Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Proposed rule aimed at aggressive runners, such as Vikings' Peterson

Proposed rule aimed at aggressive runners, such as Vikings' Peterson | StarTribune.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Proposed rule aimed at aggressive runners, such as Vikings' Peterson

Proposed rule aimed at aggressive runners, such as Vikings' Peterson | StarTribune.com
    I think it makes it tough for the running backs, Frazier said. Its such an instinctive motion to duck that head to try to protect yourself.
    I wonder how many rushing yards this new rule will cost him on his quest to break Dickerson's record with good and bad calls thrown against him?

How many penalty yards are being enforced with this new rule?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    How many penalty yards are being enforced with this new rule?
    It's a 15 yard personal foul.

Culpepper_4717 is offline Asst. Coach Chopper Challenge Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    It's a 15 yard personal foul.
    Can't wait to see how many of our drives get screwed over by this 15 yards

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I honestly don't think this will affect us the way we think it will.

THe rule is there to basically stop a RB from headbutting someone similar to this: Houston Oilers - Earl Campbell runs over Rams (Original Commentary) - YouTube

It doesnt stop you from lowering the shoulder and plowing through a defender, it stops you from headbutting them in the chest or head. Difference. There's only a couple times I can think of AP being affected by this, even this hit I don't think would call a flag: http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/a...fs/51761_o.gif

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    One of the things that was mentioned yesterday (helmet rule) by (I think) Mike Pereira regarding the rule was even if the call gets missed the league will still get the opportunity to review tape and dole out the fines. This is an effort to change the culture of the game for player safety....blah blah blah lawsuits the league is facing subtext etc

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I honestly don't think this will affect us the way we think it will.

THe rule is there to basically stop a RB from headbutting someone similar to this: Houston Oilers - Earl Campbell runs over Rams (Original Commentary) - YouTube

It doesnt stop you from lowering the shoulder and plowing through a defender, it stops you from headbutting them in the chest or head. Difference. There's only a couple times I can think of AP being affected by this, even this hit I don't think would call a flag: http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/a...fs/51761_o.gif
    I bet that would draw a flag. When you look at it again on video it appears that AP hit him with the shoulder, but in real speed it is hard to tell and I would say that at least half of the time that would be a 15 yard penalty.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Does anyone other than me think that this rule change may have been prompted by more than just player safety issues? Like, maybe a previously "unbreakable" record being in legitimate danger?

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    Does anyone other than me think that this rule change may have been prompted by more than just player safety issues? Like, maybe a previously "unbreakable" record being in legitimate danger?
    Not me... After Listening to Willie Lanier on Sirius today, I'm convinced he, a Hall of Fame Linebacker, was able to convince the Competition Committee that players can change their game, and, more importantly, should. Look into the Willie Lanier story, a pretty severe and life threatening, head injury as a rookie. He changed the way he played, and, went on for another 10 years. For those of you who remember Willie, he was a bad MOFO...but, he was clean.

He had a great influence on this new Rule, I'm convinced. People that think there is a conspiracy for this Rule because of the existing Players vs NFL Lawsuit IMO are correct that the Lawsuit provides some influence, however, I don't believe it is the catalyst. Jeff Fisher was a huge proponent of this Rule change, I'm not buying that he was bought out, or, that he has gone soft to Goodell. From what I remember, Fisher couldn't cover well, but, he was a beast tackler.

Re: tuck rule...I think all of us have thought WTF.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    Not me... After Listening to Willie Lanier on Sirius today, I'm convinced he, a Hall of Fame Linebacker, was able to convince the Competition Committee that players can change their game, and, more importantly, should. Look into the Willie Lanier story, a pretty severe and life threatening, head injury as a rookie. He changed the way he played, and, went on for another 10 years. For those of you who remember Willie, he was a bad MOFO...but, he was clean.

He had a great influence on this new Rule, I'm convinced. People that think there is a conspiracy for this Rule because of the existing Players vs NFL Lawsuit IMO are correct that the Lawsuit provides some influence, however, I don't believe it is the catalyst. Jeff Fisher was a huge proponent of this Rule change, I'm not buying that he was bought out, or, that he has gone soft to Goodell. From what I remember, Fisher couldn't cover well, but, he was a beast tackler.

Re: tuck rule...I think all of us have thought WTF.
    If you want to see an interesting documentary on sports and concussions Head Games is pretty good and show how the NFL change their direction in even recognizing what they were. It covers football, hockey, soccer and wrestling

Head Games

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast