Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

NFL concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/03/23/nfl.draft.marijuana/index.html?eref=sihp

NFL personnel men concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft class
    Don Banks
    Posted: Wednesday March 24, 2010 10:11AM; Updated: Wednesday March 24, 2010 11:15AM

ORLANDO -- There's a widespread belief within the NFL that the 2010 draft represents one of the deepest and most promising pools of collegiate talent in years. But in addition to the vast potential of this year's draft class, numerous NFL personnel evaluators told SI.com they are concerned about the increased number of prospects who have a history of marijuana use in their background, with players often acknowledging a failed drug test for pot in college in interviews with team executives.

SI.com interviewed four NFL head coaches, four general managers and two other high-level club personnel executives for this story. Due to the sensitivity of the topic, all requested anonymity in order to speak candidly about the issue.

According to one veteran club personnel man, 10 or 11 players who carry first-round draft grades on their board this year have been red-flagged for marijuana use in college, an estimate echoed by two clubs' head coaches. Another NFL head coach estimated that "one-third' of the players on his club's draft board had some sort of history with marijuana use and would thus require an extra level of evaluation as part of the pre-draft scouting process.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re:NFL concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft

That is a lot of migraine sufferers.

Shouldn't we be more worried about the gun carriers and shooting feet?

Just legalize it already. Who hasn't smoked pot in college?

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

lol.... wake up people. Everyone smokes. Your doctor and lawyer probably smoke. I guarantee you that over 80% of the entire draft class smokes pot, but some didn't do enough to mask it.

You can deny it all you want, but it will probably be legal soon and people might be surprised by who they see smoking it... because pretty much everyone does.

Hell, NYC is pretty much stoned 24/7.

The NFL needs to move past this and worry about larger issues than a few 19-20 year old guys who puffed.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

According to one veteran club personnel man, 10 or 11 players who carry first-round draft grades on their board this year have been red-flagged for marijuana use in college, an estimate echoed by two clubs' head coaches. Another NFL head coach estimated that "one-third' of the players on his club's draft board had some sort of history with marijuana use and would thus require an extra level of evaluation as part of the pre-draft scouting process.
    I wonder how many of those scouts went home and had some alcohol later.

I wonder which is more dangerous, pot or alcohol.

I wonder which is linked to more deaths.

I wonder...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Flidais is offline Rookie

This is one of the reasons I think the Star Caps case is fairly important.

Ignoring recreational use (I am not casting a judgment either way, I'm saying I don't wish to consider it in the context of this argument), many states are moving to legalize the use of medical marijuana with more considering it. The league is going to have to define it's drug policy in a more narrow fashion. "What players put in their body anywhere at anytime" is just a little too ridiculously broad.

(In a likely example) Say MN legalizes medical marijuana and Percy's doctors at the Mayo Clinic decide that this is the best way to treat his migraines. If he smokes up (to get rid of the migraines) but then "fails" a league drug test, is it fair to suspend him or not? Does the situation change when he physically treats himself in MN, but then travels to, oh, let's say, Atlanta for a game and fails the test there, is that suspendable or not?

Is it fair to deny him legal medical treatment (in MN) because he travels for a living and is subject to frequent drug tests? (One argues that most people who travel for a living would probably not get tested, making the change in legal venue moot.)

With the NFL's bizarre limits on pseudoephedrine,* I worry about medical rights and the individual states' rights to allow their populace to be treated.

This needs to be addressed in the next CBA. Deciding on the consequences for testing positive for pot isn't as easy (or shouldn't be) as they used to be.

*I would recommend not getting me started. All economists are libertarians in one way or another and my problems getting cold medicine really get me going.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

86 days until NJ's medicinal marijuana bill goes into effect.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

C Mac D wrote:
    I wonder how many of those scouts went home and had some alcohol later.

I wonder which is more dangerous, pot or alcohol.

I wonder which is linked to more deaths.

I wonder...
    Base rate fallacy

While I don't disagree with you about the limited dangers of pot, trying to claim that alcohol is more dangerous simply because it has been linked to more deaths than pot is a faulty comparision. Alcohol has a significantly higher usage rate, and so would naturally be linked to more deaths. It doesn't necessarily mean it is more dangerous. The common cold kills more people each year than AIDS does, but if given the choice I would take the cold any day.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Formo is offline Team Alumni

What does the legalization of weed have anything to do with the league's policies on it's use?

It could be perfectly legal, but if the NFL still has it as a banned substance.. Guess what? You still gonna get slapped.

But, all that's a moot point.. Weed's still illegal. Unless you have a doctors note and live in a state that has the medical usage of pot legalized, you light up at your own risk.

And I don't/won't feel a bit sorry for ya, either.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

I'm guessing the League bans a certain substance for 2 reasons:

1) It's illegal

2) It's a "performance enhancer"

Marijuana IS illegal (for the most part, putting aside the medical exceptions...and that's just in select states).

Marijuana is NOT, and I repeat, NOT! a performance enhancer. LOL

Legalize it across the board, and marijuana becomes even less of a problem than alcohol.

JMO

Flidais is offline Rookie

Formo wrote:
    What does the legalization of weed have anything to do with the league's policies on it's use?

It could be perfectly legal, but if the NFL still has it as a banned substance.. Guess what? You still gonna get slapped.

But, all that's a moot point.. Weed's still illegal. Unless you have a doctors note and live in a state that has the medical usage of pot legalized, you light up at your own risk.

And I don't/won't feel a bit sorry for ya, either.
    So to paraphrase, if your doctor feels medical marijuana is your best option for dealing with your health issue...

Tough shit.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast