Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

New NFL Rules for 2008

NEW RULES: There are three main ones -- Teams will now be permitted to have one defensive player on the field with a radio in his helmet to receive signals, as has the offense since 1994.
    “It’s an effective tool, having the ability to get the call in in real time,” says Indianapolis Colts LB GARY BRACKETT……There will be no more forceout rule.
    Now, a player must have both feet inbounds for a completed catch……And clubs now will have the option to defer the opportunity to kick or receive the kickoff to the second half.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: New NFL Rules for 2008

"Webby" wrote:
    And clubs now will have the option to defer the opportunity to kick or receive the kickoff to the second half.
    Huh?
    This is the first I've heard of this rule...and I don't understand it.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Webby" wrote:
    And clubs now will have the option to defer the opportunity to kick or receive the kickoff to the second half.
    Huh?
    In past years, the team that won the coin toss had to choose whether to kick off or receive the ball, and the opposite of that choice happened at the start of the second half. This year, the team that wins the coin toss has a third option. They can choose which goal to defend, and the other team would then choose to kick off or receive. The team that won the coin toss would then decide at the beginning of the second half whether they wanted to kick off or receive.

There's a 4th rule change that I would consider somewhat significant. There are no more 5 yard facemask penalties. If a players hand grabs/hits/brushes another player's facemask, but doesn't turn that players head, there will be no penalty. The only facemask penalty is where the player twists or turns the head of another player via the facemask, and that's the 15 yarder.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I do not like the facemask rule. We saw it tonight. The guy did not even touch his facemask, and got a 15 for it.
    We're bringing purple back.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"gregair13" wrote:
    I do not like the facemask rule. We saw it tonight. The guy did not even touch his facemask, and got a 15 for it.
    I like the rule but I didn't see that play. It should reduce penalties, especially those that were insignificant. I suppose now though when they get a call wrong it is a bigger mistake.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"josdin00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Webby" wrote:
    Huh?
    In past years, the team that won the coin toss had to choose whether to kick off or receive the ball, and the opposite of that choice happened at the start of the second half. This year, the team that wins the coin toss has a third option. They can choose which goal to defend, and the other team would then choose to kick off or receive. The team that won the coin toss would then decide at the beginning of the second half whether they wanted to kick off or receive.
    That is inaccurate.
    Choosing which end zone to defend is a choice, not a deferral.

Deferring to the 2nd half (which I've never understood at the college level, because they all end up taking the ball) is no choice.

It will go like this:
    Coin toss.
    Team A wins coin toss, chooses to defer
    Team B then chooses to receive the kick
    Team A then chooses which end zone to defend

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!