Prophet Guest

NFL Blitz: Team-by-team reports

NFL Blitz: Team-by-team reports
    FOXSports.com
    26 June 2006

Team Report: Inside Slant

Vikings coach Brad Childress talked about the importance of having quality linemen nearly from the moment he arrived in Minnesota last January.

Childress didn't waste much time helping the Vikings put their money where his mouth was when it came to this topic -- especially on the offensive side of the ball.
    The Vikings, who had a league-high $31 million in salary-cap space entering free agency, moved fast by signing Pro Bowl left guard Steve Hutchinson away from Seattle to play alongside center Matt Birk and left tackle Bryant McKinnie.

The 28-year-old Hutchinson, who received a controversial seven-year, $49 million deal that includes a record (for a guard) $16 million in guaranteed money, will be counted on to help solidify a line that didn't have the injured Birk in 2005 and was shaky for much of the season.

The line must protect veteran quarterback Brad Johnson and also open holes for another key free-agent acquisition, running back Chester Taylor.

While the Vikings are confident in what they will get from Hutchinson, Taylor might be another story. There already have been rumblings that the 5-foot-11, 213-pound Taylor isn't in the best of shape and the Vikings aren't thrilled by his work ethic.

Remember, Taylor was a backup to Jamal Lewis in Baltimore and the most carries he has had in a season is 160. He only has four career touchdowns in four seasons. Taylor, though, is guaranteed $5.6 million in the four-year, $14.1 million deal he received from the Vikings.

That certainly isn't backup money and the Vikings will be looking for some big things from him come September.

The Vikings also used some of their money to get help on the defensive side of the ball, signing linebacker Ben Leber, defensive end DeQuincy Scott and safety Tank Williams. But with plenty of questions remaining at linebacker, the key might be the development of first-round pick Chad Greenway out of Iowa.

Greenway has been used exclusively at weak-side linebacker during the team's minicamps and Organized Team Activities. He has seen action mainly with the second team but there is little question the Vikings would like to see him win a starting role as soon as possible.

If the Vikings linebacker corps remains the same, and Greenway develops quickly, they could have Leber and Greenway on the outside and E.J. Henderson in the middle.

Team Report: Notes and Quotes

Inside Slant | Notes and Quotes | Strategy and Personnel
    -- The Vikings' minicamp last week was scheduled to go three days but coach Brad Childress elected to take his players bowling on the opening day. "I won't tell you who was high or who was low," Childress said. "I hate to embarrass those people. I was kind of the commissioner for any disputes."

-- The coaching staff was scheduled to work through last Friday before getting some time off.
    -- Receiver Koren Robinson missed the last few OTA workouts and the final minicamp so he could be in North Carolina with his son, who was recovering from surgery.

-- Receiver Troy Williamson, who had been sidelined since undergoing surgery in May to remove an abscess from his left hip, took part in the minicamp. "I'm doing everything that everybody else is doing," said Williamson, who could provide the Vikings with a much-needed vertical threat in their offense.

-- P Chris Kluwe (knee) did not end up doing any punting during the offseason as he recovered from surgery. That gave rookie free agent John Torp an opportunity to show what he could do.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "Football is played in pads. We've got some shorts All-Americans out here and we'll see if they can play with those hats on come a month or so." -- Defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, who is looking forward to training camp.

Team Report: Strategy and Personnel

Inside Slant | Notes and Quotes | Strategy and Personnel
    One of the Vikings' main focuses now will be getting their six draft picks signed before training camp opens late next month.

Having first-round linebacker Chad Greenway in from the start will be extremely important, considering he should have an opportunity to compete for a starting job. The Vikings also will have three second-round picks to deal with, including cornerback Cedric Griffin, offensive lineman Ryan Cook and quarterback Tarvaris Jackson.
    Signing Cook should be no problem; the Vikings took Cook at least three to four rounds before most expected.

At receiver, the Vikings cut down to "only" 14 players by releasing Jimmy Redmond. Koren Robinson will be atop that depth chart when training camp opens with Troy Williamson, Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson behind him. After that, though, the competition should be wide open.

FRANCHISE PLAYER: None.

TRANSITION PLAYER: None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (not tendered offers): CB Ralph Brown; PK Paul Edinger; RB Moe Williams; C Cory Withrow.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: None.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS: None.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED: RB Adimchinobi Echemandu; OG Adam Goldberg; S Willie Offord; WR Koren Robinson.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED: FB Joey Goodspeed; OG Artis Hicks; OG Steve Hutchinson; DT Ross Kolodziej; LB Ben Leber; PK Ryan Longwell; QB Mike McMahon; WR Billy McMullen; FB Tony Richardson; DE DeQuincy Scott; RB Chester Taylor; OG Jason Whittle; S Tank Williams.

PLAYERS LOST: RB Michael Bennett; WR Nate Burleson; S Corey Chavous; LB Sam Cowart; QB Daunte Culpepper; OG Toniu Fonoti; C Melvin Fowler; QB Shaun Hill; DE Lance Johnstone; LB Keith Newman; LB Raonall Smith; CB Brian Williams.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: NFL Blitz: Team-by-team reports

-- The Vikings' minicamp last week was scheduled to go three days but coach Brad Childress elected to take his players bowling on the opening day. "I won't tell you who was high or who was low," Childress said. "I hate to embarrass those people. I was kind of the commissioner for any disputes."

I like this. It shows that Brad isn't just the hardass that everyone is making him out to be.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I like this. It shows that Brad isn't just the hardass that everyone is making him out to be.
    I'm just glad that he didn't take them fishing or waterskiing! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

or it shows that we arent working wen we need to be!!

what is he thinking???

bowling isnt going to get the new system learned

----

but on the flip side, it creates team chemistry... hopefully
    i m better than you, so just give up...

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"Potus2028" wrote:

what is he thinking???

----

I knew people would react like this. It's the first day of mini camp. He just wanted to get to know more of the players rather than working their butts off on the first day.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "Potus2028" wrote:

what is he thinking???

----

I knew people would react like this. It's the first day of mini camp. He just wanted to get to know more of the players rather than working their butts off on the first day.
    Building relationships is extremely important. So is moral. Sometime the most effective management strategy is to put the whip away for a little bit. I think it was a good call on his part.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=