Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: NFC Team Outlooks: 2006 Run/Pass Ratio Significance

    Solid pass protection gives the quarterback time to find the open receiver and throw him the ball. The quarterback gains confidence and gets into a rhythm of throwing on time while the defense becomes frustrated because of its inability to get to the passer.

    Sound protection is based on effective blocking technique. Blocking for the pass is more than the offensive player positioning himself in front of the rusher. The rusher is surging toward the quarterback. The blocker must stop this surge and force the rusher to start up as many times as possible or redirect him away from the quarterback. Technique must he drilled in game like situations and polished through repetition. Practice time allotted for pass protections should he proportionate to how much an offense will use the passing game.
    This year is all about how much our pass protection improves in the OLINE's second year in this scheme, last year it was horrible!

    Gotta love that our top 4 backs can all catch!!
    (CT, AP, MM, TR)
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  2. #22
    vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: NFC Team Outlooks: 2006 Run/Pass Ratio Significance

    "V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

    It seemed like the Vikings ran the ball more than that last year.
    Forget quickly.
    The rushing attempts were really sporadic last year. 14 one game 44 another.
    It tailed off at the end of the year too, when we stopped paying as much attention.
    Interesting strategies Chili.
    You go with whatever the defense is giving up. It changes from oponent to oponent.
    I don't agree with that. Good teams play their games and make others adjust to them. We passed more last year because opposing D's forced us to. I hope that changes this year.
    I must agree.
    Great running teams such as the Bears with Payton, Redskins with Riggins, or the Dolphins with Czonka, Morris, and Kick.
    They never changed their game plans.
    They went out and ran.
    It was up to the other team to stop it.

  3. #23
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: NFC Team Outlooks: 2006 Run/Pass Ratio Significance

    "mountainviking" wrote:
    Solid pass protection gives the quarterback time to find the open receiver and throw him the ball. The quarterback gains confidence and gets into a rhythm of throwing on time while the defense becomes frustrated because of its inability to get to the passer.

    Sound protection is based on effective blocking technique. Blocking for the pass is more than the offensive player positioning himself in front of the rusher. The rusher is surging toward the quarterback. The blocker must stop this surge and force the rusher to start up as many times as possible or redirect him away from the quarterback. Technique must he drilled in game like situations and polished through repetition. Practice time allotted for pass protections should he proportionate to how much an offense will use the passing game.
    This year is all about how much our pass protection improves in the OLINE's second year in this scheme, last year it was horrible!

    Gotta love that our top 4 backs can all catch!!
    (CT, AP, MM, TR)
    Ahhhhh you might be on to something there although you didn't know it.
    Made me do a bit of wondering and digging on why Memo might not be/have been in good graces with the Chiller and Tice.
    Might it be his struggles with Pass Blocking?...... :

    http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/...port=NFL&id=77

    Coach Brad Childress hinted Tuesday that the reason RB Mewelde Moore doesn't get significant playing time is his struggles on pass protection.

    "It really has to do with how guys look at different runs, their feel in protection," Childress said. "Mewelde had a couple excellent pickups (Sunday) in our pass protection. It's just more what you do well. Would you like every back to do everything well? Yeah, you would, but it's just a fact that different guys do different things better than others."
    http://vikings.kfan.com/sports/nflgu...7-705F03E8DE00

    The real battle is between Moore and Fason for the backup role. The coaching staff seems to like Fason a bit more, as Moore has really struggled with pass protection and his health. If the season were to start right now, it would be Fason as the first option off the bench. Moore is expected to be the top punt returner when healthy, but may have seen his hold on the backup running back spot vanish for good.
    http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIN/8765611

    How things have changed. Moore has impressed Tice with his intelligence, dedication and toughness this summer, particularly when it comes to pass blocking. A perfect example came Aug. 22, when Moore stood up blitzing linebacker Keith Newman during practice.

    "He really has worked hard on his pass protection, (evident) yesterday taking Keith Newman down the middle," Tice said. "Not something he would have done three weeks ago. So he is a very diligent young man. He wants to do well for himself, his family and for his teammates and coaches."
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #24
    Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,426

    Re: NFC Team Outlooks: 2006 Run/Pass Ratio Significance

    "singersp" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

    It seemed like the Vikings ran the ball more than that last year.
    Forget quickly.
    The rushing attempts were really sporadic last year. 14 one game 44 another.
    It tailed off at the end of the year too, when we stopped paying as much attention.
    Interesting strategies Chili.
    You go with whatever the defense is giving up. It changes from oponent to oponent.
    Definitely agree,
    but it doesn't apply here.


    Just a couple examples...
    We only rushed 16 times against the the Bills horrible run D and passed 44 against them.

    The game where we rushed 44 was against the Lions whos run defense is no better then their pass and rushed for 3.9 ypc as apposed to 4.1 on the season.

    Plus overall his playcalling didn't seem to work out too well.

    Of all the things I have defended Chili for, his playcalling is not one of them. You honestly can't tell me you approved of Childress' play calling last year can you.


    All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

  5. #25
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: NFC Team Outlooks: 2006 Run/Pass Ratio Significance

    "Billy" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

    It seemed like the Vikings ran the ball more than that last year.
    Forget quickly.
    The rushing attempts were really sporadic last year. 14 one game 44 another.
    It tailed off at the end of the year too, when we stopped paying as much attention.
    Interesting strategies Chili.
    You go with whatever the defense is giving up. It changes from oponent to oponent.
    Definitely agree,
    but it doesn't apply here.


    Just a couple examples...
    We only rushed 16 times against the the Bills horrible run D and passed 44 against them.

    The game where we rushed 44 was against the Lions whos run defense is no better then their pass and rushed for 3.9 ypc as apposed to 4.1 on the season.

    Plus overall his playcalling didn't seem to work out too well.

    Of all the things I have defended Chili for, his playcalling is not one of them. You honestly can't tell me you approved of Childress' play calling last year can you.
    If in fact we can prove that all the plays he called were ran as they were designed/sent in instead of a significant amount being audibled out of or poorly executed, then I would say no.

    Do you honestly believe that every play that was executed as a check down pass to the back 3 yards short of the sticks was called by the coach?
    :

    I think it is more accurate to say that I disagree with the teams overall execution of the offense vice what plays the coach might have called.

    What we can slight him for is making sure the team wasn't ready to execute the game plan.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #26
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: NFC Team Outlooks: 2006 Run/Pass Ratio Significance

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

    It seemed like the Vikings ran the ball more than that last year.
    Forget quickly.
    The rushing attempts were really sporadic last year. 14 one game 44 another.
    It tailed off at the end of the year too, when we stopped paying as much attention.
    Interesting strategies Chili.
    You go with whatever the defense is giving up. It changes from oponent to oponent.
    Definitely agree,
    but it doesn't apply here.


    Just a couple examples...
    We only rushed 16 times against the the Bills horrible run D and passed 44 against them.

    The game where we rushed 44 was against the Lions whos run defense is no better then their pass and rushed for 3.9 ypc as apposed to 4.1 on the season.

    Plus overall his playcalling didn't seem to work out too well.

    Of all the things I have defended Chili for, his playcalling is not one of them. You honestly can't tell me you approved of Childress' play calling last year can you.
    If in fact we can prove that all the plays he called were ran as they were designed/sent in instead of a significant amount being audibled out of or poorly executed, then I would say no.

    Do you honestly believe that every play that was executed as a check down pass to the back 3 yards short of the sticks was called by the coach?

    :

    I think it is more accurate to say that I disagree with the teams overall execution of the offense vice what plays the coach might have called.

    What we can slight him for is making sure the team wasn't ready to execute the game plan.
    Good points Marrdo. Lack of talent on the field was definetly a factor. Still, I think it is up to the coach to know what his players do best. If he knows WR are not getting open and Brad is checking down all the time, why run that play agaign and again?

    We have been over it a thousand times, but Chili questioned personnel before he question playcalling, and he jumbled the depth chart a ton. In the end you have to modify your stragies around your best weapons, and I don't think the coach did that last year.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  7. #27
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: NFC Team Outlooks: 2006 Run/Pass Ratio Significance

    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=35378.msg597373#msg597373 date=1183118178]

    It seemed like the Vikings ran the ball more than that last year.
    Forget quickly.
    The rushing attempts were really sporadic last year. 14 one game 44 another.
    It tailed off at the end of the year too, when we stopped paying as much attention.
    Interesting strategies Chili.
    You go with whatever the defense is giving up. It changes from oponent to oponent.
    Definitely agree,
    but it doesn't apply here.


    Just a couple examples...
    We only rushed 16 times against the the Bills horrible run D and passed 44 against them.

    The game where we rushed 44 was against the Lions whos run defense is no better then their pass and rushed for 3.9 ypc as apposed to 4.1 on the season.

    Plus overall his playcalling didn't seem to work out too well.

    Of all the things I have defended Chili for, his playcalling is not one of them. You honestly can't tell me you approved of Childress' play calling last year can you.
    If in fact we can prove that all the plays he called were ran as they were designed/sent in instead of a significant amount being audibled out of or poorly executed, then I would say no.

    Do you honestly believe that every play that was executed as a check down pass to the back 3 yards short of the sticks was called by the coach?

    :

    I think it is more accurate to say that I disagree with the teams overall execution of the offense vice what plays the coach might have called.

    What we can slight him for is making sure the team wasn't ready to execute the game plan.
    Good points Marrdo. Lack of talent on the field was definetly a factor. Still, I think it is up to the coach to know what his players do best. If he knows WR are not getting open and Brad is checking down all the time, why run that play agaign and again?

    We have been over it a thousand times, but Chili questioned personnel before he question playcalling, and he jumbled the depth chart a ton. In the end you have to modify your stragies around your best weapons, and I don't think the coach did that last year.
    [/quote]

    Agree.
    But not sure he had the weapons to modify for.
    I contend that he did alter the scheme a bit to fit the talent.
    Look what happened to CT.

    He wore him out from running him to much in an offense that is predicated on pass first.


    That was probably because he had WR's that either couldn't hang onto the ball or were mysteriously injured all the time along with an OL that kept having presnap penalties and a QB that couldn't get the ball further than 20 yds down the field with any zip.

    His TE didn't have enough time to get down field, again OL issues.

    Anyway, all water under the bridge and open for discussion (as it has been discussed a bunch).
    This year, (crossed fingers and lots of prayers) will be different.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #28
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: NFC Team Outlooks: 2006 Run/Pass Ratio Significance

    This year will only be different if Childress changes his philosophy, which he refused to do last year.

    In our "pass-first" offense, our passing game looks to be average on paper at best. We have relied on experience to solve OL issues and youth
    to solve the WR problem. Peterson was a huge acquisition but if we don't run more it won't matter. I am a firm believer that if we run the same style of offense as we did last year we will suck again.

    So either we are going to run more or players like Johnson, Cook, Jacskson, and all of the WRs are going to overacheive. Running more is the safer bet.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  9. #29
    vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: NFC Team Outlooks: 2006 Run/Pass Ratio Significance

    "V" wrote:
    This year will only be different if Childress changes his philosophy, which he refused to do last year.

    In our "pass-first" offense, our passing game looks to be average on paper at best. We have relied on experience to solve OL issues and youth
    to solve the WR problem. Peterson was a huge acquisition but if we don't run more it won't matter. I am a firm believer that if we run the same style of offense as we did last year we will suck again.

    So either we are going to run more or players like Johnson, Cook, Jacskson, and all of the WRs are going to overacheive. Running more is the safer bet.
    That is a fact V.
    Great post.
    I think with this team we should take the Herm Edwards approach.
    Run every down.
    3rd and ten, who cares, run a draw.
    OK, maybe not quite as farm as Herm takes it, but I think we should run first and pass second.

  10. #30
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: NFC Team Outlooks: 2006 Run/Pass Ratio Significance

    "Billy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

    It seemed like the Vikings ran the ball more than that last year.
    Forget quickly.
    The rushing attempts were really sporadic last year. 14 one game 44 another.
    It tailed off at the end of the year too, when we stopped paying as much attention.
    Interesting strategies Chili.
    IMO, when we stuck with it (the first 6 games) we were winning...when we went away from it, we started to lose.

    Also keep in mind that we went away from the run partially because we were playing from behind for a good portion of the second half of the yaer after our pass defense was exposed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings Insider: Team didn't pass consistency test
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 11:55 PM
  2. The Optimal Run-Pass Ratio (Marrdro and I go at it again).
    By V-Unit in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 12:21 AM
  3. The Team 2006/07 Season
    By skum in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-04-2006, 11:07 AM
  4. NFC North Rivals' Offensive Outlooks
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-04-2006, 06:20 PM
  5. 2006 All-Turd Team!
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 07:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •