i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

NFL approves new rule to kickoff from 35.....

No change to touchback rules:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ee38c1/article/nfl-moves-kickoffs-to-35yard-line-touchbacks-unchanged?module=HP_headlines

NFL kickoffs will take place at the 35-yard line -- not the 30 -- under a modified proposal passed by team owners Tuesday at the league's annual meeting in New Orleans, but not everybody is happy about it.
    Touchbacks will continue to be brought out to the 20, and teams still will be allowed to use the two-man blocking wedge.
    Competition committee chairman Rich McKay said coaches were concerned about an increase in high kicks from the 35 intended to trap returning teams deep and severely decreasing the number of returns. He also said the two-man wedge wasn't a driving force in the uptick in injuries on kickoffs. Indeed, more injuries occur in coverage than on the return squads.[good point]
    One thing I find interesting, while this could help extend Longwells career, it brings a whole other aspect into the game.

Currently, the best play was to boot it clean through the endzone. Now, some strong-legged kickers can just kick a high kick, fielded at the 5, and if the kickoff team is good enough, tackle him around the 15.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: NFL approves new rule to kickoff from 35.....

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1092241

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ee38c1/article/nfl-moves-kickoffs-to-35yard-line-touchbacks-unchanged?module=HP_headlines

NFL kickoffs will take place at the 35-yard line -- not the 30 -- under a modified proposal passed by team owners Tuesday at the league's annual meeting in New Orleans, but not everybody is happy about it.
    Touchbacks will continue to be brought out to the 20, and teams still will be allowed to use the two-man blocking wedge.
    Competition committee chairman Rich McKay said coaches were concerned about an increase in high kicks from the 35 intended to trap returning teams deep and severely decreasing the number of returns. He also said the two-man wedge wasn't a driving force in the uptick in injuries on kickoffs. Indeed, more injuries occur in coverage than on the return squads.[good point]
    One thing I find interesting, while this could help extend Longwells career, it brings a whole other aspect into the game.

Currently, the best play was to boot it clean through the endzone. Now, some strong-legged kickers can just kick a high kick, fielded at the 5, and if the kickoff team is good enough, tackle him around the 15.
    probably why the likes of Chicago have been whining about the proposals as that negates one of the strengths of their team.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

dfosterf is offline Coach

This rule change helped my Packers more than any other team in the division, imo.

We (Pack) cannot seem to find a decent return man, and as evidenced by that (extraordinarily embarrassing) return by a NE O-lineman (for crissakes) against our kick-off team, we are quite spotty in kickoff coverage as well.

As far as players go, Jarett Bush might be in some trouble come cut day in Green Bay. His value is as a special teams "gunner" on kick-offs, and as an "emergency" (imo) CB. Notwithstanding his interception in the SB, he has been a liability as a defender from the line of scrimmage, and this rule change MIGHT prompt the Pack to (finally, again-imo) cut ties with Bush.

It might also mean some trouble for Mason Crosby, as his strength is leg strength, with below average accuracy as a FG kicker overall. Much like you see the advantage for Longwell in kick offs with the rule change, I see an advantage in a possible switch in kickers, with a tad more emphasis on accuracy over leg strength. This is just a possibility, and I only bring it up because Mason is in a contract year.

I don't know if any of this post is of interest to the rest of you, but imo, it should be. This rule change should help negate a (the?)glaring weakness of the Packers, who not only lost games due to a terrible kicking and kick return game, they seemed to get themselves in trouble due to this aspect even in many of the games they wound up winning.

Watch, now Ted is going to get us (me-us :P ) a threat returner early in the draft. He always rolls somewhat contrarian to what might seem logical at the time.

Many, many fans do not like this rule change, and just being honest, I can understand why. Kickoffs can be game changing, and this rule is definitely on the side of making the game itself less exciting, not more. Unfortunately, my Puker fandom has to trump "the good of the game", and will definitely take "less excitement" on special teams going in to next season and the forseeable future. FYI, last time the Pack returned a kickoff for a TD, I think a couple of Brontosauruses were blocking for us, at least that's my recollection. :P

Rule change helped (in order)

Green Bay
    Minnesota
    Detroit
    Chicago

Again, imo

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Almost the same tactics that the punt team uses.

Long story short, no reason to draft WR's/DB's/RB's now that can also be returners.

Sometimes its humorous what the league does. The last change was to get the return game back into the game. Now they are trying to limit it again so that we can keep returners healthy.

Atleast for me, they are trying to protect the wrong returner. Punt returns are a heck of alot more dangerous.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092289

Long story short, no reason to draft WR's/DB's/RB's now that can also be returners.

Sometimes its humorous what the league does. The last change was to get the return game back into the game. Now they are trying to limit it again so that we can keep returners healthy.

Atleast for me, they are trying to protect the wrong returner. Punt returns are a heck of alot more dangerous.
    I don't care for the change. If kickers can hang a ball short consistantly, return teams will probably have to counter with 2 return men deep.

It would have been interesting to move the kickoff up and spot touchbcks at the 10 yard line. That defeat the purpose of safety, but insure most kickoffs were returned, even if a touchback.

Guess they could have not given the kicking team a running start. Make them wait until the ball is contacted before they could move. That would help safety a little perhaps.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092289

Well returners can opt for a fair catch for both kick offs and punt returns, and the league could have looked at the CFL 5 yard bubble that returners are given to catch the ball before the coverage teams can mow them down....but this is the NFL and too much tweaking of the rules......could well change the game I liked. I do understand the players safety issues but I'd also like to see a game that doesn't have too many stoppages while flags are thrown, refs have to meet to discuss the new rule, pick up the flag, or talk for 2 minutes to explain the flag, then a coach chellenges the call but has to pick up his flag(oh wait Chidress was fired)........is this really happening to squeeze in a few extra beer commericals :blink:

delviking is offline Starter

not a fan of the change but it does make older kickers like longwell a bit more intresting because we know he doesnt get them into the endzone so our coverage team would have the advanced knowledge that the ball will be returned.

Plus i really dont wanna return to the days of seeing 20 yard field goals missed.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1092361
    Well returners can opt for a fair catch for both kick offs and punt returns, and the league could have looked at the CFL 5 yard bubble that returners are given to catch the ball before the coverage teams can mow them down....but this is the NFL and too much tweaking of the rules......could well change the game I liked. I do understand the players safety issues but I'd also like to see a game that doesn't have too many stoppages while flags are thrown, refs have to meet to discuss the new rule, pick up the flag, or talk for 2 minutes to explain the flag, then a coach chellenges the call but has to pick up his flag(oh wait Chidress was fired)........is this really happening to squeeze in a few extra beer commericals :blink:
    You crack me up my friend. :laugh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg