Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NFC team reports: focus on safeties (rankings)

"Marrdro" wrote:

I guess its not that I'm ready to pull the plug, but rather, I will understand if the FO does kindof mentality.
    If you contradict yourself on the same page I can't let that slide.

He is getting older, doesn't like to play in the scheme, has lost a step and his replacement is on the squad.
    Be gone with him at the end of this season and use the CAP relief on a guy like Kwill.
    Sorry
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I guess its not that I'm ready to pull the plug, but rather, I will understand if the FO does kindof mentality.

He is getting older, doesn't like to play in the scheme, has lost a step and his replacement is on the squad.
    Be gone with him at the end of this season and use the CAP relief on a guy like Kwill.
    Sorry
    LOL, nice catch, but not a contradiction. I think I expounded on it enough later to amplify my overall feelings.
    ;D

IMHO, McCauley/Gordon require 1 more year of seasoning and Tyrell Johnson (ESPN lists him as a CB by the way - Yutz's) will probably need a year or two as well.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Sorry
    LOL, nice catch, but not a contradiction. I think I expounded on it enough later to amplify my overall feelings.

;D

IMHO, McCauley/Gordon require 1 more year of seasoning and Tyrell Johnson (ESPN lists him as a CB by the way - Yutz's) will probably need a year or two as well.
    So your plan is to do to Johnson exactly what we did to Griffin.

I'm fine with that, but Griffin catches a lot of hate on this board. I just hope you stand by him when he struggles, is an obvious downgrade from Sharper, and takes longer than you thought he would to develop.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Sorry

;D

I'm fine with that, but Griffin catches a lot of hate on this board. I just hope you stand by him when he struggles, is an obvious downgrade from Sharper, and takes longer than you thought he would to develop.
    I never get down on a young player to the point of wanting them shitcanned for mistakes if they are learning on the field.

Those are anticipated.
    I will however start to get on a guy that has been doing it for 4 years (or more) and consistently plays bad.

Truth be told, I really like the way Griff, Gordon and McCauley are being brought along by this staff.
    I assume Johnson will be allowed the same path to mature/get ready.

If thrust into the role as starter this year (ala McCauley) because of injury I will have his back 100%.
    I will also have the coaching staffs back if they opt to play the kid and let him take his lumps as well.

Kindof is this staffs mantra isn't it?

TJ
    Cook
    McCauley
    Greenway
    Gordon
    Griffin
    AD
    Rice
    Allison

They love to let them learn on the field rather than sitting behind a vet.
    Again, not sure if I 100% agree with that process, but none of them are the worse for wear and seem to have no negative effects of going through that process. (Especially our QB).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Sorry

;D

I never get down on a young player to the point of wanting them shitcanned for mistakes if they are learning on the field.

Those are anticipated.
    I will however start to get on a guy that has been doing it for 4 years (or more) and consistently plays bad.

Truth be told, I really like the way Griff, Gordon and McCauley are being brought along by this staff.

If thrust into the role as starter this year (ala McCauley) because of injury I will have his back 100%.
    I will also have the coaching staffs back if they opt to play the kid and let him take his lumps as well.

TJ
    Cook
    McCauley
    Greenway
    Gordon
    Griffin
    AD
    Rice
    Allison

Again, not sure if I 100% agree with that process, but none of them are the worse for wear and seem to have no negative effects of going through that process. (Especially our QB).
    Very true, but all of those guys proved they could play in some capacity before being thrust into the starting role. The only exceptions are Greenway, who has worked out very well, and TJ, who has struggled.

If Johnson lives up to expectations this coming season, I have no problem with him replacing Sharper. However, he hasn't done a single thing in this league, and could be a bum. Thus, I have trouble comprehending why you are so ready to part ways with a solid player like Sharper.

Guys like TJ, Cook, Griffin, AD, and Rice all had vets in front of them. Most of them, due to great drafting, were talented enough to beat out that vet, or make him expendable. However, lets look at who they were behind:

TJ: Brooks Bollinger, Brad Johnson
    Cook: Marcus Johnson
    Griffin: Fred Smoot
    AD: Chester Taylor
    Rice: Troy Williamson, Robert Ferguson

Are any of those guys even near Darren Sharper? You could make a weak argument for Taylor, but it took a guy nicknamed PURPLE JESUS to bench him. If Johnson is good enough to replace Sharper or make him expendable, I'm ok with that. However, Sharper is a top tier safety and I just don't see it happening.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=45000.msg782569#msg782569 date=1211464542]

Sorry

;D

Those are anticipated.

TJ
    Cook
    McCauley
    Greenway
    Gordon
    Griffin
    AD
    Rice
    Allison

Very true, but all of those guys proved they could play in some capacity before being thrust into the starting role. The only exceptions are Greenway, who has worked out very well, and TJ, who has struggled.

If Johnson lives up to expectations this coming season, I have no problem with him replacing Sharper. However, he hasn't done a single thing in this league, and could be a bum. Thus, I have trouble comprehending why you are so ready to part ways with a solid player like Sharper.

Guys like TJ, Cook, Griffin, AD, and Rice all had vets in front of them. Most of them, due to great drafting, were talented enough to beat out that vet, or make him expendable. However, lets look at who they were behind:

TJ: Brooks Bollinger, Brad Johnson
    Cook: Marcus Johnson
    Griffin: Fred Smoot
    AD: Chester Taylor
    Rice: Troy Williamson, Robert Ferguson

Are any of those guys even near Darren Sharper? You could make a weak argument for Taylor, but it took a guy nicknamed PURPLE JESUS to bench him. If Johnson is good enough to replace Sharper or make him expendable, I'm ok with that. However, Sharper is a top tier safety and I just don't see it happening.
    [/quote]
    LOL, Sharper just pisses me off thats why I want him gone.
    ;D

JK, I also agree that Johnson hasn't shown anything to make me feel comfortable having him replace Sharper.
    Again, back to my statement.
    If the FO feels it is time, then I am on board.
    If they don't and want to resign Sharper, I will be onboard as well.

My hope is that Johnson is everything he is cracked up to be and he steps in and takes Sharps place as seamless as possible.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

The fact we had so many draft picks starting the past few years speaks volumes about the "rebuilding" our team was going through.
    Now, most of the pieces are in place, and the draft picks are "future" starters, not needed immediately.
    A wealth of talent is what leads to "learning behind vets."
    The pack had it in Favre for Rodgers.
    We've got it at S with Sharper, Madieu, and Boulware.

It'll be hard for Tyrell to break the starting lineup this year, but he'll be an ace on STs, and might see some special package work.
    We've even got good depth at nickel, so that will be another close battle for the third CB...and I don't see Tyrell consistently making it on the field there either.
    But, next year, when Sharper's contract is up, he won't have us over the barrell!
    If he wants tons of money, he'll play elsewhere.
    If he realizes the depth and potential the Vikings have, he may play for us another year or 2 or maybe 3.
    My gut feeling, is that he is closer to retirement than any of us know...he has been working the offseasons as an NFL analyst for years, and is obviously setting himself up for work after football.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on after this year.

When I was in my 20s, I recovered from nearly anything in a hurry.
    Now that I'm getting high into the 30s, I feel those long work days for much longer afterward.
    I can only imagine the punishment football would feel like...

On the DL our starters are looking good, and if James comes back healthy and Robison develops, we may boast not just the best DL in football, but the deepest too!

LBs, are also looking good with serious competition just to make the backup/ST spots.
    Cuts are going to hurt this year, I hope they make the right decisions!!!!!
    Maybe, hopefully, we can even get some compensation for some of our "extras."
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

"mountainviking" wrote:
    The fact we had so many draft picks starting the past few years speaks volumes about the "rebuilding" our team was going through.
    Now, most of the pieces are in place, and the draft picks are "future" starters, not needed immediately.
    A wealth of talent is what leads to "learning behind vets."
    The pack had it in Favre for Rodgers.
    We've got it at S with Sharper, Madieu, and Boulware.

It'll be hard for Tyrell to break the starting lineup this year, but he'll be an ace on STs, and might see some special package work.
    We've even got good depth at nickel, so that will be another close battle for the third CB...and I don't see Tyrell consistently making it on the field there either.
    But, next year, when Sharper's contract is up, he won't have us over the barrell!
    If he wants tons of money, he'll play elsewhere.
    If he realizes the depth and potential the Vikings have, he may play for us another year or 2 or maybe 3.
    My gut feeling, is that he is closer to retirement than any of us know...he has been working the offseasons as an NFL analyst for years, and is obviously setting himself up for work after football.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on after this year.

When I was in my 20s, I recovered from nearly anything in a hurry.
    Now that I'm getting high into the 30s, I feel those long work days for much longer afterward.
    I can only imagine the punishment football would feel like...

On the DL our starters are looking good, and if James comes back healthy and Robison develops, we may boast not just the best DL in football, but the deepest too!

LBs, are also looking good with serious competition just to make the backup/ST spots.
    Cuts are going to hurt this year, I hope they make the right decisions!!!!!
    Maybe, hopefully, we can even get some compensation for some of our "extras."
    An excellent post my friend. Congrats on the 1,000 as well.
    If memory serves they have all been of this quality.
    ;D

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456