Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

NFL defends, explains Goodell’s $44 million compensation

NFL defends, explains Goodell’s $44 million compensation
    Posted by Mike Florio on February 14, 2014.

Commissioner Roger Goodell made $44.2 million last year. But he didn’t actually make $44.2 million.

In actuality, he earned $35.1 million in salary, bonus, and pension compensation for the one-year period (ending March 31, 2013) covered by the Form 1099, filed by all tax-exempt organizations.

Apart from the explanation, which once the numbers get above $10 million don’t really matter to 99.99999 percent of us, the league has defended Goodell’s high wages via a stream of quotes from owners serving on the Compensation Commitee

“Commissioner Goodell’s compensation reflects the value of his leadership and the success of the NFL at the highest levels,” Falcons owner Arthur Blank said. “His significant accomplishments continue to strengthen our game, our business and our leading position in the sports industry.”

“I have had the privilege of working with Roger Goodell closely over the past eight years,” Patriots owner Robert Kraft said. “He provided great leadership and vision in helping navigate through a major labor negotiation and extending our TV contracts, which in fact have created a decade of stability that is unheard of in today’s sports and entertainment environment. I feel that as Commissioner he runs the business as if he were an owner-operator. I consider him to be one of the most outstanding managers in the country. We are lucky to have him at the helm.”
    Billionaire owners defending $35 million compensation for the commissioner of a league that is a monopoly and a non-taxed non-profit that earns billions for owners each year?

Ticket prices are up, state and local taxes to support NFL stadiums are up, and Congress cuts unemployment benefits and food stamps at the same time. There may a joke here somewhere, but I am not laughing.

NFL defends, explains Goodell’s $44 million compensation | ProFootballTalk

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    The league he runs does not make money, it's paid to administrate by the 32 franchises encompassing the league, who are taxed. Are they taxed enough? I'm not sure. Probably not though. Does Roger Goodell pay taxes on his bonus? Of course. Does he pay enough? Probably not.

Goodell runs that administration, and I'm willing to bet that every team turned 100 million+ in profit last season. That's based on the fact that the Panthers made $121 million in the season prior. If they each want to give 1 - 1.5% of that to him as a bonus, I don't have a problem with it.

It's just super rich guys giving another not-quite-as-super-rich guy a big bonus. It happens every year in corporations who impact our lives much more evidently on a yearly basis, just not as publicly.

Is it an obscene amount to make in one year? Yeah, I guess it is. But that's the American way... when you're the connected son of a senator, who also happens to basically be the chairman of a $9 billion corporation. A guy who negotiated a collective bargaining agreement that's only going to make the owners richer and richer each season. He's gonna keep getting paid, he might just ask for the owners to give it to him in a more creative way to avoid media scrutiny. It is, after all, his job to protect the image of the NFL.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    First, I think there is a misconception about the NFL; the TEAMS are businesses, but the organization that sets schedules and drafts, yadda yadda is a non-profit. Kinda like a club that 32 businesses all have joined.

I have ZERO problem with billionaires making more money; they employ a LOT of people, and pay them very well. The players themselves are part of the top 1% of the top 1%. But that doesn't mean I am happy with the NFL as a whole.

I think it is outrageous how much it costs for a single person to go to a game, much less a family. The NFL's own commercial about the "experience of going to a NFL game" shows the man in question paying $125 for a single ticket, and he WASN'T on the 50 yard line, nor was it a playoff game. It is expensive, and they don't try to hide it.

Most of the discussions about the number of games, where they are played, pre-season, etc revolve around keeping those prices at that level of higher. With all the billions of dollars flowing into the professional game, why can't they at least TRY to keep the prices down for some of the seats?

In SF for a SF Giants (baseball) game, you can go to AT&T park and stand at the fence behind center field and watch 2 innings for free; then they clear out those people and allow the next group in. The bleachers can cost as little as $5. Now, if you want to sit in the front area from the 3rd base line to the first base line, and especially behind homeplate, it will cost you dearly. But it is affordable enough for me to take my family!! Well, at least it was when I lived near by.

I will never be able to take my family to a NFL game, unless I win the lottery.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    No damn way that putz should be making way more than any player or coach in this league. For what? Looking stupid and doing nothing?

Rage4Order is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    First, I think there is a misconception about the NFL; the TEAMS are businesses, but the organization that sets schedules and drafts, yadda yadda is a non-profit. Kinda like a club that 32 businesses all have joined.

I have ZERO problem with billionaires making more money; they employ a LOT of people, and pay them very well. The players themselves are part of the top 1% of the top 1%. But that doesn't mean I am happy with the NFL as a whole.

I think it is outrageous how much it costs for a single person to go to a game, much less a family. The NFL's own commercial about the "experience of going to a NFL game" shows the man in question paying $125 for a single ticket, and he WASN'T on the 50 yard line, nor was it a playoff game. It is expensive, and they don't try to hide it.

Most of the discussions about the number of games, where they are played, pre-season, etc revolve around keeping those prices at that level of higher. With all the billions of dollars flowing into the professional game, why can't they at least TRY to keep the prices down for some of the seats?

In SF for a SF Giants (baseball) game, you can go to AT&T park and stand at the fence behind center field and watch 2 innings for free; then they clear out those people and allow the next group in. The bleachers can cost as little as $5. Now, if you want to sit in the front area from the 3rd base line to the first base line, and especially behind homeplate, it will cost you dearly. But it is affordable enough for me to take my family!! Well, at least it was when I lived near by.

I will never be able to take my family to a NFL game, unless I win the lottery.
    How could any sane person in the world say they have no problem with billionaires making even more money. They employ a lot of people and pay them well. Where is this happening. How many people here in America are still employed by GM or Ford. They continue to make billions while getting all their parts from 3rd world countries. Where they pay them shit, and still bring that product here and sell it to us that they laid off to make more money. Americans standard of living has been declining and will continue to do so. NO country can economically survive without a manufacturing base. We have no manufacturing base here anymore. The majority of all manufacturing is in China. Or let me guess you also enjoy paying over $4 a gallon of gas, while oil companies are enjoying record profits.

Abe Froman is offline Rookie
    I just figured he was pocketing all the money he fines the players for illegal hits.
    Trying out some new forums since I got my ip banned on Purple Chat 2 weeks ago...