http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/26609/nfc-north-draft-analysis-3

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

Re: NFC North draft analysis & grades

good to have u back singer.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

I was a little surprised by the "Best Move" team but I'll also agree with

decision that one way or the other will define the tenures of personnel man Rick Spielman and coach Leslie Frazier

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

While I fell it usually takes several years to give a true grade for a draft by a team just to see who sticks as a starter or how long any of the guys stay in the league I also think this draft for the Vikings was setup for us over the last 3 years.

First thing that left in a tough spot was the lack of previous depth and true competition at the QB spot...thats all I'm going to say about that cause we've all talked about it for years and we really don't have any depth if we were starting tomorrow due to a long list of short term aged players and well one pick we've kept.

Second a wasted 3rd round pick this year used to get Moss for a couple of weeks, whether Spielman and Childress didn't talk about the importance of spending the pick or if its all Childress's and/or Moss's fault for their actions.........we now don't have Childress, any valuable use from Moss or the pick.

Third thing was the use of 1 year term contract, restricted free agent tenders and acquiring players via trade in the last year of a contract and not doing any extensions in the last 2 years. This one falls on the ownership group and I'm not sure if they're leaning on the lack of the cba or lack of stadium or both but it has left too many holes to fill with one draft. And if they think they are saving money then when free agency does starts we won't be spending what we need to fill the roster out with the same calibre of player that we might be losing. I've heard that an extension can save a team something like 30% over what they could end up paying to keep a player after he hit the free agent market or going out and trying to get a player of the same skill level.

So on that note I hope its a pass but thats as well as I'll grade it for now and I think I can see where Marrdro was getting frustrated

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "SharperImage" #1095712
    good to have u back singer.
    Yes, so nice to have you back! You were seriously missed around here because you always provided us with news. I guess we got a little spoiled. :lol:

HEY
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1095710
    NFC North draft analysis

Wow! I got the complete opposite from what I was expecting. The author gives Vikings' selection of Ponder "The Best Move" because they got "their guy". And Lions whole draft got "The Worst Move" because they didn't address their biggest needs. I kinda understand where he's coming from, but he clearly is not a big fan of the best-player-available philosophy.

HEY
    Blog Entries

NFC North draft analysis

Wow! I got the complete opposite from what I was expecting. The author gives Vikings' selection of Ponder "The Best Move" because they got "their guy". And Lions whole draft got "The Riskiest Move" because they didn't address their biggest needs. I kinda understand where he's coming from, but he clearly is not a big fan of the best-player-available philosophy.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1095715
    While I fell it usually takes several years to give a true grade for a draft by a team just to see who sticks as a starter or how long any of the guys stay in the league I also think this draft for the Vikings was setup for us over the last 3 years.

First thing that left in a tough spot was the lack of previous depth and true competition at the QB spot...thats all I'm going to say about that cause we've all talked about it for years and we really don't have any depth if we were starting tomorrow due to a long list of short term aged players and well one pick we've kept.

Second a wasted 3rd round pick this year used to get Moss for a couple of weeks, whether Spielman and Childress didn't talk about the importance of spending the pick or if its all Childress's and/or Moss's fault for their actions.........we now don't have Childress, any valuable use from Moss or the pick.

Third thing was the use of 1 year term contract, restricted free agent tenders and acquiring players via trade in the last year of a contract and not doing any extensions in the last 2 years. This one falls on the ownership group and I'm not sure if they're leaning on the lack of the cba or lack of stadium or both but it has left too many holes to fill with one draft. And if they think they are saving money then when free agency does starts we won't be spending what we need to fill the roster out with the same calibre of player that we might be losing. I've heard that an extension can save a team something like 30% over what they could end up paying to keep a player after he hit the free agent market or going out and trying to get a player of the same skill level.

So on that note I hope its a pass but thats as well as I'll grade it for now and I think I can see where Marrdro was getting frustrated
    I look at it this way:

To me the third round pick was a small price to pay to rid the team of Childress. I only wish they would have gotten rid of him 4 years earlier before he had the team in shambles. There might very well be a Lombardi trophy in Eden Prairie by now if they had made the move earlier.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

NFC North draft analysis

Thanks for the read my friend.

Earlier today I would have given them a F+ and that was based on the fact that I really liked their first pick and kindof liked the second pick.

Then today started......:laugh:

Long story short, I now would grade this one out as B+ draft. Some really nice additions added today should provide us what we need to get back on track this year.

Now all we have to do is resign some FA's that should have been resigned last year, and extend some players that need to be extended this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Chazz is offline Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095724
    Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1095715

I look at it this way:

To me the third round pick was a small price to pay to rid the team of Childress. I only wish they would have gotten rid of him 4 years earlier before he had the team in shambles. There might very well be a Lombardi trophy in Eden Prairie by now if they had made the move earlier.

Hmmmm....when you put it that way, that third round trade was a bargain...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast