mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

NFL Admits Zebra Screw-Ups ...

POSTED 8:42 a.m. EST; UPDATED 8:58 a.m. EST, November 29, 2005

LEAGUE ADMITS ZEBRA SCREW-UPS
    ProFootballTalk
    Mike Florio

It's safe to assume that referee Larry Nemmers won't be working the Super Bowl this year.

According to The Associated Press, the NFL surprisingly has admitted that Nemmers screwed up not one but two touchdown reviews in Sunday's Giants-Seahawks game, giving the G-men not one but two touchdowns that they didn't deserve.

In both instances, Nemmers concluded that there wasn't sufficiently indisputable visual evidence to overturn the calls made on the field -- that Jeremy Shockey late in the first half and Amani Toomer late in the game had secured receptions in the end zone.

Seattle coach Mike Holmgren, a member of the eight-person Competition Committee, addressed the topic on Monday: "I had a conversation with the league, and there were mistakes that were made, which we felt at the time."

Interestingly, the Big Show has been cited as the source of explanations regarding the very high standard of proof required to overturn the live call via video review. To loosely paraphrase, we recall someone (we think it was Chris Mortensen) explaining that Holmgren believes that "indisputable" means 50 drunks in a bar will unanimously agree that the call should be overturned.

And we've previously railed on the refs for failing to keep the spirit of the replay rule in mind when reviewing calls. Instead, too many of them have used video as a tool for making the call from scratch. Several weeks back, a touchdown catch that could have changed the Lions' abysmal season was overturned based upon the cross-referencing of two separate video angles, neither of which clearly showed that ball wasn't caught.

In this specific case, the evidence was indisputable, and the calls should have been overturned. Toomer's left foot clearly had rolled into the sideline border before his second foot hit in bounds, and Shockey clearly didn't have the ball long enough before he got jacked up in the end zone.

With all that said, we can't help but wonder whether the NFL would have been so forthcoming about Nemmers' blunder if Giants kicker Jay Feely had made any of those three missed kicks, which would have delivered an undeserved victory to the boys in blue. Our guess is that, if the bad calls had affected the outcome of the game, nothing would have been said.

And that, in turn, will make us forever skeptical when the NFL says nothing at all regarding a possibly bad call that did in fact determine the winner and the loser.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: NFL Admits Zebra Screw-Ups ...

"50 drunks in a bar will unamiously agree"

ccasion5: :laughing3: ccasion5:
    I.B.O.T. #213

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Yeah, those calls were garbage, especially the Shockey call.

It seems like certain teams and certain players are getting calls these days, it's unfair, and quite frankly ridiculous but I do think it's happening. Similar to how Michael Jordan was always allowed that extra step, simply because he was Michael Jordan.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Del Rio Guest

The one call that kills me, and I mean pisses me off beyond belief is after a passing play and the WR is screaming and begging for a pass interference call and like 10 seconds later there goes that flag. WTF?

Hell Harrison last night did it to. The play was right infront of the sideline judge and he didn't throw a flag then Harrison started throwing his arms around and pointing at the refs.

All of a sudden the ref was like "Oh shit that is Marvin, he's good I bet he did get interfered with" *throws flag*

Make the call or don't make the call. That crap happens ALL the time.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

I know what you mean Del. It pisses me off so bad when the ref throws a flag after the whistle is blown for a holding or pass interference or illegal block or something like that.

About the calls in the Giants game. I didn't get a chance to watch that game so I don't really know what to say but I have heard a lot of people complaining about the calls in that game.

Guruzen is offline Starter

I don't think everyone appreciates just how hard it is to ref an NFL game. It's a real tough job with things going so fast and instant replay doesn't necessarily make it easier. We have the luxury of seeing it in our lounge rooms with TV commentary whilst the refs are under that hood with the clock ticking. That indisputable rule sounds simple but everyone's got their own standards and it's gotta be hard for a ref to make a call that he doesn't believe is true.

The refs are trained to be decisive, even if it sometimes results in a bad call. Things happen at light speed in the NFL and sometimes when there is a delayed call, it's probably because the ref is replaying the image in his mind, rather than giving in to a player's protest. Give these guys a break... it's a tough job and they're only human.

I wonder if the refs watch film of their games to review their calls... what else do these guys do for the rest of the week?

Del Rio Guest

Yes they watch film just like the players do.

They watch it every week.

It is a hard job, and they know it is and they still took it on. When one bad call can erase the work of a whole team in a second they cannot get it wrong. It is unacceptable.

The thing with NFL refs is they are reviewed for mistakes and the more you make the less you get to ref. There is accountability at that level.

6-KINGS Guest

The question is..........Was it really a "mistake"?
    Or was there a plan to change the outcome due too $$ bet on the game.

Mulder!!!! Scully!!!!!!
    Open "The Bet Files"

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"6-KINGS" wrote:
    The question is..........Was it really a "mistake"?
    Or was there a plan to change the outcome due too $$ bet on the game.

Mulder!!!! Scully!!!!!!
    Open "The Bet Files"

Those were tough calls, I don't believe it is do to a fix and betting.

I do believe in KARMA in this case, or Yin/Yang, whatever you want to call it.

All I can say is sometimes Karma is at work.

3 Missed FGs by G-men.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"mnjamie" wrote:
    POSTED 8:42 a.m. EST; UPDATED 8:58 a.m. EST, November 29, 2005

LEAGUE ADMITS ZEBRA SCREW-UPS
    ProFootballTalk
    Mike Florio

It's safe to assume that referee Larry Nemmers won't be working the Super Bowl this year.

According to The Associated Press, the NFL surprisingly has admitted that Nemmers screwed up not one but two touchdown reviews in Sunday's Giants-Seahawks game, giving the G-men not one but two touchdowns that they didn't deserve.
    This is bad reporting according to the NFL. It was the Seahawks that made a statement and it was taken out of context or something. The league made a statement announced on NFL TA last night that the league never made such statements.

They never come out and say we were dead wrong. They always spin it so that it looks like they did right.