Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,599
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL in Europe - its official.. London hosts

    Interesting reaction from some of the fans in the UK.
    Sounds like a lot of them are pretty bitter about the two NFLE teams leaving.
    I liked this quote though:
    It has a huge misconception in the UK as being rugby for nancy's with helmets, where in fact it is a completely different game and the armour is necessary because whereas in Rugby you get tackled and almost dragged to the floor, in the NFL a defensive Linebacker who probably outweighs a receiver by 4 stone doesn't tackle him by the waist to the floor, he rams him to the ground as hard and fast as he can!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #12
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: NFL in Europe - its official.. London hosts

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Interesting reaction from some of the fans in the UK.
    Sounds like a lot of them are pretty bitter about the two NFLE teams leaving.
    I liked this quote though:

    It has a huge misconception in the UK as being rugby for nancy's with helmets, where in fact it is a completely different game and the armour is necessary because whereas in Rugby you get tackled and almost dragged to the floor, in the NFL a defensive Linebacker who probably outweighs a receiver by 4 stone doesn't tackle him by the waist to the floor, he rams him to the ground as hard and fast as he can!
    I know from speaking with non-Americans about football in the past that large numbers of them poo-poo the helmets and pads.

    Generally, I've discussed the impacts in the trenches and the job of the strong safety as an explanation of why the pads\helmets are necessary.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  3. #13
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,768
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: NFL in Europe - its official.. London hosts

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Interesting reaction from some of the fans in the UK.
    Sounds like a lot of them are pretty bitter about the two NFLE teams leaving.
    I liked this quote though:

    It has a huge misconception in the UK as being rugby for nancy's with helmets, where in fact it is a completely different game and the armour is necessary because whereas in Rugby you get tackled and almost dragged to the floor, in the NFL a defensive Linebacker who probably outweighs a receiver by 4 stone doesn't tackle him by the waist to the floor, he rams him to the ground as hard and fast as he can!
    I know from speaking with non-Americans about football in the past that large numbers of them poo-poo the helmets and pads.

    Generally, I've discussed the impacts in the trenches and the job of the strong safety as an explanation of why the pads\helmets are necessary.

    =Z=
    There is a certain amount of resentment here with the loss of the Monarchs and Claymores to Germany. Also some feel let down after the great support that was given to the American Bowl games here when they were first played. It did suddenly feel as if the UK was forgotten about and suddenly Germany was the favoured 'son'.
    There is also the fact in the difference to the amount of live games to see during the regular season in the UK compared to what is available in Europe. So some feel that having a large and fervent NFL following in the UK is ignored.

    The misconception about helmets and pads is a common one and I have had to deal with it over the years. In the early days of the amateur league many players were former rugby players, so slowly that feeling is dying out but will take many years.
    Basically those in the know about the game will always have to teach the 'heathens'
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  4. #14
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,768
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: NFL in Europe - its official.. London hosts

    Couple more links today from the NFLUK site

    http://www.nfluk.com/news-display.php?id=2293

    Nick Halling - who is one of the presenters of Sky Sports NFL coverage - he's a Steelers fan but he's ok and does know his football
    ;D
    http://www.nfluk.com/features-display.php?id=2292

    Gary Imlach - who is presenting highlights of the playoff games on ITV - also used to be a presenter when Channel 4 had NFL coverage
    ... don't read this if you may be easily offended !
    His views aren't typical of all
    http://www.nfluk.com/features-display.php?id=2294
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  5. #15
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: NFL in Europe - its official.. London hosts

    "AngloVike" wrote:
    Gary Imlach - who is presenting highlights of the playoff games on ITV - also used to be a presenter when Channel 4 had NFL coverage
    ... don't read this if you may be easily offended !
    His views aren't typical of all
    http://www.nfluk.com/features-display.php?id=2294
    LOL!

    And it’ll all be bearable because of the game. Think of it this way: they get Beckham, we get the Dolphins and the Giants (according to all the rumours). Seems like a good deal to me. At that cultural exchange rate I reckon we could land a Lions-Cardinals fixture in return for the Sheffield Wednesday subs bench and some Umbro training tops.
    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  6. #16
    PurpleGator's Avatar
    PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,685

    Re: NFL in Europe - its official.. London hosts

    I really wish the Vikings would get a chance to play there.


    I know they want a New York team.
    I was betting on that.


    At first I thought it would be the skins vs giants but they are talking about Miami.


    That seems like the only team they really are betting on so far.

  7. #17
    Ayresd's Avatar
    Ayresd is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    26

    Re: NFL in Europe - its official.. London hosts

    Well all is official then, you UK NFL fans.

    We have now had confirmation that the game will be played Sunday 28th October.

    The only way I have found to prioritise any ticket info is via membership of the NFLUK website. Tickets are to range from £35-£45 to £60+. and will be released in the 'spring'.

    I have already booked my hotel in anticipation!

    NB: they do not guarantee allocation, as this depends on demand!

    I am already hearing though that, surprise, surprise the 'prawn sandwich brigade' (corporate hospitality) will be latching on in force.
    I have selected to sit in the Dolphins allocation, as them beating an NFC team could help us down the line?

    Keep Posting !
    See, Jesus Is Purple..

  8. #18
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,204

    Re: NFL in Europe - its official.. London hosts

    [size=13pt]Game switch to London angers Dolphins' fans[/size]

    '07 home game moved to London

    By Harvey Fialkov and Sarah Talalay
    South Florida Sun-
    Sentinel
    Posted February 3 2007



    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #19
    Benet's Avatar
    Benet is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,976

    Re: NFL in Europe - its official.. London hosts

    http://www.nfllondon2007.com/

    The official site.

    And yes.. I'm already registered for ticket alerts. I'm up for 4 tickets at £65 plus. If I don't get half-way line tickets I'm gonna be pissed.

    But I'll boo Eli Manning with all my lungs no matter where I sit.

  10. #20
    Mr-holland's Avatar
    Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,443

    Re: NFL in Europe - its official.. London hosts

    "Benet" wrote:
    http://www.nfllondon2007.com/

    The official site.

    And yes.. I'm already registered for ticket alerts. I'm up for 4 tickets at £65 plus. If I don't get half-way line tickets I'm gonna be pissed.

    But I'll boo Eli Manning with all my lungs no matter where I sit.
    Same here, i already registered to
    Hopefully we can make a nice trip out of it
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ponder hosts workout; gives playbook to vets
    By i_bleed_purple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-11-2011, 06:35 PM
  2. Jared Allen hosts Glazier's After Party (Video)
    By snowinapril in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 03:35 PM
  3. Adrian Peterson hosts Special Olympics athletes
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
  4. Church Hosts 'Porn and Pancakes' Event
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 06:41 PM
  5. What channel bests hosts the vikings on?
    By vikingfan21 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 09:13 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •