Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: NFCN coaching grades...

    "V4L" wrote:
    Realistic Grades:

    Lovie- D

    Marinelli- D

    Chilly- C

    McCarthy- A

    Give or take a plus or minus in there
    Looks good to me.

  2. #12
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: NFCN coaching grades...

    "marstc09" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Realistic Grades:

    Lovie- D

    Marinelli- D

    Chilly- C

    McCarthy- A

    Give or take a plus or minus in there
    Looks good to me.

    Thank you sir

  3. #13
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: NFCN coaching grades...

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    Brad Childress | Minnesota Vikings

    Childress was not a popular figure last season with many players, the media and fans, and he made only minor changes to assuage the critics who claimed he was too hard-headed and straight-laced. And early this season, he fostered his reputation with his conservative handling of Adrian Peterson’s touches, despite the rookie’s early success. Childress also was criticized for his insistence on playing QB Tarvaris Jackson, who looked still-green and rushed. Defensively, Childress and coordinator Leslie Frazier took heat for sitting too much in their base Tampa-2 system, which led to the pass defense getting torched often. Eventually, the coaches changed their approach with these things and more, using Peterson more often, getting more out of Jackson during a five-game win streak and changing up defensive looks and having success despite missing a few starters. It was a run that got the Vikings into solid playoff position going into their matchup with the Redskins in Week 16. But Childress was thoroughly outcoached by Joe Gibbs and Co. in the game. Peterson was bottled up, Jackson was terrible and the defense had few answers for QB Todd Collins, of all people. It was a mixed bag for the Vikings and Childress, both of whom improved in Year Two — just not enough.

    Grade: B-minus
    That's too high. If it wasn't for the play of AD, that would be an F-

    Fire Childress.
    What would McCarthy's rating be with out Favre? What would Smith's
    rating be with out Urlacher?
    The point is that just about every team has a superstar, it is how you use those players that determines how good of a coach you are. Plus, during the vikings 5 game winning streak Peterson was not that impressive.
    Exactly.
    Why do people want to hold that against him?
    Dungy has Manning, SD Coach (who I cannot think of right now) has LT, Billichuckster has Brady, etc.

  4. #14
    pack93z's Avatar
    pack93z is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,465

    Re: NFCN coaching grades...

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    What would McCarthy's rating be with out Favre? What would Smith's
    rating be with out Urlacher?
    The point is that just about every team has a superstar, it is how you use those players that determines how good of a coach you are. Plus, during the vikings 5 game winning streak Peterson was not that impressive.
    Exactly.
    Why do people want to hold that against him?
    Dungy has Manning, SD Coach (who I cannot think of right now) has LT, Billichuckster has Brady, etc.
    Too be honest, we would not have won 13 games without Favre at QB, would we have been a playoff team; probably because I think we played solid enough defense to compete and from what Rodgers has shown in "limited" time he looked okay. But that is a guess, we could have been in the tank too because opposing D's won't have to respect the pass as strongly as they did.

    MM is the right coach for a young team though and to totally discount his performance would be incorrect as well, I am anxious to see how next year plays out for MM.. was it a Saints type wonder year or can MM sustain a winning program with another year of change in the roster.. with or without Favre.


  5. #15
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278

    Re: NFCN coaching grades...

    "pack93z" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    What would McCarthy's rating be with out Favre? What would Smith's
    rating be with out Urlacher?
    The point is that just about every team has a superstar, it is how you use those players that determines how good of a coach you are. Plus, during the vikings 5 game winning streak Peterson was not that impressive.
    Exactly.
    Why do people want to hold that against him?
    Dungy has Manning, SD Coach (who I cannot think of right now) has LT, Billichuckster has Brady, etc.
    Too be honest, we would not have won 13 games without Favre at QB, would we have been a playoff team; probably because I think we played solid enough defense to compete and from what Rodgers has shown in "limited" time he looked okay. But that is a guess, we could have been in the tank too because opposing D's won't have to respect the pass as strongly as they did.

    MM is the right coach for a young team though and to total discount his performance would be incorrect as well, I am anxious to see how next year plays out for MM.. was it a Saints type wonder year or can MM sustain a winning program with another year of change in the roster.. with or without Favre.
    To be honest when they picked McCarthy as their head coach I laughed my ass off. Wasn't he the offensive coordinator for the 49ers, who had a horrible offense/team? I guess he got the last laugh on that one.

  6. #16
    pack93z's Avatar
    pack93z is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,465

    Re: NFCN coaching grades...

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    To be honest when they picked McCarthy as their head coach I laughed my ass off. Wasn't he the offensive coordinator for the 49ers, who had a horrible offense/team? I guess he got the last laugh on that one.
    I was too, like why in the heck are you hiring this guy.. the Saints nor the 49ers lite the world on fire on offense. With that said though, his job on offense is alot easier with #4 running the show out there.. basically he can run whatever sets or packages we wants without a worry if his QB will get confused or rattled because of it.

    What I am the most impressed with is how he is able to related to both the veteran players as well as the youngin's. Big question is can he sustain that for a couple of years?

  7. #17
    funkyasflea's Avatar
    funkyasflea is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    331

    Re: NFCN coaching grades...

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    Brad Childress | Minnesota Vikings

    Childress was not a popular figure last season with many players, the media and fans, and he made only minor changes to assuage the critics who claimed he was too hard-headed and straight-laced. And early this season, he fostered his reputation with his conservative handling of Adrian Peterson’s touches, despite the rookie’s early success. Childress also was criticized for his insistence on playing QB Tarvaris Jackson, who looked still-green and rushed. Defensively, Childress and coordinator Leslie Frazier took heat for sitting too much in their base Tampa-2 system, which led to the pass defense getting torched often. Eventually, the coaches changed their approach with these things and more, using Peterson more often, getting more out of Jackson during a five-game win streak and changing up defensive looks and having success despite missing a few starters. It was a run that got the Vikings into solid playoff position going into their matchup with the Redskins in Week 16. But Childress was thoroughly outcoached by Joe Gibbs and Co. in the game. Peterson was bottled up, Jackson was terrible and the defense had few answers for QB Todd Collins, of all people. It was a mixed bag for the Vikings and Childress, both of whom improved in Year Two — just not enough.

    Grade: B-minus
    That's too high. If it wasn't for the play of AD, that would be an F-

    Fire Childress.
    What would McCarthy's rating be with out Favre? What would Smith's
    rating be with out Urlacher?
    The point is that just about every team has a superstar, it is how you use those players that determines how good of a coach you are. Plus, during the vikings 5 game winning streak Peterson was not that impressive.
    I call "Randy Moss Effect" on this.
    The box was stacked when he was in, so he really had almost no chance.
    The only way he would have had a chance to do good is if Childress would have adapted...Like how I yelled "SCREEN PASS" after every play, but it never happened....

    I think Chilly was under the impression we had a recieving core that could take advantage of the stacked middle....little did he know that T.Will can drop any ball thrown to him, never underestimate his power. (cough-BUST-cough)

  8. #18
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: NFCN coaching grades...

    "C" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    Brad Childress | Minnesota Vikings

    Childress was not a popular figure last season with many players, the media and fans, and he made only minor changes to assuage the critics who claimed he was too hard-headed and straight-laced. And early this season, he fostered his reputation with his conservative handling of Adrian Peterson’s touches, despite the rookie’s early success. Childress also was criticized for his insistence on playing QB Tarvaris Jackson, who looked still-green and rushed. Defensively, Childress and coordinator Leslie Frazier took heat for sitting too much in their base Tampa-2 system, which led to the pass defense getting torched often. Eventually, the coaches changed their approach with these things and more, using Peterson more often, getting more out of Jackson during a five-game win streak and changing up defensive looks and having success despite missing a few starters. It was a run that got the Vikings into solid playoff position going into their matchup with the Redskins in Week 16. But Childress was thoroughly outcoached by Joe Gibbs and Co. in the game. Peterson was bottled up, Jackson was terrible and the defense had few answers for QB Todd Collins, of all people. It was a mixed bag for the Vikings and Childress, both of whom improved in Year Two — just not enough.

    Grade: B-minus
    That's too high. If it wasn't for the play of AD, that would be an F-

    Fire Childress.
    I thought the B- was a fair grade.
    JMHO

  9. #19
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: NFCN coaching grades...

    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    Brad Childress | Minnesota Vikings

    Childress was not a popular figure last season with many players, the media and fans, and he made only minor changes to assuage the critics who claimed he was too hard-headed and straight-laced. And early this season, he fostered his reputation with his conservative handling of Adrian Peterson’s touches, despite the rookie’s early success. Childress also was criticized for his insistence on playing QB Tarvaris Jackson, who looked still-green and rushed. Defensively, Childress and coordinator Leslie Frazier took heat for sitting too much in their base Tampa-2 system, which led to the pass defense getting torched often. Eventually, the coaches changed their approach with these things and more, using Peterson more often, getting more out of Jackson during a five-game win streak and changing up defensive looks and having success despite missing a few starters. It was a run that got the Vikings into solid playoff position going into their matchup with the Redskins in Week 16. But Childress was thoroughly outcoached by Joe Gibbs and Co. in the game. Peterson was bottled up, Jackson was terrible and the defense had few answers for QB Todd Collins, of all people. It was a mixed bag for the Vikings and Childress, both of whom improved in Year Two — just not enough.

    Grade: B-minus
    That's too high. If it wasn't for the play of AD, that would be an F-

    Fire Childress.
    I thought the B- was a fair grade.
    JMHO
    I did to but did feel like arguing the same points over again.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #20
    MetalMike-LoudVike's Avatar
    MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,291

    Re: NFCN coaching grades...

    yeah what I have seen on the grades of our divison of coaches. They seem realistic to me, But I have been told I may have a screw loose. I guess you can take a grain a salt to that one.

    Childress has improved among the locker room. plus the experts said the vikes would finish worse then 6-10 after the draft. Year 3 gonna be torture to wait for but well worth it.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bye-week grades: Offense and coaching
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 08:48 AM
  2. Orlovsky strikes fear into the NFCN
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-07-2008, 11:50 AM
  3. NFCN '07 Schedule-nonanalysis.
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 11:56 AM
  4. Orange in NFCN
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 06:03 PM
  5. NFCN 2006 Battle
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-07-2006, 10:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •