Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 109
  1. #1
    VikingMike's Avatar
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,820

    NFL considers overtime changes for playoffs

    NFL considers overtime changes for playoffs


    The change would be subtle and wouldn’t necessarily require that both teams get possession. Any touchdown would still result in a sudden-death result.

    However, if the team that got the first possession of overtime scored only a field goal, the other team would get a possession. If the second team scored a touchdown, it would win. If it scored a field goal, the game would continue, whereupon it would revert to simple sudden death.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

    Come from the land of the ice and snow...

  2. #2
    scottishvike's Avatar
    scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Posts
    1,712
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re:NFL considers overtime changes for playoffs

    Despite what happened to us recently I would keep it the way it is. The special teams and defense have every chance to step it up if you lose the toss.

  3. #3
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,304

    Re:NFL considers overtime changes for playoffs

    Similar to a good idea brought up in these parts by Tad. First team to six points win ... although this does not make that the case straight up.

    I definitely would not hate to see this implemented in the playoffs.

  4. #4
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,776
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re:NFL considers overtime changes for playoffs

    Some nice ideas and would stop teams just looking to move the ball to the opposing 40yd line or so and chance a FG to win.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  5. #5
    Vikes's Avatar
    Vikes is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,733

    Re:NFL considers overtime changes for playoffs

    Best idea yet!

    First to 6 pts.

    Once again rule change after huge Minny gets screwed!

    AZ Cards force out rule!
    300

    The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

    300

  6. #6
    scottishvike's Avatar
    scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Posts
    1,712
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re:NFL considers overtime changes for playoffs

    If this does get implemented who wants to bet we make the championship game again, it goes to OT again. We win the toss drive down the field and make the FG, kick the ball off and watch as IT GETS RETURNED FOR A TD. :unsure:

  7. #7
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re:NFL considers overtime changes for playoffs

    scottishvike wrote:
    If this does get implemented who wants to bet we make the championship game again, it goes to OT again. We win the toss drive down the field and make the FG, kick the ball off and watch as IT GETS RETURNED FOR A TD. :unsure:
    Funny. I was thinking the same thing.

  8. #8
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re:NFL considers overtime changes for playoffs

    Think about it.......If they implement this change, it pretty much knullifies two aspects of the game.....

    Defense - Basically says you can't stop anyone.
    ST's - Who cares if your Kicker is better than thiers or that your coverage team can pin them deep.

    Just goes to show that the NFL is changing, almost to the point that its all about the offense.....

    All very sad if you ask me. :dry:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #9
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re:NFL considers overtime changes for playoffs

    VikingMike wrote:
    NFL considers overtime changes for playoffs


    The change would be subtle and wouldn’t necessarily require that both teams get possession. Any touchdown would still result in a sudden-death result.

    However, if the team that got the first possession of overtime scored only a field goal, the other team would get a possession. If the second team scored a touchdown, it would win. If it scored a field goal, the game would continue, whereupon it would revert to simple sudden death.
    I'm on record as saying I don't think anything needs to change.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  10. #10
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:NFL considers overtime changes for playoffs

    Marrdro wrote:
    Think about it.......If they implement this change, it pretty much knullifies two aspects of the game.....

    Defense - Basically says you can't stop anyone.
    ST's - Who cares if your Kicker is better than thiers or that your coverage team can pin them deep.

    Just goes to show that the NFL is changing, almost to the point that its all about the offense.....

    All very sad if you ask me. :dry:
    I don't think so.

    The problem with the current overtime rules is that the aspect of the game changes so dramatically in overtime. In regulation, the team plays for a TD every drive, and settles for a FG if they can't score. In overtime, the team plays for a FG. It shortens the field, making defense almost impossible. That is why the team who wins the coin toss also wins the game more often than not.

    This will HELP the defense. Now if a defense can keep a team out of the endzone, the team has a fighting chance to win. Pinning a team deep on ST adds to the game in overtime just like it would in regulation.

    This, IMHO, makes OT in a football game much more relevent to the way the game is actually played.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NFL overtime
    By Dieter in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
  2. N.Y. considers $1,000 fine for feeding pigeons
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 08:33 AM
  3. Kentucky Beats LSU in Overtime
    By COJOMAY in forum College Ball
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 01:18 PM
  4. NFL considers 2 games a year outside U.S
    By Vikes_King in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-04-2006, 12:13 AM
  5. An overtime question...
    By supafreak8403 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2006, 02:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •