Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62
  1. #41
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,530

    Re:NFL concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft

    Zeus wrote:
    Why, oh why, must every thread that mentions the word "marijuana" devolve into the same discussion?

    The POINT of this thread (and the article, if anyone bothered to read it) is that these kids are increasingly willing to get high in spite of the potential risk to their careers.

    And that the teams are, increasingly, needing to judge the risk factor of this particular past behavior in deciding where a player fits on their draft board.

    =Z=
    The point is that the system needs changing, not the potential draft picks.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  2. #42
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re:NFL concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft

    C Mac D wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Why, oh why, must every thread that mentions the word "marijuana" devolve into the same discussion?

    The POINT of this thread (and the article, if anyone bothered to read it) is that these kids are increasingly willing to get high in spite of the potential risk to their careers.

    And that the teams are, increasingly, needing to judge the risk factor of this particular past behavior in deciding where a player fits on their draft board.
    The point is that the system needs changing, not the potential draft picks.
    That's a different thread. You'll find it in "Two Beer Minimum". This forum is for discussing General NFL information.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  3. #43
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re:NFL concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft

    Zeus wrote:
    Why, oh why, must every thread that mentions the word "marijuana" devolve into the same discussion?

    The POINT of this thread (and the article, if anyone bothered to read it) is that these kids are increasingly willing to get high in spite of the potential risk to their careers.

    And that the teams are, increasingly, needing to judge the risk factor of this particular past behavior in deciding where a player fits on their draft board.

    =Z=
    Because marijuana is a divisive issue. I'm sure if you posted a story about players being taxed on there cadillac health insurance plans that the conversation would quickly leave the nfl too.

  4. #44
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,530

    Re:NFL concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft

    Zeus wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Why, oh why, must every thread that mentions the word "marijuana" devolve into the same discussion?

    The POINT of this thread (and the article, if anyone bothered to read it) is that these kids are increasingly willing to get high in spite of the potential risk to their careers.

    And that the teams are, increasingly, needing to judge the risk factor of this particular past behavior in deciding where a player fits on their draft board.
    The point is that the system needs changing, not the potential draft picks.
    That's a different thread. You'll find it in "Two Beer Minimum". This forum is for discussing General NFL information.

    =Z=
    No, it fits here and has been sticking to the topic. When a mod tells me otherwise, I'll listen and move to another thread.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  5. #45
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re:NFL concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft

    Zeus wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Why, oh why, must every thread that mentions the word "marijuana" devolve into the same discussion?

    The POINT of this thread (and the article, if anyone bothered to read it) is that these kids are increasingly willing to get high in spite of the potential risk to their careers.

    And that the teams are, increasingly, needing to judge the risk factor of this particular past behavior in deciding where a player fits on their draft board.
    The point is that the system needs changing, not the potential draft picks.
    That's a different thread. You'll find it in "Two Beer Minimum". This forum is for discussing General NFL information.

    =Z=
    That thread "marijuana" has been locked.

  6. #46
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re:NFL concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft

    Zeus wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Why, oh why, must every thread that mentions the word "marijuana" devolve into the same discussion?

    The POINT of this thread (and the article, if anyone bothered to read it) is that these kids are increasingly willing to get high in spite of the potential risk to their careers.

    And that the teams are, increasingly, needing to judge the risk factor of this particular past behavior in deciding where a player fits on their draft board.
    The point is that the system needs changing, not the potential draft picks.
    That's a different thread. You'll find it in "Two Beer Minimum". This forum is for discussing General NFL information.

    =Z=
    It's impossible to discuss potential punishment, even non-criminal, NFL penalties, for marijuana use without delving into it's legality.

    If we discuss the "why" are they willing to use marijuana if they know they could be punished, we have to look outside of football as well as at their NFL career. In the article it discusses legality in some states, and the players mindsets that they don't even realize they're doing something wrong in the eyes of the NFL.
    One NFL head coach told me this week that in this era of some states decriminalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes, he has interviewed potential draft picks who didn't even seem to recognize their marijuana smoking constituted drug use in the eyes of the NFL.

    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/03/23/nfl.draft.marijuana/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0jDFsck2f
    This article was bound to lead to discussions of marijuana use and it's legality.

  7. #47
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:NFL concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft

    C Mac D wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    Don't act like you are the only one who knows the facts behind marijuana. There are valid reasons for supporting the legalization of it. But trying to use the "it's better than alcohol" argument doesn't work. Not only are you comparing inequatable data sets, but the premise of something being legal just because something else is is a bad basis to start from.
    Ok... again, you must have failed to read this. How's this work for a reason it's legalization:

    Marijuana in its natural form is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within the supervised routine of medical care.:

    Source:
    US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration, "In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition," [Docket #86-22], (September 6, 1988), p. 57.
    www.iowamedicalmarijuana.org/pdfs/young.pdf
    Please read full posts.
    You kill me...

    You are so set on arguing with people that you even argue when they share the same general belief. You should heed your own advice - please read full posts.

    Since you had a hard time figuring this out on your own, I am not against the legalization of marijuana. But there are a lot better arguments out there for its legalization than the "it's less dangerous than alcohol" argument. It's also less dangerous than elective surgery or fast food, why not bring that into it? If you want to make the argument, make it a good one.

    And lol at the attempt to make the North Dakota crack again. We've been over this before. I have actually seen and truly lived all over the world, not just in the narrow view of a 20-something kid who thinks he's somehow unique because he's a fairly intelligent web monkey and likes pot. Gee, I've never seen anyone like THAT before...
    lol... classic Nodak. Ignore the facts and resort to name-calling. A "Web monkey that likes pot..." A web monkey that's better informed than you, at least. You'd think we were arguing QB's again (btw... how's Rosenfels doing?).

    Again, you say that I only compared Alcohol vs Marijuana, which I have shown not to be true and that doctors as well as the American Government say it's... and I quote... "Marijuana in its natural form is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man.".. and yet, only you would ignore that and continue to go after one of the analogies I originally pointed out.

    Anyways, I just find it funny when someone tells me "how it is" when they are so far removed from the situation that they couldn't even tell you the color of the street, let alone what happens on it. I bet a lot of people could use a puff after stacking sandbags all over your city.

    But again, I have yet to see a viable argument out of you... but keep it up with the name calling. I can see why you were a cop.
    sigh... I don't even know why I try.

    Let me try this again - I am not against the legalization of marijuana. THAT is why you haven't seen a viable argument from me for its continued illegality. I go after the original analogy that you used because that was the one that was IMHO a poor analogy, and one that doesn't help.

    CMD: Alcohol is more dangerous that Pot and is linked to more deaths...
    NP: While I don't disagree with you about the limited dangers of pot, trying to claim that alcohol is more dangerous simply because it has been linked to more deaths than pot is a faulty comparision...
    CMD: To simply say, "The usage of alcohol is greater" ignores the debilitating effects of drinking and is simply not looking at the facts...
    NP: Again, I don't disagree about the limited dangers of pot. I just disagree with the blanket statement that alcohol is more dangerous because it is linked to more deaths. ... Pot is unregulated, and that in itself makes it more dangerous than most of the regulated drugs, including alcohol.
    CMD:You are only reading what you want to accept.

    And on and on and on...

    This is actually my favorite exchange:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    Back to the problem with the unregulated sale of pot - this in itself gives pot the potential to be much more dangerous than alcohol. Now I realize that lacing pot is rare, and when it is done it is usually done at the user level. When pot is laced from teh dealer, it can include anything from cocaine, crack, PCP, or even embalming fluid. There HAVE been deaths linked to the use of laced MJ. There have also been deaths that have occured as a direct result of the sale of marijuana. All of these problems could likely be fixed through regulation.
    C Mac D wrote:
    And saying that the "dealing of marijuana" is the dangerous aspect is funny to me... I live in Brooklyn, NY and haven't encountered one person that has ever had a problem... But a guy in North Dakota is telling me "how it is". Actually, I haven't heard one story like that from anyone in NYC. Not saying it doesn't happen, but don't make it out to be a regular occurrence. The fact that it's illegal is why what makes it dangerous, I guess some people just fail to see that...
    Do you ever actually read what I write, or do you make up your mind ahead of time of what you expect me to say? And BTW, Web Monkey isn't a name, or at least not a derritive one. I assumed you knew what it meant since you worked in the industry, but I guess I was wrong... Keep on taking the high road and hacking on cops and North Dakota though... <rolls eyes>
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #48
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re:NFL concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft

    Pot is unregulated, and that in itself makes it more dangerous than most of the regulated drugs, including alcohol.
    I don't get this part of your stance, please explain.

  9. #49
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,530

    Re:NFL concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft

    NodakPaul wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    Don't act like you are the only one who knows the facts behind marijuana. There are valid reasons for supporting the legalization of it. But trying to use the "it's better than alcohol" argument doesn't work. Not only are you comparing inequatable data sets, but the premise of something being legal just because something else is is a bad basis to start from.
    Ok... again, you must have failed to read this. How's this work for a reason it's legalization:

    Marijuana in its natural form is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within the supervised routine of medical care.:

    Source:
    US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration, "In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition," [Docket #86-22], (September 6, 1988), p. 57.
    www.iowamedicalmarijuana.org/pdfs/young.pdf
    Please read full posts.
    You kill me...

    You are so set on arguing with people that you even argue when they share the same general belief. You should heed your own advice - please read full posts.

    Since you had a hard time figuring this out on your own, I am not against the legalization of marijuana. But there are a lot better arguments out there for its legalization than the "it's less dangerous than alcohol" argument. It's also less dangerous than elective surgery or fast food, why not bring that into it? If you want to make the argument, make it a good one.

    And lol at the attempt to make the North Dakota crack again. We've been over this before. I have actually seen and truly lived all over the world, not just in the narrow view of a 20-something kid who thinks he's somehow unique because he's a fairly intelligent web monkey and likes pot. Gee, I've never seen anyone like THAT before...
    lol... classic Nodak. Ignore the facts and resort to name-calling. A "Web monkey that likes pot..." A web monkey that's better informed than you, at least. You'd think we were arguing QB's again (btw... how's Rosenfels doing?).

    Again, you say that I only compared Alcohol vs Marijuana, which I have shown not to be true and that doctors as well as the American Government say it's... and I quote... "Marijuana in its natural form is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man.".. and yet, only you would ignore that and continue to go after one of the analogies I originally pointed out.

    Anyways, I just find it funny when someone tells me "how it is" when they are so far removed from the situation that they couldn't even tell you the color of the street, let alone what happens on it. I bet a lot of people could use a puff after stacking sandbags all over your city.

    But again, I have yet to see a viable argument out of you... but keep it up with the name calling. I can see why you were a cop.
    sigh... I don't even know why I try.

    Let me try this again - I am not against the legalization of marijuana. THAT is why you haven't seen a viable argument from me for its continued illegality. I go after the original analogy that you used because that was the one that was IMHO a poor analogy, and one that doesn't help.

    CMD: Alcohol is more dangerous that Pot and is linked to more deaths...
    NP: While I don't disagree with you about the limited dangers of pot, trying to claim that alcohol is more dangerous simply because it has been linked to more deaths than pot is a faulty comparision...
    CMD: To simply say, "The usage of alcohol is greater" ignores the debilitating effects of drinking and is simply not looking at the facts...
    NP: Again, I don't disagree about the limited dangers of pot. I just disagree with the blanket statement that alcohol is more dangerous because it is linked to more deaths. ... Pot is unregulated, and that in itself makes it more dangerous than most of the regulated drugs, including alcohol.
    CMD:You are only reading what you want to accept.

    And on and on and on...

    This is actually my favorite exchange:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    Back to the problem with the unregulated sale of pot - this in itself gives pot the potential to be much more dangerous than alcohol. Now I realize that lacing pot is rare, and when it is done it is usually done at the user level. When pot is laced from teh dealer, it can include anything from cocaine, crack, PCP, or even embalming fluid. There HAVE been deaths linked to the use of laced MJ. There have also been deaths that have occured as a direct result of the sale of marijuana. All of these problems could likely be fixed through regulation.
    C Mac D wrote:
    And saying that the "dealing of marijuana" is the dangerous aspect is funny to me... I live in Brooklyn, NY and haven't encountered one person that has ever had a problem... But a guy in North Dakota is telling me "how it is". Actually, I haven't heard one story like that from anyone in NYC. Not saying it doesn't happen, but don't make it out to be a regular occurrence. The fact that it's illegal is why what makes it dangerous, I guess some people just fail to see that...
    Do you ever actually read what I write, or do you make up your mind ahead of time of what you expect me to say? And BTW, Web Monkey isn't a name, or at least not a derritive one. I assumed you knew what it meant since you worked in the industry, but I guess I was wrong... Keep on taking the high road and hacking on cops and North Dakota though... <rolls eyes>
    Oh, it's a derogatory name in the industry... but not "derritive".

    You didn't like my post comparing alcohol to marijuana, yet hundreds of studies and millions of dollars have been spend on studying the effects of both... side to side. Again, you probably missed this article I posted on the first page... really would have saved you a lot of effort (bickering) about my alcohol analogy.

    If you are unfamiliar with a topic, you should study it, not insult those who know more about it.

    Anyways, check out this article (again)... and carefully read it please.

    http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/#accidents

    Myth: Marijuana Use is a Major Cause Of Highway Accidents. Like alcohol, marijuana impairs psychomotor function and decreases driving ability. If marijuana use increases, an increase in of traffic fatalities is inevitable.

    Fact: There is no compelling evidence that marijuana contributes substantially to traffic accidents and fatalities. At some doses, marijuana affects perception and psychomotor performances- changes which could impair driving ability. However, in driving studies, marijuana produces little or no car-handling impairment- consistently less than produced by low moderate doses of alcohol and many legal medications. In contrast to alcohol, which tends to increase risky driving practices, marijuana tends to make subjects more cautious. Surveys of fatally injured drivers show that when THC is detected in the blood, alcohol is almost always detected as well. For some individuals, marijuana may play a role in bad driving. The overall rate of highway accidents appears not to be significantly affected by marijuana's widespread use in society.

    *Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse. “Legalization: Panacea or Pandora’s Box”. New York. (1995):36.

    *Swan, Neil. “A Look at Marijuana’s Harmful Effects.” NIDA Notes. 9.2 (1994): 14.

    *Moskowitz, Herbert and Robert Petersen. Marijuana and Driving: A Review. Rockville: American Council for Drug Education, 1982. 7.

    *Mann, Peggy. Marijuana Alert. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1985. 265.
    So, if all your saying is you didn't like my comparison to alcohol, I think your argument is dead in the water... or did you put up sandbags?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  10. #50
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re:NFL concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft

    jmcdon00 wrote:
    Pot is unregulated, and that in itself makes it more dangerous than most of the regulated drugs, including alcohol.
    I don't get this part of your stance, please explain.
    I'm pretty sure he means that it's unregulated by the government(since it's illegal) and because of that it's part of the black market.

    So there is no quality control, meaning you can get a laced, very dangerous drug.

    Because it's illegal, it's very risky to sell. Which is where the high price, and violence comes from.


    It's no different than booze was during the prohibition era. If you prohibit the use of a product which people demand, they are going to find ways to get it. This creates organized crime.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tackling an epidemic
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-18-2013, 09:04 AM
  2. New, and a little concerned
    By GimmebackmyRice in forum Free Beer!
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 11:37 AM
  3. Loss of Lloyd has Carolina concerned
    By Marrdro in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 01:16 PM
  4. I'm a bit concerned.
    By triedandtruevikesfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-12-2006, 04:08 AM
  5. Is anyone else concerned with the offensive line?
    By vegasvikingguy in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12-28-2005, 11:48 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •