Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

NFL considers 2 games a year outside U.S

Two NFL games a year overseas? Owners will consider it

By DAVE GOLDBERG, AP Football Writer
    September 28, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- NFL owners will consider next month whether to play two games a year outside the United States, starting with contests in Canada, Mexico, Britain and Germany.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ag2slVZQOu9TJenHvM_YMGZDubYF?slug=ap-nfl-overseasgames&prov=ap&type=lgns

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Re: NFL considers 2 games a year outside U.S

That would suck sweaty anus.

Seriously.

NFL tickets are already too expensive for many fans to afford. This would just be another step in making pro football games events where only the wealthy and supremely lucky are welcome.

This comes from a person who's only Vikes game live was 18 years ago. I was 5, and I can barely remember it.

Last time I checked, it was the NATIONAL Football League. Somehow, though, I won't hold my breath for the emergence of the IFL...
    8)

EDIT: After reading this, I realized how much of an a$shole I sounded like. I didn't want to come accross as sounding condescending. It just makes me mad that just as I seem on the brink of being able to get myself a ticket, a potentially price-raising event happens. Forgive me if I sounded like I was claiming American superiority.
    -Sno

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

There was big talk about this last season, with a game at the new Wembley stadium being mooted, however building delays put that idea on ice and very little has been heard until now. The details given in the article are basically what was talked about last year, the only difference being 2 games a year as opposed to 1, which would mean losing a home game every 16 years instead of 32.

Obviously I would love it if I had a chance to see the Vikes play live because I can't afford to go to a game in Minny for the foreseeable future but at the same time I can understand why fans in and around the twin cities would oppose this. I think it's all going to boil down to what makes the owners money and if playing overseas does, it will happen, maybe as early as next season.

the only way the vikings would probably play in a regular season game over there is if their ticket sales started falling, thats why the two teams chosen last year were selected, they could barely sell out their home stadiums; its not only a chance for others to see what we get to see, but its a chance for some of the less fortunate franchises to make some extra revenue

as long as they never make a team outside our borders and keep it the "NFL", then i dont care where they have exhibition/occasional overseas games

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    the only way the vikings would probably play in a regular season game over there is if their ticket sales started falling, thats why the two teams chosen last year were selected, they could barely sell out their home stadiums; its not only a chance for others to see what we get to see, but its a chance for some of the less fortunate franchises to make some extra revenue

as long as they never make a team outside our borders and keep it the "NFL", then i dont care where they have exhibition/occasional overseas games
    Maybe the first teams picked would be teams with a poor attendence to test the waters but if this happens every NFL team would be involved ..........

there would be a rotation so that each team would lose only one home game every 16 years.

eh look at that, i didnt even carefully read an article that I posted

- Dan Calabrese

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I would love to see an NFL game in Canada, unfortunately the only place with a stadium that would be bigger or the same size as NFL ones is probably Toronto, and Toronto sucks
    :P.
    Bring the Vikes to Calgary !

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I can understand that people outside of the US would like to see live games - like any sport its better watching live than seeing it on TV. However if the NFL want to do this then I think it should only be done with pre-season games and not the regular seasons.
    With only 8 home games a year guaranteed then I don't think it would be fair to ask teams to give up one - even if it is only ever 16 years. Home advantage counts a lot for most teams and if you have a close division race then losing that advantage could count for a lot.
    It would be the same if the Football league here wanted clubs to play regular season games overseas- the fans wouldn't want it and I'd fully agree with it.

Keep it for pre-season !
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I can understand the NFL wanting to expand its brand over a global scale, and while hosting games in target markets is all well and good, I don't think it would work. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see an NFL game in Britain. The fact that it would have to be Wembley is even better for me (living in the commuter-belt to London an' all), but I certainly understand the view of the American fans who would lose out as a result of the NFL management's aggressive global marketing tactics.

It's like a Premier League club playing a Premiership fixture in China to drum up interest. I'd be livid if that happened. Pre-season games and tours in the Far East or America is fine for Premier League clubs, everyone understands that football (I'm talking the REAL kind of football now for a moment) is a global business and foreign markets must be exploited for further revenue, but you can't do that at the expense of your bread and butter. This is where the NFL is close to going wrong (okay back to American Football now).

Pre-season games can be used to increase exposure in foreign markets while not sacrificing the local fans for the cause. While that's not a fantastic proposition for the foreign fans, you could easily sell-out a pre-season game between even the 2 suckiest teams in the NFL, at Wembley. Fans would fall over themselves for the chance to see the NFL in person. I certainly would, and I've even been to a Vikes game!

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

even though it would kick ass to see nfl action live in a stadium, i'm against regular season games overseas. it's not good for the players who are tired as hell due jetlag and both would lose home adventage.last time i heared they wanted to go to china instead of euroe, which makes sence. 1.2 bilion vs 300 milion people
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast