Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lotza is offline Team Alumni

Re: NFC Team Outlooks: 2006 Run/Pass Ratio Significance

"Billy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

It seemed like the Vikings ran the ball more than that last year.
    Forget quickly.
    The rushing attempts were really sporadic last year. 14 one game 44 another.
    It tailed off at the end of the year too, when we stopped paying as much attention.
    Interesting strategies Chili.
    if we had a solid passing game it would have worked.

keep them teams guessing. haha

but you have to develop a solid and dangerous running system in order to pass efficiently. ouila peterson and taylor become our greatest offensive weapons both running and passing.

tarvaris can't feel the pressure to put the team on his back and have to pass to win games.

its gotta be run run run run boom 15 yard completion.

its gonna be good to have two rbs to share the load that effectively wore down chester in 06

Go vikes!!

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Lotza" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

Forget quickly.
    It tailed off at the end of the year too, when we stopped paying as much attention.
    if we had a solid passing game it would have worked.

keep them teams guessing. haha

but you have to develop a solid and dangerous running system in order to pass efficiently. ouila peterson and taylor become our greatest offensive weapons both running and passing.

tarvaris can't feel the pressure to put the team on his back and have to pass to win games.

its gotta be run run run run boom 15 yard completion.

its gonna be good to have two rbs to share the load that effectively wore down chester in 06
    Exactly, and since he shouldn't have that pressure, our offense may really turn it around this year.
    He has all the physical tools needed to be a great QB, backed up by a strong running game (hopefully).

As long as he plays smart, he could really do great things (assuming he even wins the starting role that is)

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

pretty sure he will be the starter.

however regaurdless of the starter.

same situation for all of them

Go vikes!!

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

I look for those numbers to be reversed this year.
    If Chili is smart we will run the ball at least 55% of the time.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Billy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

Forget quickly.
    You go with whatever the defense is giving up. It changes from oponent to oponent.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

Forget quickly.
    You go with whatever the defense is giving up. It changes from oponent to oponent.
    I don't agree with that. Good teams play their games and make others adjust to them. We passed more last year because opposing D's forced us to. I hope that changes this year.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

Forget quickly.
    I don't agree with that. Good teams play their games and make others adjust to them. We passed more last year because opposing D's forced us to. I hope that changes this year.
    Why then did teams abandon the run against us & go to the air?

They switched to what would work for them & didn't make us play their game.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

Forget quickly.

Using that website:

St. Louis, Green Bay, Detroit, Arizona, Miami, New England, Seattle, and Carolina all passed more than they ran last year. That is 10 of our 16 games vs. pass first opponents.
    Chicago, Buffalo, SF and the Jets were even.
    Washington was the only team we played that ran more than they passed.

So hey, maybe our entire schedule was just one bad mismatch. Or maybe our passing looks worse than it realy was because we played so many pass happy teams.

Looking back, the only teams that really changed strategies to play us was the Jets and maybe the Bears.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

"singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

Forget quickly.

"V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=35378.msg597373#msg597373 date=1183118178]

Forget quickly.

Using that website:

St. Louis, Green Bay, Detroit, Arizona, Miami, New England, Seattle, and Carolina all passed more than they ran last year. That is 10 of our 16 games vs. pass first opponents.
    Chicago, Buffalo, SF and the Jets were even.
    Washington was the only team we played that ran more than they passed.

So hey, maybe our entire schedule was just one bad mismatch. Or maybe our passing looks worse than it realy was because we played so many pass happy teams.

Looking back, the only teams that really changed strategies to play us was the Jets and maybe the Bears.
    [/quote]
    actually V thats a little off cuz aren't those stats including the viking games which could have easily influenced them.
    and new england was one of the best one-two punches in football in the running game and hardly attempted to run.

the bottom line is there are always adjustments to be made from a game to game perspective.
    but as for like a running game that is good it has to be able to produce week in and week out.
    if you are that good other teams can't stop it, or have to do extradinary things to stop it which opens up other stuff.
    both of your guys arguments are partly true, but neither one is exclusive to being right.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Of course we all remember the basic premie behind the WCO is to establish the run via the pass.

I've posted this link before and used snippets in other threads but I guess everyone still missed the whole WCO discussion if you guys are still worrying about how many yards they are gonna run for.

http://football.calsci.com/WCOHistory6.html

There are three main principles to minimize risk and achieve success with the West Coast offense. These include protecting the quarterback, timing the pass, and using multiple receivers (including using backs as receivers).
    And......

spread the defense over a much bigger area of the field, both horizontally and vertically;

create mismatches in the speed, size, or number of receivers defenders try to cover;

thrown on any down and any distance to avoid tendencies that defenses could key on;

maintain possession through the air just as other teams tried to do on the ground
    And the primary role of the RB during the initial phases of the game in the WCO scheme is to:

The main goals for the fullback and running back position in the West Coast offense are to be able to block and catch. In this offense these positions also have to able to pick up blitzing linebackers. The most important value for these positions is to be able to catch. These positions in the West Coast offense will probably have more catches than rushing attempts.
    Block and catch.
    At least during the initial phases of the game.
    Once the game is under control and the team is ahead, the backs start eating up the clock with more runs as well as some key passes to keep the defense off its toes.

Pretty simple KAO if you ask me.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast