Thread: NFL FA Sleepers

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

NFL FA Sleepers

I think that if we don't get Carr or Garcia, we should look at Tim Rattay as a backup to TJack:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2784116
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: NFL FA Sleepers

I have never understood the philosophy of the back up QB in this league. To me, I would want want my backup to be as close physically and mentally to the starter as possible,so that in the even we had to make a switch, that the skill players had to make as few adjustments to the change as possible.

If Tjack is going to be our starter I would find someone with some of the same strengths. Fir example,if he has a cannon for an arm and is a straight drop back passer with limited mobility I would get a backup with a cannon for an arm and limited mobility like Bledsoe and build the team to their strengths. I would not bring in a shorter,scrambling roll out qb like garcia who has more limited arm strength.(Not that TJ has no mobility,I used that trait as an example to tie in to Bledsoe)

If I had Michael Vick as my main QB I would not have Bledsoe as my backup because the two styles are so different that if we had an emergency and had to switch QB's I would want the team to have to make as few mental and physical adjustments as possible.

If Rattay has similar traits to TJ then I say go for it.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I have never understood the philosophy of the back up QB in this league. To me, I would want want my backup to be as close physically and mentally to the starter as possible,so that in the even we had to make a switch, that the skill players had to make as few adjustments to the change as possible.

If Tjack is going to be our starter I would find someone with some of the same strengths. Fir example,if he has a cannon for an arm and is a straight drop back passer with limited mobility I would get a backup with a cannon for an arm and limited mobility like Bledsoe and build the team to their strengths. I would not bring in a shorter,scrambling roll out qb like garcia who has more limited arm strength.(Not that TJ has no mobility,I used that trait as an example to tie in to Bledsoe)

If I had Michael Vick as my main QB I would not have Bledsoe as my backup because the two styles are so different that if we had an emergency and had to switch QB's I would want the team to have to make as few mental and physical adjustments as possible.

2 problems with that

1) name one free agebt with the same strengths as tj. is gonna be hard to find one.

2) money. if tj is starting here why would a guy who is just like him want to be his backup? we would have to pay alot more for him.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I'd say he has better than limited mobility.

And Tim Rattay has always played well in the backup roll, I agree with you there Cajun.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I DEFINITELY DON'T want Bledslow!!!!
    >

Schleppy is offline Starter

Heres an artilcle on Terry Bradshaw's view.
    TERRY TAKES UP FOR TIM

By all accounts, Terry Bradshaw wasn't upset when rumors of his demise circulated a couple of months ago.
    In contrast, however, he's pissed off that fellow Lousiana Tech alum Tim Rattay currently has no job.

"I don't understand it," Bradshaw said earlier this week.
    "Tim isn't a problem, he's a great guy in the locker room.
    He played great those last four games in Tampa Bay last season and he doesn't get a chance?

"They made a mistake," Bradshaw said of the 49ers' decision not to keep Rattay. "The West Coast offense needs a guy who's smart, accurate and can throws [sic] passes to the right people.
    That's Tim."

At a time when there really aren't that many great quarterbacks available, we tend to agree with Bradshaw.
    Why haven't the Raiders called Rattay?
    Or the Vikings?

In Minnesota, Rattay instantly would go to the top of the depth chart.
    And he likely could "manage" a game far better than former starter Brad Johnson, who primarily "managed" to throw a bunch of stupid interceptions last year.

Rattay turned 30 last month, and still has at least five or six years in his arm.
    Maybe more.
    So we agree with Bradshaw; the fact that Rattay isn't on an NFL roster really makes no sense.

"Schleppy" wrote:
    Heres an artilcle on Terry Bradshaw's view.
    TERRY TAKES UP FOR TIM

By all accounts, Terry Bradshaw wasn't upset when rumors of his demise circulated a couple of months ago.
    In contrast, however, he's pissed off that fellow Lousiana Tech alum Tim Rattay currently has no job.

"I don't understand it," Bradshaw said earlier this week.
    "Tim isn't a problem, he's a great guy in the locker room.
    He played great those last four games in Tampa Bay last season and he doesn't get a chance?

"They made a mistake," Bradshaw said of the 49ers' decision not to keep Rattay. "The West Coast offense needs a guy who's smart, accurate and can throws [sic] passes to the right people.
    That's Tim."

At a time when there really aren't that many great quarterbacks available, we tend to agree with Bradshaw.
    Why haven't the Raiders called Rattay?
    Or the Vikings?

In Minnesota, Rattay instantly would go to the top of the depth chart.
    And he likely could "manage" a game far better than former starter Brad Johnson, who primarily "managed" to throw a bunch of stupid interceptions last year.

Rattay turned 30 last month, and still has at least five or six years in his arm.
    Maybe more.
    So we agree with Bradshaw; the fact that Rattay isn't on an NFL roster really makes no sense.
    Rattay would be an adequate short-term solution if TJack can't handle being the starter yet.

I defidently wouldnt mind picking up Rattay, it would be nice to have that depth behind TJ or Brooks Bollinger.

Nebvikefan is offline Rookie

I forgot about Rattay!!!
    I don't know why he isn't on a roster either.
    I would be very happy if the vikes picked up Rattay.
    I thought he did well on the 49ers and Buccs.
    I think he would be a great backup and he may do very well with the vikes offense if he managed to be the starter.

I really believe the reason that the vikings haven't signed a QB yet is because they want to keep up this illusion or maybe even hope (not sure which one it is yet) of picking up Quinn with the #7 pick.
    That is definitely what i think is going on.
    "If you need two yards, I'll get you three.
    If you need five yards, I'll get you three.
    "-Leroy Hoard

"Nebvikefan" wrote:
    I forgot about Rattay!!!
    I don't know why he isn't on a roster either.
    I would be very happy if the vikes picked up Rattay.
    I thought he did well on the 49ers and Buccs.
    I think he would be a great backup and he may do very well with the vikes offense if he managed to be the starter.

I really believe the reason that the vikings haven't signed a QB yet is because they want to keep up this illusion or maybe even hope (not sure which one it is yet) of picking up Quinn with the #7 pick.
    That is definitely what i think is going on.
    Let's hope so...and I hope that they are doing the same thing regarding WRs.
    That they will surprise us and make a big move regarding our WR problem.