[size=13pt]N.F.C. Scouting Reports[/size]

September 1, 2007,
    5:37 pm

By Clifton Brown
    nytimes.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: NFC Scouting Reports

Please can we just tee it up? I am so tired of the preseason drivel, lets get this thing going so we can get the crow on the BBQ.

Nightgaunt is offline Starter

Whats funny is this guy don't even think when he wrote this. Here's a tidbit about Minnesota. I mean cmon, at least THINK a little bit before you write some nonsense...

"Adrian Peterson, who was a force at the University of Oklahoma, has all the tools to be a star running back. But because the Vikings lack a veteran quarterback and a big-play wide receiver, opposing defenses will be able to focus on stopping the running game, which also includes Chester Taylor, who rushed for 1,216 yards last season."

:P

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Nightgaunt" wrote:
    Whats funny is this guy don't even think when he wrote this. Here's a tidbit about Minnesota. I mean cmon, at least THINK a little bit before you write some nonsense...

"Adrian Peterson, who was a force at the University of Oklahoma, has all the tools to be a star running back. But because the Vikings lack a veteran quarterback and a big-play wide receiver, opposing defenses will be able to focus on stopping the running game, which also includes Chester Taylor, who rushed for 1,216 yards last season."

I think he's spot on.

If I was going against an unproven QB who has only completed 52.6% of his passes this year, has yet to prove they have a big-time receiver (although Wade is quickly getting there), the team had a 1,200+ yard rusher & Adrian Peterson, I'd tend to focus on stopping the run also.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Nightgaunt" wrote:

I think he's spot on.

If I was going against an unproven QB who has only completed 52.6% of his passes this year, has yet to prove they have a big-time receiver (although Wade is quickly getting there), the team had a 1,200+ yard rusher & Adrian Peterson, I'd tend to focus on stopping the run also.

Its just not that cut and dry.........
    When you talk about gameplanning for the Vikes and the potential this offense has do you.......

a.
    Focus on stopping the run?
    If you do that then the QB can beat you with the pass.

b.
    Focus on pressuring/blitzing alot to keep the young QB off balance hoping he makes bad decisions which lead to bad turnovers?
    Of course if you do that it takes away from your focus on stopping the run which leads to play action working which in turn leads to getting beat by the passing game.

c.
    Focus on stopping the short to intermediate passing attack that is the staple of the WCO.
    That opens you up to the run and getting burned on a deep pass when your CB's jump obvious short routes.

Granted for all this to work we need to be effective at the run, the short pass and of course a few deep balls (Randy Ration Guys Love That
    ;D).

Anyway, bottom line up front, stuff like this is dreamed up by sports hacks who aren't coaches at all.
    I bet if you talk to the D-coord for the Atlanta Falcons he will tell you that they aren't just worried about stopping the run my friends but all facets of this type of offense.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I hope teams stack the box and blitz Tarvaris relentlesly, trial by fire will make T-jack better, faster. We know teams will try and stop the run, but can they? I see a lot of runs to the left and a quick short passing game, and if we get a zero coverage a big play downfield.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Nightgaunt" wrote:

I think he's spot on.

Its just not that cut and dry.........
    When you talk about gameplanning for the Vikes and the potential this offense has do you.......

a.
    Focus on stopping the run?
    If you do that then the QB can beat you with the pass.

b.
    Focus on pressuring/blitzing alot to keep the young QB off balance hoping he makes bad decisions which lead to bad turnovers?
    Of course if you do that it takes away from your focus on stopping the run which leads to play action working which in turn leads to getting beat by the passing game.

c.
    Focus on stopping the short to intermediate passing attack that is the staple of the WCO.
    That opens you up to the run and getting burned on a deep pass when your CB's jump obvious short routes.

Granted for all this to work we need to be effective at the run, the short pass and of course a few deep balls (Randy Ration Guys Love That
    ;D).

Anyway, bottom line up front, stuff like this is dreamed up by sports hacks who aren't coaches at all.
    I bet if you talk to the D-coord for the Atlanta Falcons he will tell you that they aren't just worried about stopping the run my friends but all facets of this type of offense.

You can still focus on the run & still throw some blitzes in there. The DB's & safeties will still be there for the pass.

If it doesn't work, they can always change their strategy, but I still believe they will focus on the run first.

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

No sense in getting worked up over it, Marr.
    We're going to continue to see articles like this until Tarvaris shows why Childress has so much faith in him.
    Until then, all the opinions and predictions about him (good AND bad) are nothing more than mere speculation.

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

I agree the article is spot on.
    Yet, may I add this little bit of silver lining to the dark cloud senario.
    I think its good.
    I mean anything that can take the pressure off of the kid so he can get settled into the offense is good. Let them load up the box with nine players, that stuff is going to end real quick after they start chasing Tight ends and receivers that are running 20 yards down the center of the field.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

Play action, 3 and 5 step drops, TE's running seam routes, Peterson and Taylor running flare and curl route's will end the 9 in the box sooner rather than later. Just have to burn the blitz a couple times early and that will open it up for us to run our offense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast