Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

NFL goes Hi Def for Instant Replay

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/08/09/bc.fbn.instantreplay.hd.ap/index.html

[size=12pt]NFL goes Hi Def[/size]
    League improves instant replay capabilities
    Posted: Thursday August 9, 2007 3:45PM; Updated: Thursday August 9, 2007 3:45PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- All the fans who ever grumbled that they could do a better job than NFL referees -- well, maybe they were right.

Or at least some of them had better equipment with which to make instant replay decisions.

So the league this season is switching to high definition technology for its officials to use to review plays on the field.

"As more people were getting high definition TV at home, they actually had a better view than the referee charged with making the decision," said Dean Blandino, the NFL's director of instant replay. "That could've bit us in the rear if we continued that."

HD systems have been installed in all but three stadiums and will be in use during the preseason. The three exceptions are due to the New York teams, Dallas and Indianapolis awaiting the opening of new facilities, which will have HD capabilities. For now, their current stadiums have HD hardware but not the signal, which means the image quality is better than before but not as good as in other cities -- or in fans' homes.

This is the first time the NFL has upgraded its technology since reinstating instant replay in 1999.

"The biggest concern we've heard from referees is about the quality of the picture they were viewing," Blandino said.

That shouldn't be a problem anymore. The HD images are five times sharper than the previous standard definition system, according to Harris Corporation, which supplies the NFL's replay equipment.

Even without the clearer picture, referees would have an easier time seeing the video with the new monitors. The screens are bigger _ 26 inches compared with 20 -- and officials no longer have to view them from a set distance. Instead, they can stand closer or farther away if they choose.

But the greatest impact will come from the crisper images. The difference between standard and high definition is particularly stark for slow motion replays and freeze frames, said Rich Zabel, a vice president at Harris.

Not only will the HD systems allow refs to make better calls, Blandino said, but they'll have another effect fans can appreciate: quicker decisions.

About half of the situations that have been reviewed since 1999 involved whether a potential catch was complete or incomplete, Blandino said. He believes the new HD replays will help officials greatly with that type of call.

"What used to be, 'Is this foot in or out of bounds?"' Zabel said, "is now that you can see the blades of grass between the foot and the sideline."

[size=6pt]Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.[/size]
    Great.
    If only Tice were still the Vikings head coach so he could challenge calls and be shown to be wrong in HD!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Re: NFL goes Hi Def for Instant Replay

what is so great about HD i have never seen it is it really that great???

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"DaVizzles" wrote:
    In all honesty, YES!
    Especially for football.
    You can see the individual stains on a players crisp never before worn jersey.
    Unfortunatly you can also see the many layers of makeup the chearleaders are wearing.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Oh man HD is like the cat's @$$ top-notch T.V. viewing. will make you wanna go get a HD TV.
    Besides I already Figured that the NFL had HD for replays because 99% percent of the refs being blind an all.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Billy" wrote:
    "DaVizzles" wrote:
    In all honesty, YES!
    Especially for football.
    You can see the individual stains on a players crisp never before worn jersey.
    Unfortunatly you can also see the many layers of makeup the chearleaders are wearing.
    And the hairs on the camels toe

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Well my Madden 2007 is in HD, and the refs still get the challenges wrong, lol.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.