mean that in every sense. The pre-draft portion is slow, but that's because there are a number of menus and screens to be navigated. This is definitely a game designed to be played on a PS2, which is annoying for us PC users as the mouse is criminally underutilized. One thing that is slightly annoying about the draft is the layout of the whole thing. Also, it might just be the demo, but there's no power rankings and no draft board to work from. This results in frankly ridiculous drafts; I've done 2 now, and I traded down from the top spot both times to get some more first-day picks, and the 49ers (to whom I traded the #1 pick for their first and second round picks) tok Haloti N'gati at #1!! In this draft Reggie Bush, Vince Young and Matt Leinart dropped to the bottom half of the first round! But that's the draft I guess. The playbook manager and play creator looks pretty decent, especially as you can incorporate your plays as you want, and create your own playbook using all the jargon you want (as I discuss below).

The gameday mode, as I said is where the SLOOOOOOOOW problem really lies. It's like the whole thing's being played at half speed. I understand that's so you can make your adjustments and things before the snap, speaking of which, why can you control the snap?! Surely that's the QB's job? Anyway, I hope the final version of the game runs as fast as Madden does. I have to admit, I really enjoyed the gameday mode. I love all the different scenarios in your playbook, and all the jargon that goes with them (ie: Base Defense is BLUE, Special Teams is WHITE, Goal-Line is RED and such. And RAZOR is first-down, CRUSH is second-and-short, YELLOW is second-and-medium, FIRE is second-and-LONG etc). It can get frustrating at times, especially when your QB chooses the wrong guy to throw to, or your running back picks the wrong hole to try to run through, but then that's the life of an NFL HC!

The practice mode is something that I don't have much opinion on, it's basically exactly the same as the Superstar Mode practices on Madden 2006, except you don't control the players. One nice touch though, is that you can choose the first-string, second-string or even third-string offense and defense. And it seems as though the more you get players involved in practices, the better chances they have to improve. This will have a lot more of an effect in the career mode than it did on the old Superstar mode, because back then all you did was make sure your guy got the ball and it improved him.

In short; hopefully the gameday mode doesn't play as slow as this in the final version, and the demo does take away from the enjoyment factor because you can't really get involved in the Career Mode before it ends, and you can't execute any kind of strategy in the gameday mode because it's set to 1 minute quarters. The draft presentation (the ESPN intro and stuff) looks really good tho, and the practices play out as you'd hope. I would say that this is NOT a game for those who want a quick half hour and then go do something else. This is going to take up a LOT of your time, especially as you get everything set up as you want it; your playbook, your trades, your coaches, your practices, etc.

I'm looking forward to the real thing! :grin:

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

What DLL file?!, im having a feeling its my CPU - cause in the readme it says that amd processor that does not support SSE, could experience graphical issues.. What is your CPU?

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

"skum" wrote:
    What DLL file?!, im having a feeling its my CPU - cause in the readme it says that amd processor that does not support SSE, could experience graphical issues.. What is your CPU?
    My CPU is AMD Athlon 2000+ (kickin' it old school I am!), and don't worry! The problem won't be the .dll file I mentioned, cos when I first tried to run the demo a specific message box popped up and said "Unable to run NFL Head Coach because -insert dll filename here- is missing".

And for the record, I have NO idea what SSE is. :???:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast