Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

NFC North race over. Bears can break out the banner

Published: September 27, 2006

[size=13pt]Bears can break out the banner[/size]

By Reed Schreck
    ROCKFORD REGISTER STAR

Chicago is 3-0. That’s great. It’s 3-0 in the NFC North. Race over.

The only chance the Bears won’t win the division is mathematical. Two of their victories came on the road. And even Green Bay won at the one place Chicago has to visit, Detroit.

They say first things first, and taking control of the division is priority No. 1. The Bears have done that, and likely will finish 6-0 in the NFC North.

That sure would help in securing home-field advantage for the playoffs — not that being home helped against Carolina last year. It’s still a goal, and obtainable and preferred.

As for the rest of the NFC North, are there three more mediocre teams in one division than Detroit, Green Bay and Minnesota? The Vikings probably will prove to be respectable, but should have put away the Bears when they had the chance Sunday. But they couldn’t hang on to the ball or the lead.

The AFC South has two dogs in Houston and Tennessee, and the AFC West has Oakland and an 0-2 Kansas City team that should show signs of life when quarterback Trent Green returns from a concussion. The NFC West comes closest to the NFC North with St. Louis, Arizona and San Francisco — but all three appear to be improving.

‘Finished’ is the word
    To have a truly enjoyable NFL season, a team needs to do whatever is necessary to win when it’s supposed to win.

Like what the Bears did to the Vikings on Sunday.

The Bears were favored, had the better team, trailed late, yet still won.

Coach Lovie Smith had a satisfying smile afterward when he told the media: “I like the way our football team finished the game.”

He said to be an elite team you have to be able to go on the road “in a hostile environment” and succeed.

So far, so good, with road wins at Green Bay and Minnesota.

Winning at losing is hard
    A buddy started a loser’s contest this season, where you pick one team you’re sure is going to lose that week.

Sounds simple, yet isn’t. At least on the weeks the Raiders aren’t playing.

Most people took the Titans this past week, and they were tied with Miami until a late field goal in a 13-10 game. Me, I took the Browns. And they led until Baltimore kicked a 52-yard field goal with 20 seconds to go.

Phew!

Fun with Olin
    Maybe Bears center Olin Kreutz can relate to the characters on “Lost.” That’s how he felt at times Sunday because of the Metrodome noise level.

“I was lost half the time out there. And if I’m lost, then everybody is lost,” he said. “Once I snapped the ball, I didn’t know what the (heck) was going on.”

Still, if Kreutz were on that island, you know he’d definitely be the one in charge.

Reed Schreck’s NFL Quick Shots appears Wednesday and/or Friday. He can be reached at 815-987-1381 or at [email protected].

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: NFC North race over. Bears can break out the banner

LMAO! Only 3 of 16 games have been played & already this putz is claiming the Bears have the NFC North sewn up.

Wait until they face the likes of Seattle.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Granted, he does a have a point when he says we should have put the Bears away.
    We didn't, and now we need to even the score in Chicago in cold weather.
    Starting 3-0 in your division is a good first step to taking it.

But it is still about 8 games too early to start pulling out the banners...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

kansas_man54 is offline Rookie

yes, we had that game won and blew it.
    but its way too friggin' early to be making predictions like that.
    the only thing that is fairly for sure is that it'll either be the bears or our Vikes.
    by looking at the difference in whom we each play at home and on the road, i'd say we have a very good chance at sealing up the division!
    anybody agree with that?
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanist bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"----Eleanor Roosevelt

Prophet Guest

Ridiculous article.
    The vikings are surviving the toughest part of their schedule, three playoff teams from last year in a row with a new coaching staff and new O & D schemes.
    The Bears are 'surviving' the easiest part of their schedule.
    The next time we meet up with them the Bears are coming off a three game road trip against the Giants, Jets, and Patriots and the Vikings new-look team will be gelling.
    To say any division is wrapped up after three games is mindless.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

I don't know... he doesn't make any convincing arguements, but what he's trying to say is pretty true. Chicago will win a lot fo games this year. couple that with the fact that they have 3 division wins already...... we are waaaaaay behind the 8 ball. Now we should beat detrioit and GB, so there's 4 divison wins. Now we have to go into Chicago and beat them like they did us. No easy task for anyone. IF we pull that out, we obviously have a chance. I think we'll win a lot of games too, but my overall point is: IT IS UNLIKELY WE'LL BEAT CHICAGO IN CHICAGO. can we? obviously. we should have won already. but will we? only if our offense steps up in a big way. It's definitely not over, but Chi will win a lot of games and staying step for step with them will be very difficult.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Let those arrogant pricks believe what they want to right now...it will make it all the better when they get brought back down to earth!!!

Of course, the Saints are 3-0 (with a convincing win over the Falcons...ranked NINTH in the latest poll)...I guess that the Saints should string up an NFC South banner across the Superdome too!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

i cant beleive it either, only 3 games in the season and saying the bears rapped up the nfc north title, alot can happen between now and end of season and we blew it in that game and it happens in football, but by time we meet the bears again, our offense will have played more together and be alot more effective, we made mistakes in that game and gave the bears the win, it wont happen again and we will beat the bears on their own turf and take over the nfc north
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I'm sorry, just becuz this guy gets his "thoughts" read bye the masses, dosnt mean he has ANY idea of what hes talking about.3 games into the season and Chicago is already the NFCN champs?Alooooooot of stuff my friend can happen between now, and the 16th game.This guy proves that hes a sterotypical sports writer.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

That writer just wammied the bears.
    Key injuries are sure to come now starting with their game against Seattle this week.
    Minnesota showed when you put pressure on Rex he panics, put Carolina up against these guys with Peppers breathing in his face every play and you'll see a lot more mistakes from Grossman.

They are in great shape, mostly thanks to the schedule, but they are definitely a beatable team.
    They didn't beat MN, they got the W, but their team showed they were far from dominant.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast